How stupid would it be for a talentless fool to get a tablet

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
I've been heavily contemplating getting a good tablet. A really good one. Like a Wacom Intuos 4 Medium.

Ever since my brother bought a fairly crappy tablet long ago, I've always desired a better one, one that overcame the limitations of that relative piece of crap. Something durable, something with tons of sensitivity, something to maybe spark a little bit of creativity into me.

My talent, or rather lack thereof is the major voice in my head telling me not to do it. On the other hand, I have my brother who has also contemplated getting one willing to pool the money with me so we can share one. He's relatively talentless like me, although he's always had much more of a desire to learn what's needed to develop the capabilities of great artistic expression than me, at least when it comes to conventional art.

So how much of a dick would I be buying something as cool as a tablet, now that I have money to actually get stuff like this, even though I don't have the artistic skills to really use it to it's full potential.

Yay, Nay? Wireless? Is nib wear terrible?

EDIT: Also wtf the Intuos3 is more expensive than the Intuos4. Is this due to the nib wear problem?

For the record, I've been reading this thread, regarding the nib problem.

http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1438

Practice makes perfect. Get one.

Practice makes perfect. Get one.

I would like to hear from some people who own an Intuos4.

The whole concept of the nib wear problem is really bothering me, as well as the fact that the USB port is apparently only connected with a couple solder points, and has issues breaking, all amounting to expensive shipping and handling costs to get it fixed back at Wacom, as well as the expensive of new nibs very frequently, some people saying theirs wear down to nothing in just a day, at $1 a piece in the US, and about $3 a piece in europe.

To me, it seems exceptionally silly that you'd have to make workarounds to prolong the life of your nibs, like taping paper or plastic sheets on your $300-400 piece of hardware.

If I did get an Intuos4, and I could get around the nib problem, I'd probably get the wireless version to get around the stupid usb port problem, paying an additional $50 for the capabilities.

Or maybe I should just do the smarter thing and opting for a far cheaper alternative, sacrificing all the new sensitivity features and such that I probably wouldn't even have that much of a use for initially.

Blegh.

KaptainH is the only one here I know of who has a Intuos 4. You should PM her. I've only got a Intuos3 and havent had any problems in years with it.

KaptainH is the only one here I know of who has a Intuos 4. You should PM her. I've only got a Intuos3 and havent had any problems in years with it.

Thanks Krynn, I'll do that. I was thinking about Intuos3 being a possibility due to the problems of the Intuos4... but it's considerably more expensive than the Intuos4 on amazon... which is confusing.

I would get an average one and see how you like it after a few months. You can maybe sell it to your brother and get a better one if you really want.

I can't really draw myself but I've been thinking about getting a tablet as well. But I think I'll get one of the small A6 Wacom Bamboo Fun ones, because for relatively cheap I will see how much I'd use this.

I would get an average one and see how you like it after a few months. You can maybe sell it to your brother and get a better one if you really want.

See I've been thinking about getting a less expensive one... but the prices are still fairly high, and it seems like, why not, for just double the price, get the better one.

I was thinking about Bamboo Fun, but those have the same nib wear problems as the Intuos4 apparently.

I would get an Intuos3, but they're as expensive as the Intuos4 wireless... unless perhaps I could get a used one, but I don't know anything about used tablets, if they're a good idea, or if all that wear would be a detriment to the experience.

I guess I'm sitting here and just thinking... why go small when I have the money to go big, when splitting the costs with my brother. But then again, I have less money to buy other stuff I want. One of those being a good low-medium range non walmart style bicycle, that I've been meaning to get for years, to get me out of the house more often and get some regular exercise in. Cycling is far more enjoyable than walking for me... just have never had a decent bike to do it with.

Money brings so many problems! It's burning a hole in my wallet and into my soul.

I think maybe I'll hold off purchasing a tablet, save my money, and wait for Wacom to address and fix the nib wear and USB problems.

Now this is just me, but every time I've bought something cheaper but not as good, I've regretted it. When it comes to things like this, if you're gunna do it, might as well do it right the first time.

Now this is just me, but every time I've bought something cheaper but not as good, I've regretted it. When it comes to things like this, if you're gunna do it, might as well do it right the first time.

It is just, the luxury edition has so much more eagle.

20100725175906capture.png

Well, I've never looked into how much tablets cost. But I think I could relate; I could spend $600 on a video card or $200. And I'd probably be happy with both. $400 left over is nice too.

Raz, pick one thing and stick with it.

But as far as a tablet goes. I got one a while back thanks to this site mostly and I've used it for the first few weeks. I loved it. But honestly it's just been sitting there collecting dust ever since.

Raz, pick one thing and stick with it.

But as far as a tablet goes. I got one a while back thanks to this site mostly and I've used it for the first few weeks. I loved it. But honestly it's just been sitting there collecting dust ever since.

You've convinced me! I'll get a 21 inch Cintiq!

That's pretty sweet. Before you dump all that money though how are your photoshop skills?

That's pretty sweet. Before you dump all that money though how are your photoshop skills?

I was joking. I'm not getting a Cintiq.

My photoshop skills are decent, I just lack the artistic capacity. My main uses for a tablet would be photoshop of course, but also for sculpting applications, such as Zbrush.

I'm still currently wrestling with the indecision I have about what I want to get. Worried about Intuos4 problems, Intuos3 more expensive than Intuos4... Bamboo Fun having same nib problems as Intuos4 and only half as cheap.

Back