I didn't download the beta because...

I didn't download the 'beta' because...

• ... I want to enjoy the full HL 2 experience.

Votes: 244 59.8%
  • ... its ilegal , I don't want to go to jail.

Votes: 17 4.2%
  • ... it goes against my personal moral code.

Votes: 87 21.3%
  • ... the file is too big.

Votes: 41 10.0%
  • ... I don't want to pick up any virus.

Votes: 19 4.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

ASnogarD

Reaction score
I wanted to see what motivated members not to download the 'beta'. I don't want to discuss aspects of the 'beta' itself.

Obviously don't post if you have downloaded the 'beta' , please.

I got it but its realy crashing. thats why I deleted it.

I knew of several places to get it but did not download it for fear of ruining the game.

If I'm going to spend $50 on a game than I want the best experience possible.

... it goes against my personal moral code. No matter how bad i wanted to look at the source code being a programer, to see how things were done by the best company out there with the kick ass engine, i just couldnt. Put yourself into the shoes of programers of Valve, its like working hard for years on something and then just throwing it out into the garbage...
Peace

That's true, however I'm a real hypocrit because I do look at in game beta screenshots out of curiosity...

Well it's like lookin at the menu but not actually eating anything

Bad!

I've been looking forward to Half-Life 2 for quite a while now. To play a buggy incomplete version would ruin the whole experience and surprise of playing the full game.

against my moral code..i also wan't the full game not a half done one.

i won't spoil the game for me by judging it by the quality the leaked beta and the source code like many ppl did (and complained and spread rumours bout it afterwards) but rather wait for the full release. also if you're in programming you know how much work it can be to code things, especially an engine like the source engine. i don't want to know how many small asian developers (no offence againt asians, but against pirates) are studying the source and the havoc engine right now.

i'm coding small programm with like 1000-1500 lines of code. but believe me i'd be pissed if anyone would steal this work and pretend it's his. for these 1000 lines of code you already spend like 3-4 days until half the program works properly.

Combination of all of those except for the illegal one. The chances of being caught are extrmelly low. It still goes against my moral code though, its too big for my connection, I don't want to ruin the experience, and I don't want any viruses.

I did not get it because i dont really care, ill play the game when it comes out. Dont have any desire at all to try it before then.

where's the "i did download the beta, so FU" option? i'm not saying that's what i'd choose, but it'd be interesting to see how many people did do it...and then see why the people who didn't...didn't

Re: Bad!

Originally posted by MTE
I've been looking forward to Half-Life 2 for quite a while now. To play a buggy incomplete version would ruin the whole experience and surprise of playing the full game.
You think HL2 fans have waited "quite a while"?

I apologize in advance for using such a hackneyed statement...

... but OMFG LOL!!!

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're not a Duke Nukem fan.

Originally posted by Maskirovka
where's the "i did download the beta, so FU" option? i'm not saying that's what i'd choose, but it'd be interesting to see how many people did do it...and then see why the people who didn't...didn't

I did do it, and if you like to own a copy, send me your address so I can post the DVD for you.:cheese:

isn't 5 years "quite a while"? i thought it was seeing as that's like 1825 days, or 43800 hours, or 2628000 minutes, or 157680000 seconds.

so yeah, i reckon HL2 fans have had to wait quite a while.

Originally posted by G0rgon
I did do it, and if you like to own a copy, send me your address so I can post the DVD for you.:cheese:

G0rgon i'm surprised you have the cheek to admit you downloaded the beta. i suppose it doesn't really hit you how sick it would make you feel if someone stole your work, and not only that, started bragging about it publicly and jokingly or not offered to send out dvds filled with this work.

Man I am not that bad, I have feelings too. but you kow its called Curiosity.

Moreover I did delete it from my HD, Because of option number one.

Originally posted by Dedalus
isn't 5 years "quite a while"? i thought it was seeing as that's like 1825 days, or 43800 hours, or 2628000 minutes, or 157680000 seconds.

so yeah, i reckon HL2 fans have had to wait quite a while.
You're counting the entire time Half-Life has been out as if you knew about HL2 the whole time and weren't having fun with HL?

