I have memory sticks in slot 1 and 3, why?

Dark8Master89

Reaction score
I looked in side my pc and i saw that the memory was in slot 1 and 3
and spaces 2 and 4 was free, why wasnt the memory put in at 1 and 2? would it make a difference if i put it in 1 and 2?

Don't you run dual channel mode in 1 and 3 or 2 and 4?
You must have 2x512 sticks in dual channel.

i dont know what i got...is there a way to find out if its "dual channel"? is dual channel good?

Yes, it's dual channel memory. Which means if you want to keep it running in dual channel memory and not single channel, you will want to install memory 2 at a time.

Slot 1/2 are for the first channel.
Slot 3/4 are for the second channel.

Dark8Master89 said:
i dont know what i got...is there a way to find out if its "dual channel"? is dual channel good?

Yes, you use it if you have two sticks of the same amount of ram i.e. 2x256mb like mine, it's like a more efficient way of using the ram, gives you better performance.

can there be 4 sticks of Ram running in Dual Channel?

Slik said:
can there be 4 sticks of Ram running in Dual Channel?

yes. sticks 1 and 2 in a channel thingy (not sure what it's called) and 3 and 4 in another.

you will have to check which slots are meant for dual channel on your motherboard. My MSI K8N neo2 needs the memory sticks to be in slot 1 and 2 for it to run in dual channel. However on my old Asus Nforce 2 the memory had to be in slots 1 and 3 to run in dual channel. Check in your motherboard instruction book if you have one.

bosox188 said:
Yes, you use it if you have two sticks of the same amount of ram i.e. 2x256mb like mine, it's like a more efficient way of using the ram, gives you better performance.

Ah very good, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Back