I want to upgrade tomorrow, have a few questions

iconic-

Reaction score
okayokay,

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what exactly I need AND can do (physically, I have a ****ty case/manufactured computer) so that tomorrow (black friday) I'll be able to at least somewhat upgrade when I go out to best buy, comp usa, etc.

alright, well just to start off with, I bought a DELL when I went to college, here are the main specs:

Pentium 4 2.8 HT
Intel Canterwood i875p/e7210
Socket 478 ( )
ati 9800pro 128 AGP
2, 512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (space for another gig)
****TY DELL CASE (I want to upgrade my PSU [I have no idea on the wattage, any suggestions for figuring it out] but I doubt I can find one that will mount to my case properly?)

So I figure tomorrow I would like to take care of TWO of the FOLLOWING three things if possible-

GFX Card (Looking at either an ati x850xt, bfg 7800GS- although I see ALOT of deals for 1600's, and 7600's)
RAM (Should I just get more of the same 2700ddr sdram? Is that my only option?)
POWER SUPPLY (I really think I need to upgrade this, specially if I get a new card... I already have two hard drives running off it... plus the PSU came from dell =x)

I hear Dells are an absolute bitch to upgrade. So the first thing I'd do is get a new case.

Then go for a PSU, preferably one that's at least 450W with two +12V rails if you plan on keeping it for any reasonable amount of time.

Then get your other upgrades.

But to be honest, if I were you, I'd just save up more of my money, and then go buy a Core 2 Duo setup, rather than sticking with a crummy P4 and a low-end videocard.

But to be honest, if I were you, I'd just save up more of my money, and then go buy a Core 2 Duo setup, rather than sticking with a crummy P4 and a low-end videocard.

Aye... Core 2 Duos are completely awesome

Aye... Core 2 Duos are completely awesome
If I had waited an extra week, my computer would have the EXACT same specs as you. Now I'm stuck with an Athlon 64x2 4600+.

Back