How to start internet game instead of LAN game?

F

fizzysoda

When I start a game in HL2DM it is always a LAN game. How do you start an internet game so it shows up on the server list and my freinds can join in?

I posted this in the noob section but no one responded.

In the original HL internet games were the default.

Thanks,
Fizz

I think you need the sv_lan command.

sv_lan 0 enables internet play, changing the value to 1 makes it LAN-only.

I have had the best results started a dedicated server through steam. Don't fire up HL2DM and pick start a server. Fire up "Source Dedicated Server" instead. Pick "Internet" in the network drop-down box.

Now - you'll also need to give your friend your IP. You can either:

1. Go to http://www.ipchicken.com/ and get your IP and add :27015 to the end of it.

or (faster)

2. Open the Steam server browser and find your server (it will be the one with the lowset ping). Right-click, select "Server Info", copy and paste the address.

As for you - you can join your dedicated server through the server browser while you're getting the IP for your firend.

Where's the start a server option? I can't find it in steam.

Sam2k said:
Where's the start a server option? I can't find it in steam.

Look down at the bottom. Under tools. Source Dedicated Server.

Oh. It wasn't highlighted and I'm lazy, leave me alone!

no one can join my server when I use Source Dedicated Server. Do I have to do something with my router? i hope not....i don't know shit about it...i don't think it's even secured !

huntingbear said:
no one can join my server when I use Source Dedicated Server. Do I have to do something with my router? i hope not....i don't know shit about it...i don't think it's even secured !

Same here! I create a Dedicated server and NO-ONE except me can see it. Really annoying.

I think routers made it more complicated to connect to.

Ah well :/

The only way i can get a server to work while hosting is
I had to make my ip static and i had to forward all ports needed (just 27015 i believe) to that static ip address.
if you have a linksys router you can access it by typing
192.168.1.1 into your web broswer, no http or anything, and the password is admin, no user
(thats defaults on most anyways)

I´ve written the same at your thread @ noob:
I have completly the same problem- and still no figured out how to get it work.

I checked on www.steampowered.com and found out this

"Typically, only Listenservers (where the Server is also a Client) are LAN Servers by default.

In order for Internet players to connect to your Server, you must enable your Server to be an Internet Server. You do this by entering "sv_lan 0" in the Server console, in the server.cfg or in the listenserver.cfg file."

Maybe it works on your machine....
when you find the listenserver.cfg plz let me know.

Ok i´ve already forwardet all necesary ports
(http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cg...TEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1wb3J0&p_li=&p_topview=1)

I´ve tried ded server

I´ve tried to set sv_lan to 0 (it doesn´t change a thing, if i restart the server or change the map i jups back to 0)

I´ve also placed my Computer to the dmz (router settings) no change. :monkee:

next thing someone should try is to edit the listenserver.cfg (I haven´t found it (yet))

:smoking: no prob starting a dedicated server, but only got 9 of my maps to choose from!! how do i get the full list??
have tried starting a server in-game but even if sv_lan 0 command in console is entered,it still only shows up as a LAN game- is it casae sensitive?should it be UPPERCASE? hmmmm.... :

ok, got all my maps up through dedicated server now, but STILL can't get an in-game server up except as a lan server. have tried everything i can think of, inc. putting sv_lan "0" in the cfg. file (using notepad), but still doesn't work. IT'S DOING MY HEAD IN !!!
someone help please- why is it so bloody hard in HL2 when any other game, it's easy peasy? :angry:

HAS SOMEONE SOLVED THIS PROBLEM YET??? IT EFFECTS CSS AND DM

Ticking me and my friends off, we just want to play each other, HOW do we start a server people can connect to?

sv_lan 0
all the ports open

...Jesus shouldn't have to be a complete geek to be able to do this VALVE!!!

Back