I want to play HL2 without having to insert DVD... what are my options?

E

EtherealTML

I have been able to play Steam games in the past without having to insert the disc in my drive (for example, Half Life, and Condition Zero). However, it seems like HL2 wants me to put the DVD in the drive each and every time I want to play.

Question is, if people who ordered the game via steam can play without a disc, why is it then that people who bought the game retail are forced to engage in such archaic activity? Does anyone know a way to put an end to this disc swapping madness? Thanks

I e-mailed Valve "information" about this and I'm awaiting a response.

They don't need to fear pirates because one cd key is activated for one account.

Personally I hate using original hard copies of my software to play the game.

Trust me when I say there are *no* options at this time but to use the original CD/DVD.

This is my only gripe with HL2(retail).

As with most games, they always want you to use the CD/DVD while playing.

At a later date, Valve release a patch to fix any bugs found, along with no CD check. THIS always happens. So it should happen one day.

I have two CD-ROM so I can leave the CD in there.

1. Get a nocd crack. Not really recommended.
2. You can get a Virtual CD program that emulates CD copy protection, then make an image of the disc. I've got no idea about legality, besides it may vary from country to country. And the only free VCD program I know, Daemon Tools, does not currently support this version of SecuROM.
3. Sell your copy and get the Steam version :).
4. Wait for Valve to remove it. It's going to happen sooner or later.

I'll actually have the same problem, since I'm getting the CD version today. Damn.

Ari de Verci said:
1. Get a nocd crack. Not really recommended.
2. You can get a Virtual CD program that emulates CD copy protection, then make an image of the disc. I've got no idea about legality, besides it may vary from country to country. And the only free VCD program I know, Daemon Tools, does not currently support this version of SecuROM.
3. Sell your copy and get the Steam version :).
4. Wait for Valve to remove it. It's going to happen sooner or later.

I'll actually have the same problem, since I'm getting the CD version today. Damn.

im sorry to inform you that the game uses a protection that does not allow you to use any type of virtual cd programs

Tkmaster said:
im sorry to inform you that the game uses a protection that does not allow you to use any type of virtual cd programs

Then tell me, how is this different from all previous blacklists and why wouldn't it be fixed in the next release of these programs?

Why is having a CD in a drive such a problem? Or DVD for that matter.

Isn't that what the drive is for, for using? Not to fill a bay and look "cool" in a Silver Tower of Hardware.

(Nothing against cool cases)

Why do ppl ask so dumb questions? Just install Steam --> My Games --> Browse Games --> Register a product I already own, and then u dl the steam version. It's the cd key that counts, not if u have the DVD or not, like in CS, HL, DoD and all the other Steam games

Ari de Verci said:
And the only free VCD program I know, Daemon Tools, does not currently support this version of SecuROM.

VCD means Video CD, just fyi. May seem weird if u don't read the post well enough ^^

Dreamhacker said:
Why do ppl ask so dumb questions? Just install Steam --> My Games --> Browse Games --> Register a product I already own, and then u dl the steam version. It's the cd key that counts, not if u have the DVD or not, like in CS, HL, DoD and all the other Steam games

Did you try this yourself, if no, can anyone else confirm/deny?

About the VCD -> I guess this is what comes out of making abbreviations on the run. But I'm not editing, since VCD's are almost obsolete by now :).

Dreamhacker said:

THAT DOESNT WORK AT ALL
i have allready tried that and guess what.
its still asking for a cd (hell i even installed from the predownloaded gfc´s).
if u bought the retail, u gotta have the cd/dvd in it.

sux pretty much

It doesn't work because the CD key you used is a retail key, and it's conceivible that someone could go to a store, bust open a package, copy the CD key, go home and download the steam version, no charge. That's most likely why you need the CD in the drive.

Dreamhacker said:
when you enter a cdkey from retail it will ask for the cd to install it..
your idea is already proven to not work

I guess it seems that I'll just have to wait until Valve releases a patch. Either that, or maybe the kind folks at Alcoholsoft will figure out the DVD/securerom conflict phenomena.

Thanks to everyone who didn't give me a "dumb" answer.

jakenoble said:

Isn't that what the drive is for, for using? Not to fill a bay and look "cool" in a Silver Tower of Hardware.

The inconvenience of switching disks in and out everytime you want to play a game and the noise factor, I have a dvd drive that sounds like an airplane taking off, I'd prefer to hear the game and just play it with a modicum of convenience!!!

gundersausage said:
The inconvenience of switching disks in and out everytime you want to play a game and the noise factor, I have a dvd drive that sounds like an airplane taking off, I'd prefer to hear the game and just play it with a modicum of convenience!!!
Just take the CD out as soon as the main screen loads.

I have a question. If you use the same account on two different computers will you not be able to play because VALVe does something to ban you from playing on those two computers?

