How does your marks at school work?

Taboo

Reaction score
Edit: whoops, I meant "how do your marks at school work?" It originally read "how do your grades at school work" but I thought marks sounded hip so I substituted it without reading the title again. Damnit. Thats what I get for making a thread at midnight. Oh well. /edit

I've heard people mention whether they had semester/ trimester/ quarter grading periods and I was just wondering what everyone had and what they thought the advantages and disadvantages were. I was also talking to this German exchange student in my computer science class and he was telling me about how he had a "focus" in physics in Germany so the class should be easy for him. It sounded to me like having a major in high school. I thought this was weird since most high school students I know have no idea what they want to do career wise. He also said that most of his grade was based on participation back at home so people slept in class less. I thought it was weird that the teachers changed classes while the kids stayed in the same rooms with the same people all day too... anywhoo.

My school gives marks based on semester grading periods. The students just kind of pick whatever interests them with a required core curriculum and we rotate among the teachers rooms during 6 minute passing periods. I think thats better because then the rooms can be specialized for their curriculum. It does make some teachers more intimidating though.

Edit: whoops, I meant "how do your marks at school work?" It originally read "how do your grades at school work" but I thought marks sounded hip so I substituted it without reading the title again. Damnit. Thats what I get for making a thread at midnight. Oh well. /edit

I've heard people mention whether they had semester/ trimester/ quarter grading periods and I was just wondering what everyone had and what they thought the advantages and disadvantages were.

We have semesters divided into six-week grading periods. Advantages: only two averages that count. It makes it easy to bring up low six-weeks grades.

Disadvantages: the year feels so. long. Only one major break.

I was also talking to this German exchange student in my computer science class and he was telling me about how he had a "focus" in physics in Germany so the class should be easy for him. It sounded to me like having a major in high school. I thought this was weird since most high school students I know have no idea what they want to do career wise. He also said that most of his grade was based on participation back at home so people slept in class less. I thought it was weird that the teachers changed classes while the kids stayed in the same rooms with the same people all day too... anywhoo.
Yeah, it is pretty odd over there in Deutschland.

My school gives marks based on semester grading periods. The students just kind of pick whatever interests them with a required core curriculum and we rotate among the teachers rooms during 6 minute passing periods. I think thats better because then the rooms can be specialized for their curriculum. It does make some teachers more intimidating though.

Sounds exactely like mine. We are on block schedule though, meaning we have A and B days with four classes in each day.

Quarter system. We have 10 week classes which goes by really fast.

I have two Finals tomorrow...

I don't know... I left school while they were still handing out smiley faces for good grades.

:E

I know I have 2 semesters, 4 quarters, with a 2-3 week break seperating each quarter.

I don't pay enough attention to my schooling to know much else about it :/

We have new classes every month continuously for two years, so we have just one grade posted at the end of each class. They also have all the grades bumped up 5%, so in order to get an "A" in the class, you need a 95%-100%, a "B" is 85%-94.9% and etc. Plus our GPA is based on the letter grade, so it pretty much just ****s everything up. Im almost out of the school now, and literally half my grades would be one letter grade higher, if the school graded normally, and my GPA wouldnt be a sucky 2.8.

EDIT: Just checked again, yeah 12 out of 26 classes ive taken should have been a letter grade higher. God damn i hate the way this school grades.

Back