How to reinstall a STEAM game without downloading?

wilka91

Reaction score
Here's the problem :

I have just 512 megs of RAM on my PC, so in order to play the latest games like Doom 3 and Far Cry I made a second installation of WinXP on another hard drive, in order to have one, clean of everything system with a minimum memory charge. The gain is really significant, because it frees up around 150 megs of RAM and the game run just fine.

BUT how will I be able to do that with Half-Life 2???

If I have no Internet on my second operating system, can I just install Steam and make a full copy of my original STEAM folder?

if its on another hard drive, couldnt u just use the connection you got?

and you should just be able to copy the GCFs over they re located at

steam\steamapps\ :afro:

From past experiences I think you can copy an authenticated copy(the whole folder) to a pc with no internet and it will work in offline mode.

I know what you mean about how fast it is on a new instal, its sweet. I think for hl2 i will just make a new profile and restrict what gets loaded at startup.

ram is cheap dude - cheaper than a second hard-drive, and certainly cheaper than an os...i think you'd be much better off just getting another stick of ram, rather than going thru that much hassle...just my opinion... even if you already had the rest set up, you might as well put another 80 bucks into it and go to a gig...

He says he already has the 2nd HD, but I agree w/ the above poster too. At newegg.com you can get a 512mb pc-3200 stick for like 85 bucks, cheaper if they're on sale. (Weekend specials)

guys thanks for the upgrade advice, but I'm buying an A64 3500+ / K8N Neo2 Platinum first. And I've already have a X800 Pro ... that's a lot of money, and I just can't afford another RAM stick ...

You forgot thanking me for helping you with what you actually asked.

FIRST POST FOR ME !!
Yep copy the updated .gcf and the clientregistry.blob, it'll do it.

g3n3tiX said:
FIRST POST FOR ME !!
Yep copy the updated .gcf and the clientregistry.blob, it'll do it.

Yep, intelligence there: it said DELETE the clientregistry.blob, not copy it. D'oh!
In case anyone else doesn't read it right I'll copy the important info from the link

Steamy People said:
Copy C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ <everything>
to
E:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ <everything>

Then you need to delete this file:

E:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ClientRegistry.blob

Any shortcuts to Steam on your desktop will need to be updated as well - you can just delete the old shortcut and drag and drop a shortcut (right-mouse button) for the moved Steam.exe on your desktop.

When you start Steam up it will do a short update, check the installation and re-create the blob file for the new location and you should be ready to play.

Same rules apply if you want to move your Steam install to a different computer, you'll have to use file sharing or burn CDs or DVDs with the content to accomplish the move.

If you use CDs or DVDs, be sure to make sure none of the Steam files become marked "Read Only" when you copy them off the CDs - all the Steam file need to be writeable.

Back