how many of you feel steam offers are too expensive?

shaggy2039

Reaction score
I for one think the bronze package is really over priced at
50.00$....you don't even get a box, owners manual anything for that price...that being said, if they don't have to use manafacturing costs on printing up the boxes and owners manuals, shouldn't it be markedly cheaper for the consumer? I can see 30.00$ being reasonable, and I think it'd grab people alot more in terms of buying it off of steam...any thoughts on this?

*Sigh*
Stop complaining...
The $100 I spent on Gold was $100 well spent. :)

$50 is very cheap for something that contains the sequel to the best game of all times and an improved version of the bigger online-shooter of all time. Period.

They can't sell it for less on steam than retail. And it's not overpriced anyway.

nah...i think its too steep...u get less and u pay the same...i paid it but i still feel this way...

expensive, but thikn about it, most games are 50 nowadays for a single xbox game or something... i payed 60 and i am getting 4 of the best games to come out in a few years... cant really beat that

-merc

nopers
I think its a fair price.
I think it woudl be way more if you baught it at a retail store.

For HL2, CS S, DOD S, HL S, and Condition Zero?

Nah... I think 60 is fair.

ShadowFox said:

Exactly, you get five games for the price of one :)

shaggy2039 said:
50.00$....you don't even get a box, owners manual anything for that price...that being said, if they don't have to use manafacturing costs on printing up the boxes and owners manuals, shouldn't it be markedly cheaper for the consumer? I can see 30.00$ being reasonable, and I think it'd grab people alot more in terms of buying it off of steam...any thoughts on this?
the price of creating a box and some pirnted manuals would be around $3.
Its not that expensive when you have an assembaly line.
games like these sell for about $60. + $5 for tax.
so 50 is cheap.
IF you want to go ahead and "play" with the manuals then buy the retail version.

Your getting the same product than with the hard copy.

Guess what? The bandwidth they use to send the game to you, via Steam, costs money too.

ShadowFox said:

Not only that, but all of Valve's games currently on Steam. Damn good deal if you ask me.

shaggy2039 said:
Most games cost $50.00 It's not like anything has changed over the years. Every game I buy costs $50.00 now unless its been pre-owned. And I really doubt the instruction booklet and box have anything to do with the price. It's the game that costs $50.00 I say it's a good deal no matter what package you buy. :thumbs:

The way i see it, you're getting 14 games for the £40 (silver) package. which on its own is amazing enough, you also get chance to have every mod ever made for them so 100+ more...

Also the thing that made me buy hl2 via steam was the fact that i dont have to ;

1) go to a shop
2) worry about them not having it in
3) wait a week to get it in again
4) wait to install it

So the CERTAINTY you can play it straight away is worth at least £20 for me alone, so £20 for the game, and play cs:s now? well F-ME i think that's an awsome deal!

EDIT: oh and i nearly spent £20 or what ever it was on CZ so now i dont have to :p

$50 is a bargain, a BARGAIN for HL2. Keep in mind the reviews are already out, and this game is getting some of the best, or the best reviews ever. I paid $55 for Doom 3 the day it came out, and was disappointed. I'd pay $55 for CS:S alone because I'm having way more fun with CS:S than I ever did with Doom, and even better, CS:S is basically free with HL2.

The $108 I spent on my HL2 Gold package was a pleasure, as I gladly would have paid more. The singleplayer game, CS:S, SDK, HL:S, DoD:S, and the innumerable other mods we have to look forward to are well, well worth the price.

-UnmarkedOne

I think that bronze should be 45, but the silver and gold are good, and the gold is lookin pretty nice to me right now...
well, then again you DO get CS:S w/ the bronze so...I might just say that they're all good.

I don't think it's too expensive, I just think that for the people who already have valve's back catalog, it's unreasonable (and almost insulting) for them to expect us to put down $60 or $90 for CS:S. Granted, we will some day get HL2, HL:S, and DoD:S (and the gold purchasers get some useless crap in 6-8 weeks), but the key words are "some day". It's one thing to pre-order a game from a place like EB, Gamestop, or Amazon and not get a good estimate for a release date, but it's a whole different issue when the DEVELOPER is unable to get at least a rough estimate.

Now, to save you all the trouble (because I'm 99% certain that I'm the only person on this forum that feels this way), I understand that it's Vivendi that actually sets a release date. Despite that though, Valve knows how long Vivendi has taken to test each RC, how much time it's taken them to fix whatever bugs Vivendi finds, and SHOULD have a good idea about production time to make the release happen. They should without a doubt be able to give some sort of ETA for at least HL2.

Flame me for this rant if you want, I couldn't care less.

