HTPC (Antec Fusion)

Asus

Reaction score
I had 2 potential problems I ran into. Luckly everything worked out without delay. *see the end

Here are some pictures of the case.
FRONT - Volume nob, USB, Firewire, Headphone, Mic, covered optial drive and a VFD display. Also has metal feet in the front although you can't see it with the carpet.
BACK

And the ventilation.
LEFT - The power supply sucks air inhere and then right out the back.
RIGHT - The only case fans are 120mm exhaust.
BOTTOM - Vents up front by the hard drives.
Power Light. - White is different, but nice.

This is a very nice case. Blends in with the other equipment by the TV and doesn't stick out as a PC case. There are some sacrifices, such as using a MicroATX motherboard, tall CPU coolers don't fit, only 2 hard drive mounts and 1 optical drive bay. Since the case does not have any intake fans and the air flow does not go from one side of the case to the other, it puts a number of small vents next to the key hot components so the parts will be cooled as the air passes over them and then sucked out the exhaust. Top vent over the PCI cards and GPU, vent below the hard drives, rear vent for the CPU etc. There is not a lot of room for wires although the case has some nice wire routing features built in. Although some of the edges and corners can be sharp. Have a few cuts from installing the parts. The CPU and hard drives run about 40C when idle, 45C when recording. Case temp is about 35-38C.

ASRock board.
Gigabyte 8500GT
Zalman HSF. - With the fan on low I cannot hear any air noise coming from the cooler. But there is a noticeable bearing or motor noise. And it can be heard from the couch which is annoying, although not loud. :\
I replaced the stock Antec Tricool fans with some Scythe fans. Instead of 25dBA on low (1200RPM), these are rated at ~8dBA (800RPM). They use fluid bearings so they are really quiet. I wish I had some for my main PC. hehe

It comes with a high efficiency Antec 430watt PSU (actually made by Seasonic). You won't find this model sold in retail, it is made specifically for this case. Also, the wires are plenty long to reach to the other side of the case.

Motherboard installed in the case.
Wiring and optical cage.
Hard drives mount on their side with rubber grommets.
The VFD display connects with USB. And they actually give you an adapter to plug it on to the board.

So now I can just sit back, pick up the firefly remote and play music, dvds, video files, browse pictures, radio, watch-record-pause TV all off 1 box.
TV options
List of shows
Highlight one to watch or record.

A lot better than having to turn on individual electronics and have 5 remotes to do all those things.

I ordered the Antec Fusion from Directron.com. I never did get a follow-up email from UPS saying it was shipped and directron's website said the Fusion was out-of-stock AND discontinued! But I called them up the next day and my order was shipped. They also gave me the UPS tracking number. :D
My Directron order came the same day as the other parts from Newegg. Good timing.

I found out that the Stock AMD cooler I was going to use did not work with the bracket that came on the ASRock board. I quickly looked up HSF reviews and found one that 1)came with it's own backplate and mount 2)that would work on a socket 754 system 3)and I could buy locally. Bought a Zalman 7000B-Cu from Compusa. Problem solved. :D

Wow, that case looks very high end. So what exactly do you do with it - browse the net, listen to music, play DVD's, record TV, things like that?
So what do you use a graphics card to hook it up to your TV, or do you use one of those TV things you were talking about, or do you have some sort of monitor?

Want.

I need to get something for Video/Svideo inputs to go to my computer, so I can copy all of my old VHS tapes onto my hard drive.. hmmm there might be a video/S-Video to USB plug out there somewhere. My video camera has something like that.

I use it mostly to record and watch TV, like you would with Tivo. Also listen to music a lot. I do other things with it too but not nearly as often.

The graphics card came with a TV-out dongle or box which I use and plugs in next to the VGA/DVI ports. It has Component, S-Video and Composite outputs. This card outputs a pretty clear analog picture.

I'm sure the DX10 card would be decent for games too but I didn't get it for that. I bought this one because it is fan-less and it supports HDCP encryption in case I get Vista and some HD drive. Those run cheaper than getting a HD player separate from the PC.
I need to get something for Video/Svideo inputs to go to my computer, so I can copy all of my old VHS tapes onto my hard drive.. hmmm there might be a video/S-Video to USB plug out there somewhere. My video camera has something like that.
Is it a digital camcorder with an analog pass through feature? That would work really well. A lot better than a $50 USB capture device. hehe

I use it mostly to record and watch TV, like you would with Tivo. Also listen to music a lot. I do other things with it too but not nearly as often.

The graphics card came with a TV-out dongle or box which I use and plugs in next to the VGA/DVI ports. It has Component, S-Video and Composite outputs. This card outputs a pretty clear analog picture.

I'm sure the DX10 card would be decent for games too but I didn't get it for that. I bought this one because it is fan-less and it supports HDCP encryption in case I get Vista and some HD drive. Those run cheaper than getting a HD player separate from the PC.

Is it a digital camcorder with an analog pass through feature? That would work really well. A lot better than a $50 USB capture device. hehe

Hmmm It might.

I have yet to see a video card that has inputs on it. Did your card come with the input break out box?

The 8500GT? no
My X1900GT has VIVO though (Video In/ Video Out) which records well. A lot of ATI cards have VIVO.

The 8500GT? no
My X1900GT has VIVO though (Video In/ Video Out) which records well. A lot of ATI cards have VIVO.

**** man, I've got the same model [X1900GT PCIe] and mine doesn't have it. I got so ripped off on that card damnit.

That sucks. What brand is it?

Mine is a ATI branded card and of the older GT variety. Came with these cables.

That sucks. What brand is it?

Mine is a ATI branded card and of the older GT variety. Came with these cables.
Connect 3D.
As with the other X1900GT's on the market Connect 3D version of the card comes with two DVI and TV in/out (HD ready output). Where the Connect3d card differs from the Powercolor is the fan design, Powercolor's is good and quiet compared to older cards however Connect3D's is better still. The fins on their model are shorter however there are more off them and the noise generated is lower.
Hmmm TV in/out?! wow. so I do have it! :D :D :D i has inputs!
\

Going to check this out tomorrow and try to record some tapes.

What is a good program to record VHS audio/video onto your PC with? Something free?

I've got like 100 VHS tapes. I'd like to digitally record them onto my PC and dump those big ass things in a river.

Try Virtual Dub. Record to lossless AVI or compressed AVI (divx/xvid). Easy to encode to mpeg2 and put them on DVD from there.

Back