I don't think will see Half-Life 3 for along time...

R

RezDude

Gabe did mention that he would be working on smaller projects, like maybe side-stories etc. I really think that they will wait until the next step and create a whole NEW engine for Half-Life 3. I don't think they will create a sequel with the current engine.

Also, hasn't it been mentioned somewhere that Half-Life will be a trilogy? I expect HL3 to come out around 2010. About the same amount of time it took between HL1 and HL2.

HL3 is using source...they said their upating the engine as time passes because "we spent to much money on it".

Lets say, 3 - 4 years.

Yea this is not completely legit, companies change their mind all the time, they may use the core of the Source code, but I'm sure the new engine will be called Source 2.0. Just like the Unreal games still use the Unreal engine, but heavily recoded and modified.

It is unknown when we will se HL2, My guess is 2008 or 2009. Maybe 2010, but this time hopefully they learned from their mistakes and will work faster. But either way we have HL2 to keep us busy for now. I don't want to start thinking about the long wait yet, in 3 years I may start to get antzy.

Look in the Info From VALVe thread. I don't think they want to stop using something they spent 3 odd years on and spent millions of dollars on.

"It will not take us another five years."

And yes, they've got the engine already, upgrade it with the latest stuff, and they can start building the game.

2-3 years until HL3 maybe 4 but not more. While sure they will updating the engine it's much easier/faster to develop HL3 for them as they already can start working on it and not have to wait til they have stable tools and engine and know how to use it efficiently

plus the spent a decent amount of time working on steam
depending on expansions/other projects = 3/4 years

Back