How to sell your copy of Half Life 2 for dummies

Odysseus

Reaction score
Hello,
I have received a lot of messages from people asking me how to sell their copy of HL2. I am getting a bit tired of repeating the same answer over and over and figured it might be a good idea to start a new thread addressing this question.

In order to play this game you must register your CD key with Steam, permanently linking that CD key to whatever e-mail address you enter. Naturally, this gives rise to the question: will the person I sell this game to be able to play it?

The answer is yes. You need to give them your account along with whatever e-mail address you used and all the passwords (I suggest you explain this issue to any potential buyer before selling the game in order to avoid future misunderstandings).

Notice the part where I say: "along with whatever e-mail address you used". This means the game must be registered under some free e-mail address, say a hotmail account, and you MUST give your buyer full ownership of it.

That's how it is done. Good luck.

:bounce: :bounce: Look at me!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! :bounce: :bounce: !!!!!!!

There are two parts to a steam account, the account name, and the contact email address.

Even though the account name might be an email address, you don't need to give the person access to that email account.

whew, Thanks for the help, I beat hl2 already and its not like there are some awesome looking mods coming out. I am sure the hordes of individuals looking to resell HL2 who came to you, the messiah come to deliver us from the evil hl2, are well pleased :rolleyes:

Odysseus said:
Hello,
I have received a lot of messages from people asking me how to sell their copy of HL2. I am getting a bit tired of repeating the same answer over and over and figured it might be a good idea to start a new thread addressing this question.

In order to play this game you must register your CD key with Steam, permanently linking that CD key to whatever e-mail address you enter. Naturally, this gives rise to the question: will the person I sell this game to be able to play it?

The answer is yes. You need to give them your account along with whatever e-mail address you used and all the passwords (I suggest you explain this issue to any potential buyer before selling the game in order to avoid future misunderstandings).

Notice the part where I say: "along with whatever e-mail address you used". This means the game must be registered under some free e-mail address, say a hotmail account, and you MUST give your buyer full ownership of it.

That's how it is done. Good luck.

Selling a Steam powered game is more trouble than it's worth. I once thought about selling Condition Zero, but I couldn't come up with a good way to do it. Hoorray for Steam.

Spartan said:
Selling a Steam powered game is more trouble than it's worth. I once thought about selling Condition Zero, but I couldn't come up with a good way to do it. Hoorray for Steam.

Was CZ all locked up tight like hl2?

wtf, that really sucks. Im hardly going to give away my email address and I also would have other games registered under my account other then hl2. Steam really is a crappy idea.

Cyphersphere said:
(I would never sell my HL2...)

exactly,

why would somebody sell his/her copy.

I mean omg this is.............HL2 after all :sniper: ;)

There are two parts to a steam account, the account name, and the contact email address.

Even though the account name might be an email address, you don't need to give the person access to that email account.

Hello we11er,
I think you should, since Steam says very clearly: "your account is now permanently linked to the e-mail address you entered"... and then something along the lines of, you can change your e-mail address, but the account is still going to be linked to the first e-mail address you entered. I think it is better to play it safe and give them the e-mail account as well.

Hello Spartan,
Why don't you try what I did?

Odysseus and Spartan are the best fun fellows in this whole forum, it's good to have them in one place where they can agree with each other!

Steam is the brilliant future of games distribution. Selling your games after sale is bad for the industry and Steam makes it much harder. Which is good for them and good for us.

But obviously it upsets drama queens.

Mr.Wotsit said:
Steam is the brilliant future of games distribution. Selling your games after sale is bad for the industry and Steam makes it much harder. Which is good for them and good for us.

How is it bad for the industry that I sell a game that I purchased? Is it better for the industry (not to mention the environment) that I throw it in the bin?

But obviously it upsets drama queens.

Or people who find themselves in a world where control over every aspect of their lives is slowly being transferred to corporations. Some people don't like that.

Spartan said:
Or people who find themselves in a world where control over every aspect of their lives is slowly being transferred to corporations. Some people don't like that.

Every apect of their lives? Oh noes, you can't sell your game!! :O I think the term Drama Queen is very apt in that sort of situation.

Actually....yes...yes it is.

That way, your friend or whatever has to go buy it from the store and give money to the developers and the publishers. When you sell it, the developers and the publishers don't get any moolah.

:\

Oh come on, every aspect of your life isn't being transferred to corporations. I bet you were the kid in school who wore the Che Guvera T-shirt... ;)

Sales of games second-hand mean that the developers make one less sale. This isn't a good thing for them. And, considering it's something you shouldn't really be doing anyway, you can't really whine about losing it as an ability.

***BREAKING NEWS***

I've managed to find a rare picture of what could either be Odysseus or Spartan, I'm not sure which... The disturbing image follows:

tacos.jpg

Spartan said:
Is it better for the industry [..] that I throw it in the bin?
Of course.
Participation is voluntary. They dont get control unless you give it to them.

This is the kind of trolldom you would expect from guinny or the short lived evan (who i suspect of returning in the form of someone else)

if i wanted a Valve game...i don't think i'd feel comfy buying a Steam account which has access to one or more of the games.
i'd rather just go to the store or buy it through Steam.

that way i have peace of mind that i wasn't scammed or anything.

KagePrototype said:
Every apect of their lives? Oh noes, you can't sell your game!! :O I think the term Drama Queen is very apt in that sort of situation.

Notice (if that isn't too much to ask), that I wasn't referring to Steam specifically.

Mr.Wotsit said:
Oh come on, every aspect of your life isn't being transferred to corporations. I bet you were the kid in school who wore the Che Guvera T-shirt... ;)

Maybe you just don't know what's going on.

Sales of games second-hand mean that the developers make one less sale. This isn't a good thing for them. And, considering it's something you shouldn't really be doing anyway, you can't really whine about losing it as an ability.

Something I shouldn't be doing? Do you have any idea how common it is, and has always been, to sell games to other people? Or CDs? Or just about anything?

I've managed to find a rare picture of what could either be Odysseus or Spartan, I'm not sure which... The disturbing image follows:

tacos.jpg

Man, that's great. I think I found one of you:

Just click on the first search result.

You know, by linking a search, nobody will click that. Dumbass. Oh, and Odysseus: I thought you were leaving.

BetaMaster said:
You know, by linking a search, nobody will click that. Dumbass.

You are absolutely right. Why don't you give us a direct link to the image?

How about you do some product research before you buy a game next time if you're not sure if you're going to enjoy it. Read reviews, or go to forums like these and try to find posters that seem "speak your language" or on basically the same mental level as yourselves and then see what their opinions on it are. You bought a product... you don't like it.... be a smarter consumer, don't blame the company which has built a product that is understandably very popular with the vast majority of people.

In other words, stop crying, leave these forums, and move on. HL2 has not ruined your life. I know people who have spent less time complaining about a divorce then you people complain about hl2.

Back