I Think Half-Life2 and Doom 3 should be related...

U

UglyCombineWoman

---- ok hear me out----

Doom3- bad experiment goes wrong>>> yada yada yada>>> you go to hell and save the day.

Half-Life- (another) bad experiment goes wrong>>> ya ya>>> then you go to "Xen" and you save the day.

So what im saying is, is that the stories of both games are fairly similar, Doom3 , experiment goes wrong ( exactly what happens in Half-Life) , then you must go to Hell, and kill the "final Boss" (o_O), as in half-life you go to "Xen" which is like thier version of hell, and you fight voldimort ( im not quite sure if thats its name ). as i said befor, these stories are very similar. So in the Ids and Valves next game, i suggest either combineing stories, or adding little easter eggs relating to both games. I know this has a .000001 % chance of happening but, hey its just a thought. :p

interesting point....maybe the strider should be the cyber demon. :)

Uhh.. not to spoil the game for anyone, but the demonic invasion in Doom 3 was NO accident.. not by a long shot..

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

UndeadScottsman said:
Uhh.. not to spoil the game for anyone, but the demonic invasion in Doom 3 was NO accident.. not by a long shot..

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

YEa, i agree, but the G-man might be responsible for the black mesa incident, but we will never know until half life 2.

UndeadScottsman said:

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Thanks mate, I'm not actually up to Hell yet, but you certainly ruined a major part of the story for me :thumbs:

Shit head.

iamaelephant said:
Thanks mate, I'm not actually up to Hell yet, but you certainly ruined a major part of the story for me :thumbs:

Shit head.

Oh please, you didn't know that already? Its a given from the first cutscene

YEa, i agree, but the G-man might be responsible for the black mesa incident, but we will never know until half life 2.

Who says? HL2 might end with unanswered questions...But jeez i dont think i can wait another 6 years for HL3. Sooo i hope youre right and everything is nicely wrapped up in HL2 :)

And Uglycombinewoman, Doom 3 and HL2 are like enemies and it doesnt matter how similar they are theyre gonna fight to the death!!!

well i have a feeling iamaelephant knew exactly who the main badguy was before he even played the game. As did most of us who have been watching or following the game since last year, or even when it was announced as going Gold

Idonotbelonghere said:
Who says? HL2 might end with unanswered questions...But jeez i dont think i can wait another 6 years for HL3. Sooo i hope youre right and everything is nicely wrapped up in HL2 :)

And Uglycombinewoman, Doom 3 and HL2 are like enemies and it doesnt matter how similar they are theyre gonna fight to the death!!!
HL² will leave open as many or even more questions as HL1 And HL² wont take 6 years because they now don't have to spend 4.5 years on making the engine, they will use source.

Yeah I knew who the main baddy is (Bertruger, right?) but I didn't know the portal to hell was no accident. F*ck off with your spoilers asswipe.

there are other similarities ive noticed comparing doom3 to halflife. like there is a vent in doom3 where gibs come out of, just like in halflife, there is a vent where gibs come out of. except halflife was a bit cooler cause you saw the scientist getting dragged in first.

also when swan and his bodyguard were passing by seeing them through a bulletproof window, reminded me a lot of gman making his exits.

but bah, im not meaning to bash doom3, doom3 isn't groundbreaking ideas that makes it cool, its the graphics and atmosphere imo. love it

Yeah, cheers for spoiling that bit of Doom 3.

And this has been discussed about 2 - 3 times before.

First of all; Valve, and ID isn't enemies!

Second; dont compare Doom 3 with HL. Couse hl was a major ripoff of the original Doom. And so was many other fps games.

For the last time, Doom did not have a story it had a premise, a rather unoriginal premise, I might add. Half-Life had the same premise but it fleshed it out into a genuine story that was uniquely its own. Doom 3 also had the same premise, but it also "borrowed" a lot of its story elements from Half-Life.

In short, all three games had the same premise, but Half-Life was the only one with an original story.

As for getting upset about Doom 3 "spoilers", please, the story isn't strong enough to be ruined by spoilers.

Farcry - Vacation goes wrong >>>yada yada yada >>> saves the day....

most games use that road....

Just got Doom3......... and I bloomin love it :D
It's nothing like half-life, I mean ok, they both have a similar basic idea (but lets face it- how many excuses are there for shooting monsters in a game). Beyond that fact tho they are very different creatures.
Half-life was plot driven (tho a shallow plot it was) and got the player involved thru magnificent set pieces and the unique way the story unfolded.
Doom3 is all about scaring you witless and keeping you on edge, I'm not saying the story is unimportant but my first impression is that the atmosphere is dooms primary feature. I dont remember bricking it playing half-life within an hour of starting!

As for the multi-player I'll probably have to wait till the official release over here before more people get online, cos at the moment the only servers are high ping long distance jobbies:(

And for the record I'm still more excited about getting the CS:S beta next week than searching dark corners with my flashlight in doom3!

I'm not a fanboy but CS is definitely my bag, whereas I love D3 but I dont know how long my ticker can hold out :eek:

UndeadScottsman said:

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

not to spoil the game for anyone? well heres a thought, rather than, infact, spoiling a large portion of the game for us like u just did, put it in a spoiler box :flame:

Doom 3 is 20 and Half-life 2 is 36

Thats right Doom 3 is 20 hours but Half-life 2 is 36 hours of game play. How do I know you say? Well, IGN wrote about the most promising shooters from now until Christmas and the first game up is HL2 and in the frist sentece about the game they write this "Around 36 hours of deliciously beautiful single-player" . WOW, if this is right! Thats 3 days of game play 3 days man. :borg:

skull24 said:
Thats right Doom 3 is 20 hours but Half-life 2 is 36 hours of game play. How do I know you say? Well, IGN wrote about the most promising shooters from now until Christmas and the first game up is HL2 and in the frist sentece about the game they write this "Around 36 hours of deliciously beautiful single-player" . WOW, if this is right! Thats 3 days of game play 3 days man. :borg:

That is just an estimate. Anyway it depends on how fast and good you are.

Doom 3 took me 13 hours to finish on marine (normal setting) in my first try, while the estimate was for 20+ hours.

ok ok i will have to come clean i guess.

i have kept it under my hat for so long..
i was assinged to the BMRF before gordon got there and i was leaning on my desk when the gman came in asked me for a status report. i said everytrhing was fine and he smirked and walked out of the room.. i turn around and spilt my coffee which short circuited the panels just as the gordon was pushing the specimen in to the particale phase aray.

sorry i was trying not to be a puttz. my boss couldn't fire me cause i had gotten the hell out of there..

i hear eli and kliener are still alive.. can anyone help me find them?

just so someone in this thread has got it right ...

it's Nihilanth (last boss of HL)

Also, I think there is reason to believe that the incident at the Black Mesa Complex was no accident either

Combining Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 is the absolute worst idea I have ever heard.

Back