How HL2 Ruined My Day, Then Made It

M

meatcatcher

10:07 AM – My hands are sweating a little. I ask for the Gordon Freeman box. On the way out of Gamestop I give HL2 a big fat kiss. A small part of me wonders if kissing Gordon makes me a homosexual, another small part is glad it wasn’t the G-Man, but most of me is so desperately focused on needing to install the game, it feels kind of like I have to pee really bad, but out of the wrong head.

10:10 AM – I live 5 miles away from Gamestop, no freeways. I have no time for silly things like speed limits, unlocking and opening doors, or bantering with hungry children and angry wives. Besides, they will only become hungrier and angrier over the next few days. I sweep all aside and place disc 1 into my CD drive.

10:25 AM – I’ve given the wife a handful of dollars and sent her on a mission to feed the children. Steam is installed, and HL2 has begun installing. Slowly. I wander around smoking, changing discs as prompted, and making sure the computer room is fully stocked before I barricade the door.

10:42 AM – I come back to my computer to drop off an armful of soda and wasabi chips. The installation has died on disk 3. I begin saying bad things about the evil entity of Valvendi in my head.

10:59 AM – A short investigation of message boards shows that disk 3 is a naughty misbehaver for other people as well, and it’s a problem with the disk being incompatible with some drives. I begin saying those bad things about Valvendi out loud as I tear the computer graveyard closet apart looking for that old external USB CD burner.

11:05 AM – The installation process begins again. This time I babysit it, counting every single status bar. When my eyes start losing focus on which bar I’m watching, I use the mouse cursor to bookmark it.

11:23 AM – Oh dear god the external drive is slow. Minesweeper or Solitaire are straight out of the question, the system deserves every iota of resources available to it. I settle for moving my optical mouse around on my face and watching the cursor move on screen.

11:34 AM – I’ve passed disk 3. My anger at Valvendi subsides a little, but not much. My computer room is fully stocked and I’ve placed the bookcase against the door.

11:47 AM – Installation is complete! I take a deep breath for the coming battle with Steam, for I know from others who have survived that it will be long and terrible. I start Steam. My cable goes down. Comcast anger rating: 8 out of 10. Valvendi anger rating: 7 out of 10.

12:01 PM – I dig the 56K out of the computer graveyard, install drivers, and connect. I find that I miss the old days of hearing the modem scream before I got online. This moment of nostalgia puts me in a slightly better mood, and the Steam account registration actually goes without a hitch. I begin to hope. Poor fool.

12:23 PM – My connection drops in the middle of, if the status bar’s rate of progress is to be trusted, what appears to be a 3 day download. Verizon anger rating: 9 out of 10 (if the Verizon building suddenly became an invasion point for world dominating homicidal weasels, I would feel sorry for the families of the Verizon employees but not the Verizon employees themselves)

12:24 PM - The voicemail light is blinking. I make a mental note to check the message later, find out who is responsible for interrupting my precious downloading, and divert the living flood of weasels from Verizon to their house instead. I reconnect but use *70 this time. I don't remember if that's the correct code for turning off call waiting and consider double checking, but time is too precious to waste on such things.

12:25 PM – Steam refuses to connect. I imagine in my head a deep pit filled with employees of companies whose names start with V, into which I would be able to rain acid, razor blades, my pee, etc. etc.

12:55 PM – I manage to reconnect to Steam. I now hold myself perfectly still so that nothing may disturb the fragile connection established by the phone cord. It occurs to me that the phone cord is like an umbilicus, delivering HL2 nourishment to my computer. Then I remember how f!cking slow it is, any baby depending on an umbilicus that slow would be screwed.

1:37 PM – I’ve got status bar stare. Nothing quite seems to matter. My mouth hangs open as I wait for the next little square to appear on the screen. Time’s passage is nebulous, immaterial. The urge to defecate on everyone at Valvendi, so burning and insistent just half an hour ago, is now distant and inconsequential. I figure there are 8 little squares to go.

1:54 PM – I start to move around a little when the next to last square appears. I realize that I bought the game almost four hours ago and am still waiting to play. That gets me going again, and I sit up straight, ready to curse at the next problem.

1:57 PM – The last square appears. HL2 files have finished downloading. I begin to warm up my mouse hand. Yes, that is actually as disturbing as it sounds.

