I found the easteregg (definately)

lambda^2

Reaction score
Ok you guys I didnt want to post this in the other easter egg thread, for it has become a little disordered by now.

Ok here goes. First, take a look at the post that started the "easter egg"-discussion in the first place, Gabe refered to it in this dialogue: (from the same guy who found the "ideal conditions"-egg, which is most definately another one)

Originally posted by Banana
9) Metal Gear Solid 2 (and maybe 1 i dont recall) had name tags for dead people and those names were the names of some selected fans. Have you ever thought of doing something like this (incorporating fan names) into the game somehow? If so, can i be Dead Scientist # 42 ?

There will be some surprises in the games. There's at least one Easter egg in the videos that no one has noticed yet.

So in this context, the egg isn't something affecting gameplay, more likely it's just something like a name (or sound) refering to something or someone, likely someone from Valve.
Take a look at the mail box in the traptown video, it says "Kirchmer Post" (it's a little hard to read but that's it for sure).

So, guess what, one guy from Valves staff is called

"Eric Kirchmer - Illustrator/3D Artist
Eric came to Valve after graduation from the Art Institute of Seattle in 2001. Originally from San Diego, Eric was a freelance illustrator who left the sun to work on more of a healthy monitor complexion. As part of the HL2 team, Eric is responsible for the game's visual density, by modeling everything from cars to broken concrete and debris. In the other few hours of Eric's life he can be found sculpting, raising bansai and working in his sketchbook."

Now, I'm pretty sure Eric also made the texture for this box :D

And by the way, here's one funny bug with this box in the trapown video, the same box is on the table Gordon uses to block the door, but here the writing on it is mirror-inverted, what is of course plain wrong (check the screenshot). Hopefully Eric notices this before HL2 ships, else you won't find him on the staff page much longer :) (j/k :cheese:)

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,101
Well, yes I guess that's an egg. I doubt it's what Gabe was referring to though, since he probably didn't even know. Also, the "conditions could hardly be more ideal" thing was discredited. No one ever says that in HL 1.

Cool!
So... are you going to check with Gabe if this is the easter egg he was talking about?

Re: Re: I found the easteregg (definately)

Originally posted by @bel
Cool!
So... are you going to check with Gabe if this is the easter egg he was talking about?

The only BINK videos out were the Docks and G-Man videos. This does sound like an Easter Egg, but I doubt he could've expected us to find it in the Shaky Cam E3 Video.

But maybe he hasn't watched the shaky cam videos.

Re: Re: Re: I found the easteregg (definately)

Originally posted by Feath
The only BINK videos out were the Docks and G-Man videos. This does sound like an Easter Egg, but I doubt he could've expected us to find it in the Shaky Cam E3 Video.

But maybe he hasn't watched the shaky cam videos.

the kliener one came out like the same day or day after or something if remember correctly beacause we were all looking at the kliener vid so i doubt this is it

sweet, email gabe about it, im positive he'll respond and say something about it.

Wow .. lambda^2, you don't post much, but all your posts are awesome. :thumbs:

Yes that must be it (or at least one of them). Can someone mail Gabe?

I just noticed how cool that masking tape on the box looks.

Go bump mapping.

is that a jar of creatine on that table too?

somebodys been pumping up....gordon maybe?

i wonder if you shoot the propane tank if it would blow up

Originally posted by Peks
i wonder if you shoot the propane tank if it would blow up
'

juding by the surrondings its empty

Ok you guys, just sent an email to Gabe, I'll post the answer here when (if) I get one. Another thing, I was of course speaking about a parcel, not about a "mail box" (sorry, actually my english is quite ok but there's nothing I can do against a little false friend every now and then :) )

And Tredoslop, download the Rad Video Tools from http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm, with "advanced play" you can enable various stuff like that frame information or a pause button.

Oh and alright, there really was no "ideal conditions" line in HL1, (yeah autosuggestion is really funny sometimes)

wooo, sweet, I'll be awaiting an answer by tomorrow.. verryy nice find, good eye, thanks for advanced tools!

lambada, first off, the folks from vavle that was telling us weather this was the easter egg or that ws the easter egg happend like 2-3 weeks ago when the vids wernt out yet(or was he talkin about the original mov from e3, the 23 min. 600 mb.) cause im a little confused here? anyone clairfy...

Originally posted by wbcheater
lambada, first off, the folks from vavle that was telling us weather this was the easter egg or that ws the easter egg happend like 2-3 weeks ago when the vids wernt out yet(or was he talkin about the original mov from e3, the 23 min. 600 mb.) cause im a little confused here? anyone clairfy...

They said it after Kleiner came out. But Gabe could have been talking about the e3 one also.

Originally posted by KamiKid
This is *NOT* the easter egg, good find though.

Why? Do you know what The Easter Egg is?

1 post Kami? and you know that it isnt the Egg? Are you Gabe??? :cheers: :cheers: Lol Good find Lam

it is an easter egg. an eastegg is defined as the author of a map or object (he modeled it) puts some sort of marking on it to make it unique to him.

so by my definition that is an easter egg albeit simplistic. (moreso than most people would have thought)

that is definetly an easter egg, i hope there are more.

wheres the egg?!
if its that thing on the right side of the box its just texture?!
its on all the box's so that means theres more then one or am i just blind and have no idea where it is

That is not an easter egg at all. They needed to put a post office name on there. They aren't going to put *real* post office names on there, so they have to make something up. So they used the guy's last name. So what. That doesn't make it an easter egg. Chances are that dude is the one who MADE the texture for the box. This doesn't make it an easter egg.

They can't be sticking "UPS" labels on boxes, you know :/

If you want to get technical I guess some would consider it an easter egg, but whatever. My point is that I don't think this is what Gabe was talking about. This was just a quick fix idea for a fake post office.

I agree. As I said earlier, yes this is technically and easter egg, but I really doubt it's what Gabe was talking about (if he even knew it existed).

Originally posted by Quackzilla
umm, i know its not the eggbut thats all i can say
NDA

Ahahahahahaha...NDA...for an easter egg...you sir are one funny man. :cool:

I think thats not the easter egg gabe mentioned, coz I have absolutely read an email from gabe that u should look in the eye glimpses(or whatever the reflection in the eyes is called) of the characters to find the easter egg.

Reversed text on a box?

Lol i wouldnt call that an easter egg, jsut a mistake.

The reversed word to the right is supposed to be the name of one of the texture artists... which is what the first easter eggs put in games were, names of developers.

the egg is not about the text being REVERSED, it's about what the text SAYS.
Take a look at the mail box in the traptown video, it says "Kirchmer Post" (it's a little hard to read but that's it for sure).
So, guess what, one guy from Valves staff is called
"Eric Kirchmer - Illustrator/3D Artist
(posted at the same time as cybrman)

Does anyone know what the text on the walls in the tech demo says? Each tile has some big word and a 7 something under it.

If thats the egg im very very disapointed :/

Back