You're not "waiting" for something until you know that it is coming...

... and you do know that they just went public with it several months ago, right?

If all you think about when you play a game is "When are they going to make a sequel?" you have a problem.

it's good to hear you mended your ways and redeemed yourself. just don't go advocating that sort of action, it's very hurtful as a developer to know your own fans would rip you off like that. what incentive would i have to give the fans something special if they hacked our computers and ripped all our stuff?

anyway, i voted for the moral issue, simply because your respect for Valve should outweigh any curiosity/yearning you have for early code.

Man I am not that bad, I have feelings too. but you kow its called Curiosity.
That's like a person doing Heroine looking over at a person doing Crack and saying "At least I'm not that bad!"

Dedalus, I do have a respect to valve.

but 97993 poeple and the number is still counting upwards>>> made me download it.

Originally posted by OCybrManO
That's like a person doing Heroine looking over at a person doing Crack and saying "At least I'm not that bad!"

I liked your point but this is very diffrent case (HL2 beta)..:|

Hmmm... 97993 people you don't know made you do something by telling you about it (or just doing it themselves) over the Internet?

Damn lemmings...
I liked your point but this is very diffrent case (HL2 beta)..:|
When will people understand that comparisons like that aren't supposed to be exactly the same as what they are used to comment about.

They are meant to exaggerate the situation to make the problem more noticeable.

You're doing an illegal activity and then saying you're not as bad as someone else doing another illegal activity... sure, his may do more damage, but they are both illegal.

You're counting the entire time Half-Life has been out as if you knew about HL2 the whole time and weren't having fun with HL?

You're not "waiting" for something until you know that it is coming...

... and you do know that they just went public with it several months ago, right?

If all you think about when you play a game is "When are they going to make a sequel?" you have a problem.

Dear Mr Pedantic,

speaking from first hand experience, if a game is successful then it's more than likely that we'll see a sequel sometime soon. if i asked you: how long have you waited for HL2? the answer would most probably be 5 years. yes i do know HL2 was announced earlier this year.

if you want to be super pedantic then:
"You're not "waiting" for something until you know that it is coming"

-a virgin would be waiting for a shag even though they didn't know when it was coming.

-i think most fans knew something was coming out of the Valve doors sooner or later, so yes they were waiting, whether they knew it was HL2 or not is another matter.

and i'm gonna call it quits there because this is going to de-evolve into some neanderthal style head bashing for ego's about who knows more about something or other. pedants never prosper mate, just chill.

it's good to hear you mended your ways and redeemed yourself. just don't go advocating that sort of action, it's very hurtful as a developer to know your own fans would rip you off like that. what incentive would i have to give the fans something special if they hacked our computers and ripped all our stuff?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but don't you think all the people who downloaded the beta are going to actually buy HL2 when it comes out? The fans aren't ripping Valve off, they just wanted to play it really badly, I agree a beta leak wasn't the best way to get it out, but all the people who downloaded it are probably true fans who WILL buy the game and do respect Valve, least that's how I see it.

OCybrManO.

you don't believe me, check your pm in one min.

I pld beta fixed up but what has ruined it for me was the official demo's so when I pld the Beta wasn't as exciting as it should have being.

/of course still dying to play the game :)

Originally posted by Alzxul
I'm not saying you're wrong, but don't you think all the people who downloaded the beta are going to actually buy HL2 when it comes out? The fans aren't ripping Valve off, they just wanted to play it really badly, I agree a beta leak wasn't the best way to get it out, but all the people who downloaded it are probably true fans who WILL buy the game and do respect Valve, least that's how I see it.

i'm not sure how far we're allowed to go with this beta discussion but: yes you're right some people will still buy it. but in my opinion, i'd rather have the fans on my side, rather than consorting with the enemy and leeching off them. don't get me wrong, i'm sure people like G0rgon will buy a copy for every room in their house, it's just...well....'wrong'.