2:05 PM – CS:S files are downloading. Jesus on popsicle sticks. I wonder if crying will make me feel better, then decide to fire up my browser to check on the NBA instead. The browser instantly freezes, and moving my mouse around leaves tracers – my outdated computer is now on the verge of crashing with at least 10 little boxes to go on CS:S. Good work, dumb@ss. Myself anger rating: 8 out of 10

2:34 PM – CS:S is almost finished. I try not to get too excited about this fact. Besides, the computer will sense my excitement and that will send it over the edge, crashing it for sure. I remain calm, sneaking furitve glances at the status bar.

2:43 PM – I have finally arrived. The HL2 loading screen is being displayed.

2:46 PM – The loading screen is still up. I hold my breath and put my head down to the computer case. Yes, the hard drive is still grinding away at something.

2:47 PM – I’m at the HL2 menu. I rebind my keys and FINALLY jump into the game. After another seemingly interminable load time (the first of many to come) the opening cinematic starts and I totally forget about the last five hours of bullsh!t. I don’t even mind the audio skips that much, I’m so glad to be finally playing this game. And this game plays like the best – the last time I had this much fun was in HL1. I spent 5 minutes in the beginning of the game just breaking bottles, or throwing soda at the cops, then retreating behind the turnstile where they couldn’t get me. It was silly and a waste of time, but I had a blast doing it, Valve got that certain something right when they created this game. I'm very glad to say that this game truly was worth the trouble. If any other company tried to pull of something as audacious as Steam and requiring online registration for single player games, they would die a fast and ugly death. I don’t agree with Steam at all, I despise it, but Valvendi has something special in HL2 and unfortunately people will accept the ‘necessary’ evil of Steam because of that.

meatcatcher said:
10:25 AM – I’ve given the wife a handful of dollars and sent her on a mission to feed the children. Steam is installed, and HL2 has begun installing. Slowly. I wander around smoking, changing discs as prompted, and making sure the computer room is fully stocked before I barricade the door.

Welcome to the forums and that's one helluva intro. :LOL:

"On the way out of Gamestop I give HL2 a big fat kiss. A small part of me wonders if kissing Gordon makes me a homosexual, another small part is glad it wasn’t the G-Man, but most of me is so desperately focused on needing to install the game, it feels kind of like I have to pee really bad, but out of the wrong head."

lol.

I think a lot of us went through something like that on release day. :p When I got home, steam wouldn't let me auth the game (servers too busy), shortly after that my DSL connection dropped. An hour later when I finally got back onto the 'net, Steam still wouldn't let me auth the game. I was about ready to explode. :LOL: It wasn't funny then, but it's kinda funny now.

i wailted for like 4 hrs to log in... but that's it. that's all my trouble.(i was retrying nonstop for 2 hrs though.)

lol ... welcome to forums .... good story/read

i waited ... ohh .... 15minutes? cuz i bought retail and unlocked the files on my PC with the key.... don't kill me please :)

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the hilarious read

Haha...

I did the same thing, I gave my girlfriend $20 to leave me alone.

Does anyone remember Sierra's "classic" games? The ones that required the player to have the manual for some sort of puzzle, or to go find a phrase? Ala Heroes Quest, Gold Rush or Monkey Island? Monkey Island's was pretty cool actually, little spinny thing with faces that you had to match to the screen.

Why couldn't they have done something like that? Oh wait, they didn't put ANYTHING in the retail package except a rebate for an ATI video card.

That was really funny! :D :cheers:

Here's my story (not funny :():

2:00 AM - There's 1 hour left before Valve unlocks Hl2. People are going crazy on IRC, and i'm one of them.

3:00 AM - Valves unlocks Hl2.

3:20 AM - I play Hl2 till about 8:00 AM. The feeling i got while playing is indescriptible (is that even an english word? :eek:).

Very nice story. Reminded me of myself at times. Welcome to the forums.
I can't say my installation was that eventful. I woke up at 2:10 (hit the snooze button twice before I realized what I was doing. I have a tendency to turn it off without even knowing what it is.)

I hop over to the computer, check out #halflife2, which is having a seizure. I reboot Steam, and see the Now Playing: Half-Life 2, and I nearly crap myself. I double-click Half-Life 2 in My Games.

