I think I raped my Steam. (DirectX related problem.)

GM)Paravin.

Reaction score
Alright, I installed DirectX 9.0b so I could play Gta: SA.
But then, when I tried to play DoD:S, or HL2: EP1 (also HL2, HL:S, HL:2 Mods, and any other source game running the old engine) it asks me to install the newest version of DirectX (9.0c). But due to my lame computer, it isn't possible. Is it possible to run old engine Source games on DirectX 9.0b, or am I raped like a small child naked in Jacksons bedroom?

Because it's a damn Windows problem, it just can't install DirectX 9.0c.

You should be able you play GTA with 9.0c.
What happens when you try to install Direct X 9.0c?

Same old ''Finished installing''. I run -dxdiag, and nothing has changed.

k this will....possible help. click start. click run. now type in msconfig. hit ok. now click on the start up tab. go through and un-check all the applications you don't need. BE CAREFUL! if you screw up, you can, in short, kill your computer. this will stop all the applications you don't need/want to start up with your computer and stop them from leeching all your memory. ^_^

~Jink

If nothing else works, download the latest DirectX 9 Dlls and copy them into your system manually.

k this will....possible help. click start. click run. now type in msconfig. hit ok. now click on the start up tab. go through and un-check all the applications you don't need. BE CAREFUL! if you screw up, you can, in short, kill your computer. this will stop all the applications you don't need/want to start up with your computer and stop them from leeching all your memory. ^_^

~Jink

This has nothing to do with his issue, I don't know why you even bumped this thread to say that.

Source NEEDS DirectX 9.0c

well i wouldnt say it needs dx 9.0c , hell it doesnt even need dx9 at all. I have CSS running on a systems with a dx7 card. so.. that statement really isnt true. But having dx9.0c is important to have if you have a dx9 card.

well i wouldnt say it needs dx 9.0c , hell it doesnt even need dx9 at all. I have CSS running on a systems with a dx7 card. so.. that statement really isnt true. But having dx9.0c is important to have if you have a dx9 card.

You need the directx 9.0c library files to run the game, put directx 7 files on your pc and try to run it, will not do it.

but thats not what im saying. you may have programs that open when you start your computer up. when you have to many that you dont need, it slows your computer waaaaaaay down.

ohhh......my bad lol sorry....i mean it could be you computer. you said yourself its a piece of crap. not trying to be mean or anything but that could be it.

Back