-a virgin would be waiting for a shag even though they didn't know when it was coming.
If he/she knows that it is coming and thinks about it at least occasionally (If you're totally involved in something else you aren't really waiting are you?)... then yes, I would say they are waiting.

-i think most fans knew something was coming out of the Valve doors sooner or later, so yes they were waiting, whether they knew it was HL2 or not is another matter.
Yeah, most people knew Valve was working on another project... but it was called TF2.

What you describe in that statement is called "expecting" or "hoping"... not "waiting".

What you call "pedantic" is what I call "knowing what words mean"...

ok ok ok...you're just...completely off the scale...am i able to reach you?

read: Pedantic - Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for book learning and formal rules: a pedantic attention to details.

in other words, has no place with what we were discussing. now you're likely to bring up my break down of the 5 years into days/minutes/seconds, to which i'll say it was a jest, and yes i should probably have put a smiley after it so it wouldn't make you so hot under the collar.

you have a supressed feeling of one-upmanship in my opinion. so take your trophy if it makes you feel better, it's just not very constructive to use your pedants skills in such a way.

a pedant is:

One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
Obsolete. A schoolmaster.

ostentatiously is:

Characterized by or given to ostentation; pretentious. See Synonyms at showy.

so in other words it's not a desirable quality to bandy about.

but go ahead i'm not stopping you cross checking and verifying everything i say.

i just think it's a stupid topic for you to get so defensive about. what are you trying to prove? it doesn't matter anyway, i'll hand you the victory or whatever.

The flaming begins...

I didn't download it for every single reason given in the poll.

I may be a bit pedantic at times (usually when provoked), but I have never known anyone that had the unmitigated audacity to call me ostentatious.

Might I remind you that you were the one that took my initial joke the wrong way and you were also the one that made this a personal matter by calling me names, attacking my character, insulting my intelligence, and calling this discussion a "neanderthal style head bashing for ego's".
... all while I refrained from saying bad things about you.

Now you say that I am the one that is in the wrong?

I don't trust the downloads. Not worth the risk of having my computer's security compromised.

And it is stolen property too. Don't want it.

I thought heroin was more deadly than cocaine?

I'm not an expert on illegal drugs... so, I'll take your word on that.

You should have added another option:

... I'll wait till it's released, then I'll get a bootleg of it.

Sign me up for that one!

holy crap 0CybrMan0...you can't get more 'into' online forums then you are. take a step back, stop taking everything so literally.

and yes, you are pretty much always pretentious, i've noticed in other threads.

this could go round in circles for hours but there's obviously no getting through to you as you persist in retaliating when there's no good reason.

Perhaps if you would do something other than just attacking me I would take you seriously... anyway, I have more important things to deal with right now.

For example:
A friend of mine died in a car accident two days ago and I'm going to get together with some of our mutual friends... and I've got several exams in the not-too-distant future.

Get off my back.

OCybrManO, this will be my last post directed to or about you. i've tried several times to diffuse this but you persist in retaliating. i've gotten to the point where i just can't help but saying...come on....what the **** is your problem? if you're an adult then i suggest you re-evaluate how you think/act. the two greatest qualities a person can have: to be able to admit when they're wrong, to be able to laugh at themselves. you demonstrate neither but claim to be on a higher plane or something.

so to finish up, i apologise for any misunderstandings, and just ****ing chill out man, it's only a forum.

I never wanted to download it because it would completely ruin my HL2 experience if I actually bought it and because 80% of all 'Beta' files out there are just viruses or other useless stuff.

Plus, it's illegal.

First, re-read the edited version of my last post... that might explain a bit.

I still fail to see where I lost my temper in the first place or what I was so incredibly wrong about that infuriated you as it did... but for the sake the rest of the community, I agree that we should just drop it.

I will never (and don't recall doing it before) say (or imply) that I am on a higher plane, "holier than thou", or anything of the sort... if you think my writing style has that effect, then I'm sorry for learning to write the way I did.

In real life I laugh at myself a lot... probably too much (maybe I only have a limited amount of laughter to use and I waste it all on my friends).
There is nothing I like more than making people laugh... and I hope you guys are getting a good laugh out of this.

Back