How does Portal link to Half Life??

who is gman?

Reaction score
Any ideas? I'm absolutely puzzled.

Some people say that the whole Half Life universe is a simulation but I don't that's true because it would be totally anticlimatical.

When is Portal set in relation to Half Life? And where? Is Portal a prequel to Half Life?

And what is Apperture Science? Is it a rival of Black Mesa? Is it run by the Combine? I think this is likely. Is it a training program for Combine soldiers?

One major difference which could be a clue is the two types of portals. In Half Life the portals are spherical and float in mid air. In Portal they are oval shaped and can only be placed on walls, and only on some materials.

A similarity is the turrets - the Combine's ones and Apperture Science's ones sound the same, and this is not because the designers ran out of sounds or couldn't be bothered making new ones, as someone (an insider) has said that they two games are set in the same universe. I think this is further evidence towards showing that the Combine has something to do with Apperture Science.

Please put forward any ideas.

It is my opinion that Aperture Science is a research laboratory where lesser known scientists who, like Breen, gave into the Combine are making Combine technology and weaponry (from the gameplay videos the enviroments are very combine, orbs, turrets, orb plugs, etc.) in an Arctic Base which is currently being raided by the Rebels, which explains the message and camera feed on the Aperture Science website. So they've been cut off from the world for 20 years and are being attacked.

Some whisper that Aperture Science is somehow connected to the Gman...

I like your idea Sheperd. Jintor, I think it is very likely (I suspect the Gman is linked to everything).

Nobody knows anything. Though, it can't and won't be Combine because they do not possess that kind of portal technology.

*SPOILERS*
We have no idea. In at least one preview it has been said that Aperture Science is tied into Episode Two and another stated that the Aperture Labratories[sic] seems to be abandoned (You can look outside the testing areas using portals and there's nothing going on, also, the recording are screwed up and contain messeges like "Welcome, insert name here") which means that it could take place at any time, Aperture Science doesn't even have to be operational anymore. And no, I don't have links to these previews or even remember what websites they're on.

It's not the Combine, A, because they don't have that technology. B, because they were attracted to Earth by the Portals Storms (I have a reference this time; the officla Half-Life 2 Stratagy Guide) so they could not have opperated on Earth prior to the Portal Storms.

How Portal and EP2 ties in together is one of the things I'm looking forward to most. Even with the portal gun and combine tech the atmosphere of Portal just feels so different compared to HL2 (Corporations, DOS style computers). Also what's the point to putting the character you play in Portal though all those tests? Is it just extensive training?

I know, I watch

Aperture science labs is a lab developing new weapons and equipment for the combine. the turrets are different because they are upgraded prototypes. the handheld portal device is probably an idea they had looking at the grav gun. and in portal you play a test subject who is given the handhelp portal device to test it, essentially by using it to work your way thru a test chamber built by clearly sadistic scientists.

Has it been said that the connection will be revealed in Ep2 and Portal because you know what valve is like. It's enough that they are going to reveal info about the GMan (about time, it's a miracle)but also about this portal aperture connection. Wow. Either someone has took over valve secretly or they figure that they can't stretch the story much further.

Aperture science labs is a lab developing new weapons and equipment for the combine. the turrets are different because they are upgraded prototypes. the handheld portal device is probably an idea they had looking at the grav gun. and in portal you play a test subject who is given the handhelp portal device to test it, essentially by using it to work your way thru a test chamber built by clearly sadistic scientists.

Nobody knows anything. Though, it can't and won't be Combine because they do not possess that kind of portal technology.

yeah... what he said ^^

Hmm, could they be Black Mesa's competition?

it very well could be the combine ... if it's in an arctic base it would be isolated and it could have been in the very early stages of development (hence the test subject) and not released to the main combine force yet ... i like the idea that aperature science is a labratory in the arctic and is being raided by mossman's team ... a portal gun could easily turn the tides of war ... look what the gravity gun (especially the super-charged one) did...

THEY DO NOT HAVE THAT TYPE OF PORTAL TECHNOLOGY. JESUS, LISTEN TO SAMON!!!!!

( :p )

Seriously, they can't even master large scale local teleportation. let alone a hand held device.

Slightly not on topic, but does the character we play in Portal link to Half Life?

I put my money on Mrs. Vance being the test subject...there have been pics where you can see a woman with glasses...

Oooh, thats a unique idea...

BUT. Supposedly those two die in their trip to Xen (ala the bodies when Gordon goes) and the techological advances suggest Portal takes place a fair time after the incident at BM...

It's not Combine, they still can't do teleportation within the same dimension.

I have a feeling it may be that secret project in the Arctic that Mossman was sent to discover/protect, or some other project that relates to technology that is vital for mankind.

It is my opinion that Aperture Science is a research laboratory where lesser known scientists who, like Breen, gave into the Combine are making Combine technology and weaponry (from the gameplay videos the enviroments are very combine, orbs, turrets, orb plugs, etc.) in an Arctic Base which is currently being raided by the Rebels, which explains the message and camera feed on the Aperture Science website. So they've been cut off from the world for 20 years and are being attacked.

That was a theory I had too... Because think about it, The combine ARE trying to crack teleportation, so maybe this is a small step in progress. But then again, that's like making the Ipod before the Ghetto Blaster. Logically, it makes TechnoLOGICally though, it doesn't add up. You make something big and bulky, THEN you down size it...

Back