I Reformatted And Cant Get My Sound Card To Work

N

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn

I reformatted today and reinstalled the drivers for my Sound Blaster Audigy Creative that came with my Dell (A Cd that came with it).
But I cant get sound to work, I downloaded drivers off of Creative and installed them yet it still doesnt work. I do not understand should I do something in the devicde manager to add these drivers to the tab 'Audigy Sound Card' tab under 'Sound Cards' tab in device manager or do i not have to do that and the drivers are installed anyway when you run the .exe downloaded file????

Please help the same problem with my Radeon 9800 Pro graphics Card as well!. THIS IS SHIT!

sorry sorry sorry sorry (this forum made me post that over again because the replky was too short for one sorry)

1. Check if your speakers are plugged in.
2. Check if the power cord plugged in.
3. Check if the volume is on.
4. If the above don't solve the problem, I can't help. Sorry.

Halflife2.net > Half-Life 2 Forums > Half-Life 2 Discussion???????????

Sorry, I'd take a stab at your motherboard not being configured properly if your sound card and video are both on the blink.

Are your speakers the type with an external volume control, like the end of a wire?

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
sorry sorry sorry sorry (this forum made me post that over again because the replky was too short for one sorry)

Are you saying that both your Soundblaster and your ATI card drivers won't install? When you go to the Device Manager does it show any yellow marks next to devices? Does it show something other than your ATI or Soundblaster as the soundcard/videocard? Make sure any on-board sound and video cards are disabled. Make sure you download the newest drivers off of the companies websites. Uninstall any old drivers before installing the newest ones... Other than that, all I have to say is that Dell sucks... only reason I use one is because I have to for work... as in (My office computer at the job) I'd love to toss it and build my own. I've built my last two computers and I'll never buy anything ever... unless its a new Alienware system... and I can build the same thing and save $700 myself.

yeh, umm i think the problem is that when i reformatted the computer defaulted to onboard sound, I think I have to disable it somehow.
Could somebody explain?

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn said:
yeh, umm i think the problem is that when i reformatted the computer defaulted to onboard sound, I think I have to disable it somehow.
Could somebody explain?

Go into the bios setting by pressing [del} key. Cant remember off hand but one of the menu's will allow you to disable on board sound. i would imagine it would be the same for on board graphics. hope that helps!

this is a software problem, because all you said you did was format correct?
if so

what operating system are you using?
get the latest version of directx (if you havent already)
update windows completely (always a good idea), if you cant find the windows update button, go to www.windowsupdate.com (you have to be using Internet Explorer for their site though) and just follow through with their instructions there.

as Frost said, check your hardware devices:
if using winxp do this:
click "start" then select "run"
then type "Control panel" and hit enter
then double click the "System" Icon
then click on the "hardware" tab
then click on the "Device Manager" button

now in the popup device manager window
tell me if you see any devices that have exclamation points in a yellow circle.

click the + in a box next to "Display Adapters" this will expand its contents, tell me what is listed under it.

click the + in a box next to "Sound, Video and Game controllers" tell me if you see any exclamation points in yellow circles, and list what you have there.

ok I can help you further once you have answered those questions.

neil7 said:
Go into the bios setting by pressing [del} key. Cant remember off hand but one of the menu's will allow you to disable on board sound. i would imagine it would be the same for on board graphics. hope that helps!
this is true, especially on ASUS boards, however he didnt reset his bios.. he said he merely formatted, so this is a problem with his OS configuration.
never mess around in bios unless you know what your doing (its just safer that way)

I had an exclamation mark in my device manager under the tab 'Other Hardware' I cant remember what it was called, i couldnt find drivers for it so io uninstalled, i installed drivers for SoundBlaster Audigy, there are no exclamation marks next to the things under sound video and game controllers.

Back