I hope we get some more levels...not from modders

S

SeperoithX

I want some more offical levels not ones created by some punk...lol...thats what im hopeing for any way...How about you :cheers:

:| What do you mean by some "punk"? Counter-Strike was created unofficially at first, look what it's became, no Valve did not create it, some "punk" did.

Me too, but there are some very good modders out there, Valve put out DM, but they are leaving it to the modders for the rest i presume (5000$ contest)

i would be expecting levels from modders since valve has opened up a contest for the best hl2 mp map.

I would expect the contest winners to become official maps. Probably in the contest rules.

Ahnteis said:
I would expect the contest winners to become official maps. Probably in the contest rules.

:naughty: Yeah, most likely. It's how Valve's picking out the best obviously.

Yeh, I checked the terms and conditions. If you accept the prize, you grant Valve irrevocable rights to use your map however they see fit, including putting it into a free update.

ailevation said:
:| What do you mean by some "punk"? Counter-Strike was created unofficially at first, look what it's became, no Valve did not create it, some "punk" did.
Indeed... VALVe wouldent be half as popular now if it werent for CS and DoD.

Anyway, I've found unoffical maps to alway to always be more fun than offical ones.

Not to mention user created ones are constantly being pumped out. If it werent for those "punks", you'd be playing the same 5 boring maps for ever.

SeperoithX said:
I want some more offical levels not ones created by some punk...lol...thats what im hopeing for any way...How about you :cheers:

why not? some people make some very good maps.

VALVe can't continue, they have all January and beyond dedicated to HL3, hence why they're holding a contest. And if they're just importing levels from SP, then I don't think anymore are neccessary... but i'm currently working on a map for it, and I think you'll like it (actual lighting, a good design, and possible new textures)

SkateXer99 said:
VALVe can't continue, they have all January and beyond dedicated to HL3, hence why they're holding a contest. And if they're just importing levels from SP, then I don't think anymore are neccessary... but i'm currently working on a map for it, and I think you'll like it (actual lighting, a good design, and possible new textures)

Cant forget about the Uber ATI levels.
Which I find hard to belive will only run on high end systems. What are they going to do? Run a test, "NOPE, sorri!1 Ur Computar iz teh Sh!t :( Bai"

-Alix

The problem with user-made maps is that no matter how good they are, it's hard to get any central agreement on which to use, and nothing works as well as just having official maps that everyone has in common. Valve ultimately needs to be the one to put out new maps.

It's actually pretty worrisome. There are like 5 different conversions of gasworks to HL2DM going on right now. Gasworks NEEDS to be a map in HL2DM: it's too much of a classic and a great map. But who's will be THE gasworks? And even if it is obvious which is the best, how do we coordinate which is which?

Alix Mcdean said:
Cant forget about the Uber ATI levels.
Which I find hard to belive will only run on high end systems. What are they going to do? Run a test, "NOPE, sorri!1 Ur Computar iz teh Sh!t :( Bai"

-Alix

Could someone direct me to a direct quote or at least a specific rumour that refers to these so-called 'ATI levels?' I am not questioning the validity of the statement (well, maybe a little). I am just curious as to where everyone got this tidbit of information. I have been following the release of HL2 fairly close (or so I thought) and the only mention I've heard of these levels is from message boards like these.

I agree with the poster. I want professional stuff. I'm sorry, but I can tell the difference. And modding used to be the product of someone who wanted to play what they made; they made it because they wanted to play it. Now it's something else, I think.

Yeah, and I heard that the ATI levels will only work on 'high-end' ATI cards, whatever that means. (I saw the article/interview with the Valve quote-- it's not just a message board rumor.) Pretty lame business practice, to try and get people to shell out four to five hundred dollars just to be able to play the new content. And if it turns out that you do need an X800 to play them, then it's sickeningly greedy on Valve's part. They need to not get too big for themselves, or people might start to turn against them.

Rhalle:

Where do you think all the professional level designers came from? They didn't get on-the-job training. There's thousands of commercial-quality level designers out there. I suspect quite a lot of them will be entering this contest.

Rhalle said:
I agree with the poster. I want professional stuff. I'm sorry, but I can tell the difference. And modding used to be the product of someone who wanted to play what they made; they made it because they wanted to play it. Now it's something else, I think.

Yeah, and I heard that the ATI levels will only work on 'high-end' ATI cards, whatever that means. (I saw the article/interview with the Valve quote-- it's not just a message board rumor.) Pretty lame business practice, to try and get people to shell out four to five hundred dollars just to be able to play the new content. And if it turns out that you do need an X800 to play them, then it's sickeningly greedy on Valve's part. They need to not get too big for themselves, or people might start to turn against them.

Im not exactly sure its a business practice, but rather a payback since they DID kinda screw ATI over :(

-Alix

Rhalle said:
<snip>

I found the reference here . It seems that the designation 'ATI levels' was only a pet name given by Newell. The only prerequisite that I can deduce from that article is that a really good graphics card is required. I'm sure Valve isn't going to be THAT anal about the brand of video card.

I have never played any professional maps that are better then some amateur maps I have played (ns_nancy anyone?).

Pi Mu, that's kind of my point.

People make mods now for the experience, and to get jobs. CS guys didn't start on CS until after the game was released. They had an idea, and started on it. Most mod makers started before HL2 was even out.

The guys making CS didn't know what it would become.

I can tell when something is pro and when its not; I don't think its all that unusual: just looking and trying to figure out something Valve makes and something they don't make is easy. The pros make better choices in all kinds of ways, usually. Mod people are talented, but its usually not of the highest quality.

I still think I saw someplace that 'a high-end ATI card is required'. There's no other reason to call them "ATI levels" if it wasn't something like that, but ..who knows...?

and for christs sake ur an embarressment to the ff7 community.

its sephiroth nub.

ATI levels will rule! cant wait I got my X800 XT PE waiting for the juicy levels :).

Hl2dm is roxor and I can't wait for the amount of levels set to come out.Bring it on valve!

Open Mouth...Insert Foot...sorry i didnt mean to word it like that i just thought that valve could create a map...i dunno maybe it would be better then what we could do...maybe im very wrong..sorry

Originally Posted by ShinRa
and for christs sake ur an embarressment to the ff7 community.

its sephiroth nub.

And i know it's spelled sephiroth and i didnt want to spell my name like sephiroth so dont be a fag...I like FF series as much as the next guy

Im an amatuer mapper, but I if I wanted, I CAN make a professional quality map. I've done it before, it was a map called USS Aurora and it was a startrek map.

You can see screenshots of some of my old maps including USS Aurora at this addy.. http://www.angelfire.com/clone/adam321

Back