im getting a new pc finally!!

GreasedNeut

Reaction score
Well, I have just decided to purchase a new rig replacing my old 2.2ghz P4, 256mb ram!

Athlon 64 3500+
Asus A8VPRO (will socket 939 eventually support pcixpress?)
1GB Corsair XMS DDR400
160GB Seagate SATA
Radeon X800XT (undecided board partner...need input, when can i pre order?)
Cooler Master Wave Master Case
Antec True 550 Watt PSU
Dell 2001XP (going to buy soon...are there better lcd's out there for $900?
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Plextor DVDROM/CDRW

Lookin nice. I'm saving my money up for a computer right now but I'll probably buy it around December.

Yeah I plan to buy a new rig too. I figure I will need around $5000-6000. I am probably going to go Alienware and get a 30" LCD monitor too. I want to go all out though it is going to be several months before I have the money.

why the hell would you buy an alienware?

you can build 3 top of the line comps for 6 grand.....or two complete systems with all the bells and whistles.....

Maybe for the ALX system...

Very powerful indeed.

30" LCD...oookkk...i could build the equivalent no-stupid-custom-alienware-useless-crap of alienware's fastest system by myself for half the cost of a 30" LCD

...well...of course i wouldn't be able to get one of their dual video card thingies...meh

and lmao...it's cheaper to get an x800 with your alienware than it is to get a FX 5950...hahahah.

Nice system. Lot of money but it will last for a while.
PCI Express boards will be out for A64 sometime in the summer. Not sure when.
If you did get a PCI Express board then an AGP video card won't work in that slot as you would need a PCI Express video card! Imagine that. ;)
Enjoy.

Alienware.
Their dual video card software puts additional load on the CPU which will actually give you a lower score if the game is CPU dependant. :O
1 Video Card is enough for me. Money in my pocket.

im waiting till end of summer to get a PCI-express board and card. cant wait

if you have money to blow and your going to buy an alienware computer I'd wait and get the dual graphic card one.

but you could probably build 3 top of the line computers for that price

You will not need a 64bit CPU today (most people don't anyway) although the CPUs, OS, driver platform needs to be established today. Otherwise when users start to hit the 32bit brickwall in a couple of years there will be no 64bit system to switch to.

If you buy new hardware in a couple of years or play games on the new Longhorn OS then you will need a 64bit CPU. Currently 4gb's of virtual addressing space and windows already takes up 2gb's of that. 2gb's remaing and today's highend games can use up to 1gb. Tomorrows games and OS's will use more. We need more than 4gb's of virtual addressing space. It isn't about Physical RAM in your system but the amount of Data that your PC can remember the location for. Whether it is Video Card memory, AGP Apeture, Physical RAM, or the remaining virtual memory on your harddrive that is switched out into Physical RAM when needed.

What people like about the 64bit CPUs currently (Athlon 64) is that they are top performers in todays 32bit Applications across the board. 64bit ready for tomorrows OS/Applications. It's a nice idea to have instant performance increase in some applications and a 64bit platform by just installing Windows XP 64bit Edition later this year (or wait for Longhorn). It is also better option for many users who may consider Intel Pentium 4 Prescott (32bit CPU) depending on their use.

chu said:
Yeah I plan to buy a new rig too. I figure I will need around $5000-6000. I am probably going to go Alienware and get a 30" LCD monitor too. I want to go all out though it is going to be several months before I have the money.

30" LCD? LCD monitors are rubbish at the moment. You can get a better CRT monitor for less than half the price thats going to be. Plus, if your going to be playing games..LCD is the worst choice. Even a 19" LCD is too big :p

I know I could build a couple of 'puters for the price I am willing to pay. But with building I always have the "what if?" I am not experienced at building a PC, I know I could though.

I am not afraid to spend a little money for finer things. This is the first time in a long time that I can actually afford to do it.

Oh and what is wrong with LCDs? I had a 19" crt and it was fricken huge. Now I have a 17" LCD and it takes up about 1/5 the space the crt did. The 30" is really just a fantasy right now. When the time comes I may or may not get it.

does anyone REALLY need a 64 bit proccesor right now?
Why does everyone as that? When i told my friend i was getting an A64 he said there is no point. Well the fact is you dont get it because its 64 bit you get it because its one of the fastest out there right now. The 64 bit is just away to future proof yourself.

noone needs a 64 bit processor. but they are cheaper and faster than pentium so why not.

oh and i highly recommend noone get a 30" lcd yet. too big and high MS.

and you can get an alienware if you really want to . but i dont really suggest it. your gonna be throwing alot of money away for no reason (anywere from 1-3k)

I think I might go for the FX-53, do you think its worth it?

With my specs, what res/aa and af setting do you think I will be able to run HL2 @???

Lastly, can someone please telll me if PCI-Xpress will eventually be availible for socket 939 motherboards?

chu said:
I know I could build a couple of 'puters for the price I am willing to pay. But with building I always have the "what if?" I am not experienced at building a PC, I know I could though.

I am not afraid to spend a little money for finer things. This is the first time in a long time that I can actually afford to do it.

Oh and what is wrong with LCDs? I had a 19" crt and it was fricken huge. Now I have a 17" LCD and it takes up about 1/5 the space the crt did. The 30" is really just a fantasy right now. When the time comes I may or may not get it.

CRTs are better than LCDs gaming-wise at the moment.

Tinneth said:
CRTs are better than LCDs gaming-wise at the moment.
yes except some lcd's can compare to crt monitors, right now I have a sony 21" crt monitor, 19.8" viewable, I love it except its too friggin huge.

so your gonna pay 2x the price just cause its thin? kinda lame imo.

Back