I'm getting a little worried... -Part 2-

Narcolepsy

Reaction score
I have this strange complex: I like to see what others are thinking about the things that I enjoy. When I get a new CD, I immediately check review sites for other opinions. When I finish a book, I seek out interpretations on the internet.

So it only follows that I would like to see what others think about Half-Life 2, outside of halflife2.net. So first I check the Gamespot reviews, and they are for the most part incredibly positive. Then I check Amazon.com, thinking that some of the more mainstream gamers might sound off there.

And lo and behold, Half-Life 2 is getting bashed into oblivion at Amazon.com. For every 5 star, "Amazing Game" review, there are countless others that look a little like this: "OMG STEAM SUCKS!" and "I guess it would be good if it worked". Even worse, reviews that liked the game often resemble the confused unintelligible anti-Halo rants at this board. (By the way, one of my pet peeves is people reviewing games before they have gotten it to work.) So Half-Life 2, at least one of the best fps's of all time (IMO, the best) has a 3.5 star average, and it's quickly sinking.

And here's the other part of my complex: I like to see talent rewarded. That's why I get angry when it's not. Apparently sales in the UK are plummeting, people are returning their copies, etc. Perhaps in the quest to stop anti-piracy, Valve has lost more than it has gained.

(I realize you might be wanting to respond, "Who cares?" But this does matter. The more people that buy the game, the more extra content we're likely to get, the more word of mouth, the more people filling up online servers, etc. Most of all, I want Valve to be rewarded for their outstanding work.)

Reader Reviews

sob sob whine whine
i guess you can't handle the fact that people have different opinions than you

You must realize 82% of the population is stupid. They don't think for themselves and follow the majority which in this case is CS kiddies who are butthurt they can't cheat as easily. The smarter more mature people are playing the game and don't have time for posting the OMG 1337!!!111 teh onezzz posts.

Don't believe the hype. I have seen many movies that were rated very poorly which I enjoyed and vice versa. Find your own taste and enjoy :)

nagual678 said:
sob sob whine whine

Case in point... look at this guy.

I don't think anyone takes those amazon reader reviews very seriously. :)

Edge said:
You must realize 82% of the population is stupid. They don't think for themselves and follow the majority which in this case is CS kiddies who are butthurt they can't cheat as easily. The smarter more mature people are playing the game and don't have time for posting the OMG 1337!!!111 teh onezzz posts.

Don't believe the hype. I have seen many movies that were rated very poorly which I enjoyed and vice versa. Find your own taste and enjoy :)

ok.
1) don't follow the majority ? what was the majority of the review's notations ? well above 9/10 if i remember well ? so it would seem that people who give bad notations are the very ones who don't "believe the hype"
2) people who didn't enjoy HL2 are "CS kiddies who are butthurt they can't cheat as easily" ? wth ?

your post is so much full of irony it's almost too good.
reread what you posted, it's hilarious

nagual678 said:
sob sob whine whine
Whoa. Notice how I put a disclaimer avoiding responses like this by justifying my post with real, substantial reasons for being worried?

KagePrototype said:
I don't think anyone takes those amazon reader reviews very seriously. :)
You'd be surprised. Such widespread hate can have an effect.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to do two posts in a row.

Narcolepsy said:
Whoa. Notice how I put a disclaimer avoiding responses like this by justifying my post with real, substantial reasons for being worried?
the only "reason" for you to be worried is that people have different opinions than yours. and it's neither "real" or "substantial". hl2 being a good game and sometimes deserving better than what he is given to is a fact, but complaining because people think differently is too much.

Narcolepsy, i am exactly like you. expecially when a game that is just as good as HL2 (mabye worse) gets so much more hype.
*coughhalo2cough* :)

But Amazon reviewers are always right! Remember the biozeminades in HL2? They were indeed very hard!

Edge said:
You must realize 82% of the population is stupid.
i believe it's Descartes that said something along the lines of :
"intelligence is the thing bestly distributed amongst mankind : one always thinks he's got enough"

Why care what other people think. If you enjoy it fine, but don't base your opinion on others. You can't agree with everyone.

As long as we have a big enough player base to support mods in the future...

If not...then it's going to suck badly. IF the massive amount of half-life 2 flaming is actually an indication that the majority hate the game the future of mods is not promising as people abandon steam, valve and anything to do with half-life 2.

Why care what other people think. If you enjoy it fine, but don't base your opinion on others. You can't agree with everyone.
But this is what I mean:
Mr-Fusion said:
As long as we have a big enough player base to support mods in the future...

If not...then it's going to suck badly. IF the massive amount of half-life 2 flaming is actually an indication that the majority hate the game the future of mods is not promising as people abandon steam, valve and anything to do with half-life 2.
Exactly! At least you get the point at hand.

The reason so many people don't like HL2 is not because they don't like HL2, it's because they don't like Steam. I for one love HL2 and I have tried to get people to buy it because I think it is so great. But the moment I tell them they need Steam, then explain what it is, they say they will not even bother with it because it is too much of a hassle.

It is true that in the process of trying to stop piracy Valve will have lower sales. I am not saying that piracy is good, and I am not saying that Valve should not try to stop it, but it is a fact that Valve has hurt themselves with Steam. Hopefully they have learned their lesson and other companies as well.

reznod said:
The reason so many people don't like HL2 is not because they don't like HL2, it's because they don't like Steam. I for one love HL2 and I have tried to get people to buy it because I think it is so great. But the moment I tell them they need Steam, then explain what it is, they say they will not even bother with it because it is too much of a hassle.

It is true that in the process of trying to stop piracy Valve will have lower sales. I am not saying that piracy is good, and I am not saying that Valve should not try to stop it, but it is a fact that Valve has hurt themselves with Steam. Hopefully they have learned their lesson and other companies as well.
One thing I don't understand is why so many people think it's such a hassle. When I got home, I entered in my CD Key, grabbed a coke, looked at the box, listened to a few songs on my playlist, and it was ready to play. True, on the first day, there were some troubles for some, but I'm sure all is well by now.

I say, from an unbiased point of view, the game was amazingly over hyped, with several release dates, the source code theft etc etc. The game had to live upto a lot! And for me, it didn't quite push my buttons! Its a good game, I love to mess with it. But one thing this game has is longevity! I mean, a year before the game was even due to be finished there was screenshots of people modelling new things for mods. And I can't wait to see some of 'em the game doesn't take long, but the mods will give it plenty of life!

dont worry, i visit halflife2files.com all the time and there is a poll on the main page rating half life and the people who give it 10/10 goes up in the thousands like every day. there are plenty of people who love the game, **** the others, let them whine

err... yeah, about that, that's because it's HALF LIFE 2 FILES.COM. What do you expect from a website dedicated to HL2? But that's beside the point. Who cares what others think? I love it, all my friends love it, and if someone doesn't... well, it's their loss. Besides, I'm sure Valve will improve upon the system (be it by getting rid of Steam or by upgrading it somehow) by the time HL3 comes out.

note: returned copies are still money for VALVe, just loss for the store

Back