Here's how the situation breaks down for me:

I could have spent $55 after taxes on the standard edition at the shop. That would have gotten me Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike: Source. Or I could spend $5 more and get the Silver edition through Steam which gets me Half-Life 2, Counter Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life: Source, and access to Valve's back catalog of games including Team Fortress Classic, Opposing Force, and Counter Strike: Condition Zero.

I think in this instance, Steam is the better deal by far.

shit i just bought the hl2 gold steam package, i allready has the ati/hl2 coupon.
iallso preorder the hl2 collectors ed. dvd box, and hl2 rasien the bar book, + i have 1 more hl2/ati coupon from my alienware laptop, $200 worth of stuff

i spent 60, which means i get the beloved dod:s whenever it comes out.also because of thier current contract with vivendi thay probably can't sell it cheaper, but once steam gets going they'll get out of the contract and thier games should be cheaper.

QUiCKSILV3R said:
shit i just bought the hl2 gold steam package, i allready has the ati/hl2 coupon.
iallso preorder the hl2 collectors ed. dvd box, and hl2 rasien the bar book, + i have 1 more hl2/ati coupon from my alienware laptop, $200 worth of stuff
Off Topic- At the top of your site it says "Half Life 2 Ships In 52 Days." Uh-huh...and you have proof on this how? :|

Here in Australia, new games are (in AUD) generally $90-$100 at retailers. Steam SILVER translates to $83 AUD. Cheap as chips, mate.

shaggy2039 said:

They have an agreement with Vivendi where they can't undercut the retail price.

Dammit, If I see one more of these threads "I dont want to pay £32 for the best game ever made, since I got HL1 I should get it for free" bull,

Its a fair price, especially Silver you get about £70+ worth of games for £40

I'm not saying they're too high, however I wish they were lower. With these, I don't really have any choice but to go retail - it will cost ~$35 where I live, compared to $60 for bronze Steam package.

Yea I agree $50 is perfectly reasonable. I remember paying $50 for Super Mario Bros. 3 on the original NES. I'm glad we aren't paying more for video games these days, considering they cost a lot more to develop.

I want the gold package real bad, but it's sooo expensive.
No, I think the prices are ok. I just wish I could get it for less. It's the damn tax and shipping that screws it up.

soul said:
I don't think it's too expensive, I just think that for the people who already have valve's back catalog, it's unreasonable (and almost insulting) for them to expect us to put down $60 or $90 for CS:S. Granted, we will some day get HL2, HL:S, and DoD:S (and the gold purchasers get some useless crap in 6-8 weeks), but the key words are "some day". It's one thing to pre-order a game from a place like EB, Gamestop, or Amazon and not get a good estimate for a release date, but it's a whole different issue when the DEVELOPER is unable to get at least a rough estimate.

Now, to save you all the trouble (because I'm 99% certain that I'm the only person on this forum that feels this way), I understand that it's Vivendi that actually sets a release date. Despite that though, Valve knows how long Vivendi has taken to test each RC, how much time it's taken them to fix whatever bugs Vivendi finds, and SHOULD have a good idea about production time to make the release happen. They should without a doubt be able to give some sort of ETA for at least HL2.

Flame me for this rant if you want, I couldn't care less.

dude they sent in the HL:source RC along with hl2, and probably the same with dod so chill out they all come out at the same time.

shaggy2039 said:

Yep, the amount of $30 would be a bit more reasonable, but $50 is just bit too steap.

They want 20 grand for Ferrari Modena? OMG I can get Dodge Neon wrapped in gift paper for this kinda money! Pretty, shiny gift paper for Christ sake!
What's that, they say they can throw in a Chevy Corvette for 5 extra grand? 5 grand??? And they are not even going to wrap it? Unfrigingbelievable, call the cops I'm being robbed!

I dont think so. If you think about it, its 60 bucks for HL2, CS:S, DOD:S and all of the Valve games from the past, plus HL:S. I think its a good deal, plus, I only have HL and CS, so to me its a great deal.

Spending over 150 on hl2. Stop whining about prices. They are very low for the work people put in making these great games. They need food and clothes also.

I just got my C/C statement. I got HL2 Silver for $AUD84.

The 'Coming Soon' boxed sets for HL2 have started appearing in EBGames with a price tag of $AUD99.95 and that is for the straight forward HL2 + CS:S edition, so for $AUD15 less I get to play CSS sooner and I also get DoD:S and HL:S when they are available. That seems like pretty damned good value to me.

good for me...only 87nzd for silver. 20-30 bucks cheaper than the retail version.. All is well.

The price could be very well becuase valve might have to pay Vivendi a share of the money for selling the game online (This was talked about a news post on halflife2.net anyway) As for bandwith, you can usually get it for 1 buck a GB.. so thats 3 bucks per person getting the game (Based upon estimating the game is around 3 GB's).

This is just speculation, I'm not saying this is why, or that I know anything. Please don't post anything about me thinking I know everything... I don't.

-Limb

Back