Ownzed said:
I have a question. If you use the same account on two different computers will you not be able to play because VALVe does something to ban you from playing on those two computers?

this is not true. you can have the same account on 2 different pcs, and Valve will not ban you from playing on those two computers. the only thing you cant do is play CS: Source online on the same server. both computers can play online at the same time but not on the same server.

dreamhacker was multi-owned :).
anyway
jakenoble said:

i thought the cd drive was supposed to be used as a cup holder?

daftshadow said:
this is not true. you can have the same account on 2 different pcs, and Valve will not ban you from playing on those two computers. the only thing you cant do is play CS: Source online on the same server. both computers can play online at the same time but not on the same server.

I find that hard to believe. you would have to be connected with both the pc from the same ip address. if the pc are in 2 different locations, it gives the steam ticket expired error

jakenoble said:

its just a pain in the ass to have to change the cds youve got in your drives all the time. it only takes a few seconds, but its hugely frustrating

I wonder, if someone with a retail copy went and preloaded the game, then used his key to authenticate, would he still be prompted for a CD?

Bobcat said:
I wonder, if someone with a retail copy went and preloaded the game, then used his key to authenticate, would he still be prompted for a CD?
I am that person, and yes, you still need a CD.

I've heard reports (on the Steam forums) that people have had the Daemon Tools work for them. Someone else had it up and running using Alcohol 120%, might want to give that a try.

Argh! I just went ahead and ordered the game this friday, and planned on installing from steam and play (as I don't have a DVD drive, and HL2 only ships on DVD in Europe...). Well, seems like I'll have to buy that damned DVD-drive I've held off for so long... Seems weird though that people buying the game through steam can play without the hassle to have the disc in their drive when I won't be able to.

Isn't the cd-key check through steam the safest piracy protection yet? Why then bother with the ancient "must have disc in drive" check that probably just annoys legal users and does nothing to stop piracy?

And no, I didn't want to buy through steam, it was cheaper retail, and it somehow feels more "safe" to actually have an original physical copy of the game I bought.

My mate has a broken CD drive, so he can't play until his new one arrives, so it does actually stop people from playing.

This is also the same with people that don't have a DVD drive.

So some people CANNOT play the game.

Thanks,
Mutley.

bobcat yes, I preloaded an bought retail when u input the key it asks for the frickin dvd :( i had to go buy a dvd drive

forkboy said:
Oh well For anyone that are NOT happy about Using the CD/DVD for Playing....I found this on The Fallout site:NoCD Patch.
NOTE: I have NOT tried it myself !

http://www.hlfallout.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21934

That guys website no longer works, but his patch is at http://www.gameburnworld.com/gp/gamefixes/halflife2.htm
its the one at the bottom, and yes it does work and it doesn't replace any files at all, it just simple runs from a different exe. There is no trojans or key stealers here, otherwise gameburnworld is notouruos for finding that out and removing the links. This guy also has the source code for it on his site to prove its not a trojan, but I'm using this until valve releases a patch.

Looks kinda dodgy really i mite just try and see if i can convert HL2 dvd into an image and run it using daemon tools, anyone tried it?

That link to the no cd patch worked great. Just make sure you read the nfo first and do what it says.

Im using the NOCD now, so lets hope it isn't a scam or something but it seems to be working fine.

i have a question for those who have bought retail copies.
does the CD/DVD need to be in the drive in order to play CS:Source and/or this supposed HL2 "DM" which pple seem to be playing?

also.. another question for anyone who can answer it.. basically the same question as above except for mods.. will retail copy owners need their CD/DVD in the drive in order to play mods as well? :|

i hope there is no CD/DVD needed for online play and for any of the mods.

I need the DVD in the drive to play HL2 + CS:S i don't know about the mods and I don't know about the mods or Hl2 DM as i havent tried any, I would use the DVD but i dont have a dvd drive so i borrowed an external DVD burner drive thingy and then he wanted it back so i was stuck and needed a NOCD or something, I havent played HL2 in ages im only up to Ravenholm as i only played it the Tuesday it came out.

westie said:
I need the DVD in the drive to play HL2 + CS:S i don't know about the mods and I don't know about the mods or Hl2 DM as i havent tried any, I would use the DVD but i dont have a dvd drive so i borrowed an external DVD burner drive thingy and then he wanted it back so i was stuck and needed a NOCD or something, I havent played HL2 in ages im only up to Ravenholm as i only played it the Tuesday it came out.

wow...that really does suck if u need the CD/DVD in the drive to play MP.. :(
i really hope Valve do address this..

Argh! I'm going crazy here... Just got my copy of the game today (live in Sweden, so it's on DVD, and I don't have a DVD-drive), managed to install it by sharing a friends DVD-drive over the network, but when I want to register my CD-key with steam it tells me to insert my CD/DVD... All I can hope for now is that my friend will agree to move his computer to my room for a short while, so that I can connect his DVD to my comp and get the key registred and the game activated... A *lot* of work just to get to play, especially when compared to a steam install that would allow me to play without ever getting close to a disc at all... Not fair.

Retail sucks a lot compared to buying through steam, I hope Valve decides to get rid of the retail CD/DVD requirement really soon...

Back