How to make VCD with AVI file?

LittleB

Reaction score
I have avi movies which I made with my video camera- how can I make a VCD out of them? I looked everywhere on Google and everything and I couldn't find any good programs.
Helping please?

You need an avi -> mpg converter. Then convert the movie (usually takes a long-arse time). Then with a CD burning software, create a "Video CD" and put you mpg onto the CD. Voila.

As to converter programs, they cost $$, but I bet there's an open-source out there somewhere if u look hard enuf.

I think Nero can do that for you automaticlly..

Yep, it even converts! but it's insanely slow.

If I were going to do it I would use Nero 6 as well...it's slow though.

Do it over night.

I tried that tmpgenc thing and when I try to open the avi file it says it's corrupt (even though it plays) or it's not supported. :(

TMPGEnc is the best, that is for sure. And it's free!
Use the wizard if you don't know how to configure it manually.

Try to frameserve it with another applications. That generally works.
Frameserving is opening the AVI with VirtualDub or another application and telling it to save to a file. That file is opened with TMPGEnc and that file works as a bridge. It's a good way to feed effects and edits from one program to another (VirtualDub, Premiere, or DVDAVI to TMPEGEnc etc). I'd have to do some digging around to show ya since VCDhelp.com seems to be down.

You could look up VirtualDub and Avisynth to Frameserve AVI to TMPGEnc.

Asus said:
TMPGEnc is the best, that is for sure. And it's free!
Use the wizard if you don't know how to configure it manually.

Try to frameserve it with another applications. That generally works.
Frameserving is opening the AVI with VirtualDub or another application and telling it to save to a file. That file is opened with TMPGEnc and that file works as a bridge. It's a good way to feed effects and edits from one program to another (VirtualDub, Premiere, or DVDAVI to TMPEGEnc etc). I'd have to do some digging around to show ya since VCDhelp.com seems to be down.

You could look up VirtualDub and Avisynth to Frameserve AVI to TMPGEnc.

Technically it's not free.

Try CCE coupled with DVD2SVCD (which does also support AVI).

Well, the MPEG2 trial is limited but the MPEG encoding and MPEG tools are not.

I have TMPEG, it's the best there is, awesome. It's free but for MPEG-2 such as SVCD or DVD, there's a 30 day trial. But you can use the VCD converter as long as you want. And I think Virtual Dub can make VCD's, I'm not 100% sure though but it's worth a shot. Try this site to find one, it's got a huge list of a bunch of nice video stuff, codecs, programs, etc.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/index.html

Thanks, everybody. None of your posts singularly were much help but I managed to combine them into one working system :)

look for a prog called EasyVCD, very useful, though I haven't used it for a while, so I'm not 100% sure if its the best.

edit: Its 5.5 meg, pm me and ill try to email a copy.

Back