I need help

Reaction score
Half-Life 2 keeps crashing on both of my computers. i tried to register in Steam but its pretty shocking how impossible that is, no normal human being can possibly look at their security images, and then it just keeps giving me the "You did not enter the correct format for the Steam Community Profile field. Please read the field description for the expected format" error whenever i do get it right *by guessing* i am really stressed out. i tried to use google to find out how i can view the error log in steam but it does not help. I just need to know how to i find the error log so i can finally find out what is the reason for half-life 2 to continue to crash.

thank you.

I tried to register for the Steam Forums, to see if i could find help there. i'm a steam user, my account name is Duhlevon.

They really aren't that hard. Anyway,

first, in Steam, right click half life 2, hit properties, go through the tabs until you find 'verify local cache', and do that.

If that doesn't fix it post your PC specifications here.

I've got a similar problem which i would be delighted if anybody could help me with. Half-Life 2 crashes whenever there's more than just a little action around mr. Freeman. This happens on several different locations. It's also notable that CS:S runs without problems.

Local files validated and verified, memtest confirmed RAM is ok, drivers up to date. Also tried meddling with the game graphics without any success.

System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Asus Rampage II Extreme, Intel Core™ i7 Quad i7-960,Crucial RealSSD C300 2,5" 256GB, Powercolor Radeon HD 5870, 6x2 GB corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM.

Thanks in advance.

System Specs:

Sony VAIO VGN-FW480J Laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.00 Ghz x2 P7350
6.00GB of RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 HD 512MB Dedicated Video Memory
Direct X 9.0C +

wait, that's wrong, that's my laptop (half-life 2 doesn't run on that for another reason. Here are the specs for the computer i am inquiring:

Compaq Presario Desktop

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 ghz x2 with Hyper threadingn
2.00 GB of Ram
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP with 128MB Video Memory

2003 called.

Sorry I can't be of help but I had to say that, heh.

Because nobody was able to help, i have found the solution myself, i will post it, for the troubled soul that may run into this problem in the future.

The reason half life kept freezing is because i downloaded an elite combine skin from FPS banana. the skin was corrupt, and in so doing caused the game to crashed whenever combine elites would show up.

When skinning: always retain your original files! they are essential for you to determine i a skin will render the game unplayable.

Thankyou, and goodbye.

Wait, what? Retain what original files? The original files are in the GCFs, and you can not touch them. Getting rid of custom downloaded content is as simple as deleting it.

Perhaps you are using some illegal version of HL2 that does not use GCFs?
Why would a skin uploaded on FPSBanana cause your game to crash?
Perhaps it's not compatible with your pirate version?

:frown:

Wasn't custom content stored in the game folder that Steam creates after you play the game?

Are you replying to me?

Yes, that's correct. Custom content that you want to replace the GCF files with goes into your Halflife2\hl2 folder, (or whatever game).

If there is no content there for a given sound/model/texture/etc, then it uses the default content stored in the GCF files in your steamapps folder.

Perhaps you are using some illegal version of HL2 that does not use GCFs?
Why would a skin uploaded on FPSBanana cause your game to crash?
Perhaps it's not compatible with your pirate version?

:frown:
Or maybe he didn't realise that the GCFs didn't need to be backed up and the skin crashed his game because it was made for the un-updated version of HL2.

Or maybe he didn't realise that the GCFs didn't need to be backed up

What? Backing up GCFs? Did you read anything I said? You do not touch the GCFs at all at any point, and if he had gotten rid of them or modified them (dont even know how you would do this) they would need to be redownloaded before he could even start the game up.

Back