How Much Should I Upgrade?

Mr.Awesome

Reaction score
I know im gonna need to upgrade to play hl2, but exactly which parts should i upgrade... ?

Intel P3 800 mhz
512 mb ram
ati radeon 9000
direct x 9.0b
ms win 2000

what ohter sys specs do i need to know (im not extremely computer literate)?

Update your Processor, your RAM, your graphics card, your operating system, hell, just get a new system...

is that 512 sdram? if it is, then you'll need to upgrade every piece of hardware you listed, if you want hl2 to run better than bad.

Upgrade everything. Your current rig is set for retirement :)

Upgrade after the game comes out and you determine it doesn't run well...

I bought a 9800XT a year ago and it was not worth it. My friends with ti series Geforce 4 cards play it at 50+ FPS. Don't upgrade until you have a better idea of how bad the game plays. Plus there is no DATE yet hehe. I bought my 9800XT when the game was supposed to be out the next week. Unfortunately the delay announcement came instead and I was duped.

A64 3000+, decent mobo, 2x 512 mb sticks of kingston hyper-x memory, x800 pro, 80 gig sata drive, decent case from a reputable company, 400+ watt antec or enermax psu, GOOD 19 inch crt monitor (some here can recommend good gaming ones, I own an NEC FP912SB 19 inch crt, great for games), and you're good to go.

Alientank said:
A64 3000+, decent mobo, 2x 512 mb sticks of kingston hyper-x memory, x800 pro, 80 gig sata drive, decent case from a reputable company, 400+ watt antec or enermax psu, GOOD 19 inch crt monitor (some here can recommend good gaming ones, I own an NEC FP912SB 19 inch crt, great for games), and you're good to go.

Not everybody can afford this :frog:

Mr.Awesome said:
I know im gonna need to upgrade to play hl2, but exactly which parts should i upgrade... ?

Intel P3 800 mhz
512 mb ram
ati radeon 9000
direct x 9.0b
ms win 2000

what ohter sys specs do i need to know (im not extremely computer literate)?

• Upgrade CPU to atleast Athlon XP above 2500+, If you got the cash, get yourself AMD 64.

• You can never have enough memory, get atleast 1024MB. And if u got cash, model 3200 and above.

• You will need a new graficscard. Buy X800 PRO or 6800, depending on which you like best, ATI or nvidia. Personally i´ll stick to ATI...stable drivers and good performance. If you are poor, get yourself a 9800 PRO or XT.

• update direct x to latest version

• Get Windows XP Pro

• a few addons. Get yourself a GOOD and therefore expensive PSU, its worth the cash with a stable computer right? Tagan is a good brand, and also very quite. Antec is also very good and stable. Get good cooling and a easy to manage case.

Also get yourself a good Motherboard, check reviews on the www. Good Mobos are: Abit, MSI, Asus for example

GL

Back