How much framerates would I get for Doom III if I...

Reaction score
I have a Pentium 4 1.8GHz
512 DDR MB ram and a Radeon 9600 128MB 'Game Buster'(Radeon 9600 PRO 128 MB ram).
Can I use 1360x1020 and 16-bit colour?
If so, how much FPS would I get if I used that and high detail settings and turned off all the fancy stuff such as Vsync, FSAA, AA and shadows and other special effects.

And can someone include a screenshot of the graphics option menu?

I haven't gotten Doom III because Doom III won't ship until the 5th to the store near my location.
And I have changed my upgrade plans to:
CP ATI RADN 9600XT 256MB DDR, AGP8X, DVI, TV-OUT, RETAIL
And a Pentium IV 2.4 Ghz 533 Mhz

So I'll have a
Intel Pentium IV 2.4 Ghz 533 Mhz
512 DDR MB ram
ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 MB DDR
And a crappy sound card.

How much framerates would I get for that?

Thank you in advance.

Here be the options!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 228
You're upgrading from a 9600 Pro to a 9600 XT (256) ?

Yes.
But I'm not 100% sure it's a 9600 PRO.
On the box, it said, ATI Radeon 9600 128 MB ram 'Game Buster'.
I go and type 'dxdiag' into run and before I updated my drivers, it said PRO.

Tredoslop said:
Yes.
But I'm not 100% sure it's a 9600 PRO.
On the box, it said, ATI Radeon 9600 128 MB ram 'Game Buster'.
I go and type 'dxdiag' into run and before I updated my drivers, it said PRO.

Am I missing something? Are you really going to pay for another 9600 classed card, or are you going to get it for free or something?

Pay for it.
I was going to get the 9800 SE 128 MB ram.
At the store, I have those two options, the 9800 SE and the 9600 XT 256 MB ram are by Power Color.
And the 9800 SE is cheaper.
$219 CDN.

I'd save your cash and put it towards a better video card later on when you have some more, or towards a better processor, because the gain in performance wise going from a pro to XT card isn't worth the cost.

But it's 256 MB ram.
Should I get the 9800 SE 128 MB ram?
It's $219.
The XT is $245.

Yeah, you could get a Radeon 9800 Pro with almost same money. Maybe $20 more.

Would that be better?
Because I can get a Power Color
CP ATI RADN 9800PRO 128MB DDR, DVI, TV-OUT, AGP, RETAIL for $285.

I see that my choices are bad.

What about the...
MSI GFX FX5900XT-VTD128, VIVO, DDR, DVI, TV-OUT, RETAIL
Is that a good choice? It's only $295.

The 9800 Pro would be a better buy than the FX 5900XT.

By chance, do you know if that 9800 Pro has a 256bit memory bus? If it's a 128bit memory bus, don't get it. If it's 256bit, go for it.

I'm not talking about the amount of video RAM the card has. I'm talking about the memory bus (either 128bit or 256bit).

After some serious trouble, I can now play the game in 800*600 on High with everything ON (Vsync ON actually boosts performance in this game! At least for me). My fps is usually around 45-60 indoors. Drops to like 30-40 outdoors. Small drops when it loads big new rooms etc though. But far from unplayable.

The resolution you asked about cannot be chosen afaik. I bet I can play the game at higher resolutions but I just haven't tried it yet. My specs are:

1.8 Ghz Dell-computer (being a Dell, overall performance is far from top-notch with a Dellified XP installed)
gig rdram (300 mhz or so I think) (rdram is outdated & gets its ass kicked by ddr at those amount I've heard)
9800pro 128mb
7k rpm-hdd (I think...)

I don't think you would have much problems with your specs either. Maybe some lower settings (since your ram is halved & gfx-card is a little slower). The game looks awesome even on 640*480 with no settings on. It's no FarCry then but the suspension & overall experience is still really great. Hopes this helps :thumbs:

Edit: Rdram is also quite stupid if you want to upgrade it. You can't just buy ONE new memory stick. You must buy an even numbers of sticks (2, 4 ,6 etc) & you can't even use an odd numbers of sticks either. ALL slots must be used for some reason. A little sidenote :)

if you ask me save for the X800 XT thats around 2 times as powerful, but hey, just because i will have it deosn't mean you should

Alec_85,
can you try to run 1600x1200 and ultra-details and turn off everything in the advanced options except vsync and see how much FPS you get?

I have like those exact specs but a 5900 128 mb instead, I have it at medium quality, 800x600, Its runs perfect :D

Extra memory on the video card makes virtually no difference to the speed at which it runs.... thats all down to how fast the GPU is and the 9600 pro and 9600 xt are almost the same speed although the XT is slightly faster. But thats down to the fact the the GPU is clocked higher and not becauee it has more ram

The difference between having 128mb of ram as to having 256mb is irrelevant because the GPU itself on that card isn't powerful enough to push around 256mb of textures etc - but whether it is 128bit or 256bit is important - was it Saphire who had a 9800 128bit card out?

king John I said:
if you ask me save for the X800 XT thats around 2 times as powerful, but hey, just because i will have it deosn't mean you should

Not everyone has a PCI-Express motherboard :rolleyes:

Back