As I'm waiting to the unlock, I read up in IRC a bit, and realize that people are getting stuck at 83%. I quickly got to this point, and it froze for a minute or so. Although, to my surprise, it passed rather quickly. I see it get to 100%, and my heart is that of a 10 pound puppy after a 5 hour run around the house. I am smiling beyond my normal range, and I loved it. When the loading screen finally loads up, I actually squeeled like a girl.

nice story. very detailed and interesting!!!

Chiefi said:
That was really funny! :D :cheers:

Here's my story (not funny :():

2:00 AM - There's 1 hour left before Valve unlocks Hl2. People are going crazy on IRC, and i'm one of them.

3:00 AM - Valves unlocks Hl2.

3:20 AM - I play Hl2 till about 8:00 AM. The feeling i got while playing is indescriptible (is that even an english word? :eek:).
this is pretty much what i did
except change 8 hours to 30 minutes
(school in the morning :()

Great read, entertained me while I wait in line to get into World of Warcraft (worst launch, EVER) but back on subject...

I suppose I got lucky, I went to bed at around 12est (9pm Valve time) to get some sleep before my alarm would wake me up at 3am to enjoy my prize!

So when I woke up in the morning (yeah yeah 5 hours late) I simply restarted steam and took a shower, by the time I got back I was bathing in the reflective glory of the Half-Life 2 world!

My name is Justin, and my Half-Life 2 activation went off without a hitch! ( Except that damn alarm! )

VERY nice first post. Welcome.

Same thing happened to me... Not as bad ofcourse...

Connecting to Steam and unlocking HL2 took an hour.

(Ugh what an hour that was :sleep:)

hahaha great stuff, I laughed all the way through that thing. You've got talent.

As for my experience, it was rather un-eventful, aside from one inconvienence.

I went to school reluctantly, got off around 3:30, walked home to my friend's place where my dad was supposed to pick me up, if only for one small problem; he had to work late! But luckily enough he came to pick me up to get the game and drive me home, since what he had to do he couldn't do before they plowed the area around the glide path (airport tech thing). I got lucky.

So then I went home (after picking up a sub and subway), popped in the CD (mad over the stupid paper sleeves, not to mention the somewhat terrible installation GUI) started the installation which went flawlessly, except for getting barbecue sauce on my sweater, but I cleaned that off no problem. Steam loaded up, I held my breath and the game LOADED!

Ever have one of those moments where you've waited so long that by the time it does actually happen you don't know what to say, think or feel? I was in that state.

Anyways, as I watched G-Man pop-up on my screen I sat there in amazement with the quality of his face. And I entered City 17, excited about the many adventures to come.

Heheh, certainly something to go in the "best first posts of all time" category.

I must admit I felt similarly ambivalent regarding HL2... 2 hour installation time (ack!) if one included the Steam verification process. But the game itself, even with the audio problems, made me damn glad it was with us at long last.

Funny post.

I unlocked Halflife2 at 8:03am (GMT) on the morning of release (thats 3 mins after it was due, already had the files precached) but unlocking seemed to take forever ... and I had to be in uni at 9:15 so I only managed to get about 10 mins worth of the first bit of the game (trainstation)... played it all night and completed it the next day though :p

I Got up at 3:00 am (midnight in valve time) and was had no problems dling, or unlocking. I was playing Half life 2 by 3:15.

Morale of the story: buy through steam!

Hell yeah dude I kind of know what you mean, your's is a little worse. First I sold my xbox to my friend for $65. Bought the game, now it says I have to update my driver and my windows xp. This took about the same time as hl2 installation did. Then I waited about 235 minutes for it to install or whatever it was doing. I got so bored and I was lazy to, so instead of breaking out a calculator, I asked SmarterChild on aim how many hours are in so and so minutes. It seemed like eternity. The game is beautiful. Would be even more if I had a better graphics card.

Reaperman said:
i was up at 3AM to play hl2 :)

no waiting at all :)

glad to see i wasn't the only one up at 3 AM playing HL2

and yes, nice story... glad you wrote it... welcome to the forums

So true

That post speaks for everyone or atleast most people in some way. I loved how well written and discriptive you write. I going to save that one. hope to hear from you again :)

what a thumping good read!

you kind of scare me to be honest but i enjoyed every word never a dull moment and i was laughing my arse off.

i need more.. write more!

Back