I haven't been here in a long ass time, but I need some help

Reaction score
Don't know if any of you remember me.

I haven't been here since forever, in fact I couldn't find this site at first (it was still HL2.net when I left)

Anyways, the title may look like I'm in an emergency, but fear not it's not.

I lost a huge chunk of my essay grade today, because I forgot to type .doc/.docx at the end of the file when I renamed it. Which means you can still open the file through word, but if you open it directly it will ask you for the specific application to open it with. The marker probably received that message, as he asked me to resend the file in "proper format".
When I got my essay back I lost a huge chunk of marks, and it's tough after spending so much time on it.

This is what was specifically written on the requirements

file format — .doc, .docx, or .rtf only

I don't know anyone familiar with this, so is it possible for me to make a case out of this that the file WAS in the right format, but I simply forgot to add an extension?

This is tough for me, I want to and need to maintain a high GPA in university but this specific course is what I'm struggling with most. And this is going to chunk at my grade so hard that I'll struggle to get a B+.

I don't know anyone familiar with this, so is it possible for me to make a case out of this that the file WAS in the right format, but I simply forgot to add an extension?
Not much we can do to help. The only thing you can do is explain that to him, tell him the truth, and then its out of your hands whether he believes you and/or increases your score. He'll either be like "Oh, ok, no problem" or "tough luck fool, you should have done it right to begin with." I've had my fair share of both kinds of teachers, pretty much a 50/50 shot.

Hey flamingtits, long time no see!

No my nickname for him has always been flamingtits.

Why do you think his avatar is what it is? I called him that before his avatar!

I inspired him. I inspired a generation!

Indeed the file was in the right format. The .abc extension is not a file format, but a container, which is pretty meaningless except for telling your computer how to open the file.

No my nickname for him has always been flamingtits.

Why do you think his avatar is what it is? I called him that before his avatar!

I inspired him. I inspired a generation!

Yes, yes you did. I think the last time I posted here was two years ago (or 1 1/2 years). Funny (and sad) how progress on HL3 hasn't moved an inch. (I'm surprised your avatars are still the same)

Indeed the file was in the right format. The .abc extension is not a file format, but a container, which is pretty meaningless except for telling your computer how to open the file.

I see.

My TA was the person who marked the paper, he had to mark a few hundred paper so I'm guessing he was annoyed when he couldn't directly open my file. I'll speak to my prof about it. Honestly, I don't think forgetting to add .docx to the end of a file name warrants losing a chunk of my over all course grade, even though it was a careless mistake on my part.

Teacher (or TA) sounds like a douche? If I was the teacher, and received a file with no obvious extension in that context, I'd take exactly one stab at opening it with Word (which should work in these cases most of the time, and I shouldn't have to fight it), read/grade it as normal, and just mark down accordingly for the rookie move with the filename extension (which would be very minor for the nuisance, unless the content of the essay was about MIME types and file extensions, in which case the markdown might be more severe).

As much as your file was in the right format, I'm with the other posters here - part of that format was labeling it appropriately with those extensions. Cross your fingers, man.

Also, long time, no see! I'm mildly curious why you fired up a video game community site for questions about homework like this... not the first place I'd go, personally, but maybe I'm missing something. HL3 still not out yet... kinda funny when you look at it from your perspective.

Always nice when an old member shows up again. I don't have anything to contribute that hasn't been said already, however.

Teacher (or TA) sounds like a douche? If I was the teacher, and received a file with no obvious extension in that context, I'd take exactly one stab at opening it with Word (which should work in these cases most of the time, and I shouldn't have to fight it), read/grade it as normal, and just mark down accordingly for the rookie move with the filename extension (which would be very minor for the nuisance, unless the content of the essay was about MIME types and file extensions, in which case the markdown might be more severe).

As much as your file was in the right format, I'm with the other posters here - part of that format was labeling it appropriately with those extensions. Cross your fingers, man.

Also, long time, no see! I'm mildly curious why you fired up a video game community site for questions about homework like this... not the first place I'd go, personally, but maybe I'm missing something. HL3 still not out yet... kinda funny when you look at it from your perspective.

I'm in university, so yeah the TA wasn't very kind. I'd make a case with the Prof first and then the TA.

I know it's weird why I decided to pick this place, but I don't know anybody who is familiar with these types of formatting and tech stuff. And I remember that when I was here, especially in the lounge area, there were a lot of posters here who gave solid opinions and are knowledgeable in these computer formatting stuff in general. After all, I'm trying to get as technical as possible in formatting to make my case.

So I thought I might as well start revisiting this place, and since I only have a few days to make solid case to get my marks back, I thought I'll try as many places as possible to get the best advice.

Just be glad you didn't submit to him a video that's missing the extension and rendered in non-standard compression.

If the grader/prof is reasonable, they should give you points back. Also if the original file you sent was on blackboard or emailed, it helps to be able to point to that archived copy so they don't have to take your word for it.

(p.s. It sounds like the TA is being the jerk but that is not always the case. Sometimes they have very strict rubrics to follow. Once I graded exams and the average was a 70 following the professor's rubric; but the prof emphasized "your TA graded these" when announcing that scores were posted :()

I have a worse story. I was writing a paper on women's issues. I named the file womens problem lol. I was just about to attach it to a mail and send it when I realized I never changed the file name. Teacher was woman.

Don't know if any of you remember me.

I haven't been here since forever, in fact I couldn't find this site at first (it was still HL2.net when I left)

Anyways, the title may look like I'm in an emergency, but fear not it's not.

I lost a huge chunk of my essay grade today, because I forgot to type .doc/.docx at the end of the file when I renamed it. Which means you can still open the file through word, but if you open it directly it will ask you for the specific application to open it with. The marker probably received that message, as he asked me to resend the file in "proper format".
When I got my essay back I lost a huge chunk of marks, and it's tough after spending so much time on it.

This is what was specifically written on the requirements

file format — .doc, .docx, or .rtf only

This is tough for me, I want to and need to maintain a high GPA in university but this specific course is what I'm struggling with most. And this is going to chunk at my grade so hard that I'll struggle to get a B+.
Your file is in the right format, filename extensions don't determine filetype. If you rightclick the file and open with the right program, it will load as a .doc file. It's arguable that your file name typo doesn't violate the filetype requirement. You did technically follow the rules, after all.

Your file is in the right format, filename extensions don't determine filetype. If you rightclick the file and open with the right program, it will load as a .doc file. It's arguable that your file name typo doesn't violate the filetype requirement. You did technically follow the rules, after all.
WHA'DID I SAY

Back