I'm going to buy a new rig, is this one good for it's price?

Sorze

Reaction score
I'm going to be buying this from a guy I know who works with this sort of stuff.

ASUS S939 NFORCE4 SLI, DDR, PCI EXP, A8N-SLI DELUXE

AMD 64 3500+

1GB DDR400 CL2.5 (2x512MB)

Seagate BARRACUDA 7200.8 250GB SERIAL ATA/150

DVD+/-RW NEC ND3520 Dual 16x/8x

Floppy (might come in handy... Yeah right)

Case AOpen QF50A (nothing fancy, don't care)

All of the above (built too) I'll get for about 1143 US dollars.

MSI RX850XT 256MB TV-OUT DVI PCIe

And the graphics card will cost about 516 US dollars.

I'll probably get a Samsung 959F 19" for 348 US dollars.

The prices aren't entirely accurate, from the currency conversion (originally swedish kronor, I think one USD is about 7 SEK now), but it should be good enough.

so the whole deal (as of now, no OS or mouse & keyboard, I have/can get that myself) for about 2000 US dollars (14025 SEK).

What do you think about the deal?

Sounds nice to me, SLI Nforce 4, Athlon 64 3500+ (make sure it's the 90nm Winchester core they're cooler and very nice overclockers, but even if u don't wann OC it's better cause it runs much cooler) and the RAM looks nice but who's the manufacturer? HDD looks good, video card best you can get at the moment.

bosox188 said:
Sounds nice to me, SLI Nforce 4, Athlon 64 3500+ (make sure it's the 90nm Winchester core they're cooler and very nice overclockers, but even if u don't wann OC it's better cause it runs much cooler) and the RAM looks nice but who's the manufacturer? HDD looks good, video card best you can get at the moment.

Allright, these are the exact specs I got from the guy I'm buying from (I told him about what sort of specs I wanted and it was up to him to give me a suggestion for a deal), so I'm not sure about the manufacturers on the ram and the Winchester core...
Oh, and I'm not big on overclocking either...

Thanks for your reply though, I will probably get this deal, just wanted you to point out any mistakes I might be making! :) thanks!

The graphics card you are ordering is a good one, but don't you think it would be better to get a SLi gfx card instead. You could get a 6800GT now and then another one in teh future when you want. 2 x 6800GT's is better than 1 x850XT (i think, need to check on that) and also it would be initially cheaper and also it does leave you open for upgrade in the future.

Your rig looks very good. Pretty good for 1000$ too. If you ever wanted to save some cash, get the nForce 4 Ultra (1 PCI Express slot instead of 2) and check out ATI's X800XL. It's almost the performance of the X800XT but sells for only 299$ at places like Compusa.

SLI is a good way to spend money but it isn't a very good value. ;) 2x6800GT's does not even come close to double performance. You can't exactly wait to get the second card either because they need to be the exact same.
About SLI
SLI = *
Game that does not support SLI
Game which supports SLI

I posted in your other thread but here is the link to download. Read the README !

http://webstorage.btinet.net/get_file.php?fid=346989&fn=Comparison.zip/Comparison.zip

I can get splinter cell comparison shots or the uncompressed but large files that I used for the comparison (1600X1200)

Also I might add that that is a great PC ! You should be happy just check the screenshots before deciding on the graphics card! Especially with a SLI motherboard.

From looking at those benchmark results Asus posted, all I can say is ignore what I said, Asus's advice is the advice to follow! Should really looking into stuff before I post info about it..

DrDevin said:
Again sorry for the double post but..........

Splinter Cell shots:

http://webstorage.btinet.net/get_file.php?fid=346990&fn=Splinter Cell Comparison.zip/Splinter Cell Comparison.zip

Dammit, none of those webstorage links work for me (so I haven't read the readme)! it wants me to login!! :(
Could you please just attach splinter cell images?

And also, can't x800 do HDR ?? That's unexpected!

The X800 can do HDR fine. Farcry choose to use a certain proccess though that is only supported by Nvidia.
IMO it doesn't look at good as Valve's attempt with regular DX9. Way too exagerated and bloomed. But it fits farcry pretty well I guess.

Make F*CKING sure you get a decent power supply! Else I'll be forced to laugh when it all blows up in your face!

Sorry rush job last night and I know they dont work now. Oh well here are the pictures for both games.

Pictures of far cry comparing HDR (high dynamic range lighting) to non HDR.
Only the Geforce 6 series (6600 - 6800) supports this feature in most new games because of the implimintaion and use of PS 3.0

Pictures with A in the name are with HDR
Pictures with B are without HDR

HDR ajusts tries to imitate the human eye by copying your eyes exposure.
As you look at light sources the game makes things bright and then less bright as your virtual "eye" ajusts.
If you then look at a dark place your "eyes" will again have to adjust and the picture will again copy a real eye and everything will not look normal because your eye has to focus.
The amount of HDR can be ajusted and like I said above the whole game is not super bright but certain things are or in certain instances things are bright.
Also normal colours are more vibrant than usual. Just take a look at the screenshots and blues and greens of the grass and water.
Finally pictures 4 are of:

A - first looking at the outside after being in the dark.
B - eyes have adjusted so things look normal
C - no HDR

Far Cry

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

3a.jpg

3b.jpg

4a.jpg

4b.jpg

4c.jpg

5a.jpg

5b.jpg

6a.jpg

6b.jpg

Again pictures with "A" in the name are with HDR and "B" are without HDR.
This game looks more "wet" when HDR is enabled.
Also lights look a lot more bright. Look at picture 5a compared to 5b

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

SC1a.jpg

SC1b.jpg

SC2a.jpg

SC2b.jpg

SC3a.jpg

SC3b.jpg

SC4a.jpg

SC4b.jpg

SC5a.jpg

SC5b.jpg

I hope that works or helps you!

Visually, a case might be of no importance. But internally you should get a good one, as you want it to be durable, easy to maintain, easy to upgrade, easy to install, and friendly with airflow.

*my post feels intimidated by the other huge threads, so it must use this fail safe to be read*

ktnx.

Thanks alot for contributing guys!

While I can't say the difference is major in Splinter Cell (I do see it though!), it's a little bit of a bigger deal in Far Cry.

While I do know that the ATI cards can do HDR as well, they can't if the games are using shader 3.0, which only the nvidia cards support.
I do kind of feel that I would rather trade a few fps (as long as it's nothing major) for more features.

The guy I'm buying from did offer me a choice between a couple of cards, and I'm probably leaning towards the 6800gt right now, even though the x850xt was a little bit cheaper.

It just seems a hard choice, don't know what to do or who to ask!! I don't really have any idea how many fps I might be trading for a few more or less worthwhile features...

I myself would get a 6800GT, but keep in mind the NEXT GEN CARDS ARE BEING ANNOUNCED IN MAY, probably to be rolled into production soon after.

`unreal said:
I myself would get a 6800GT, but keep in mind the NEXT GEN CARDS ARE BEING ANNOUNCED IN MAY, probably to be rolled into production soon after.

Yeah well, there will always be something new around the corner... :dozey:

I'm buying a new comp now, and I think this will do nicely! :)
As of right now, I'll get a 6800GT, and if anyone thinks I'm sacrificing way too much performance (remember we're talking x850xt, not x800, I don't know the difference) for features that may not matter much, please tell me! :)

Sorze said:
Yeah well, there will always be something new around the corner... :dozey:

6800GT is a logical purchase, and I am just making you aware of the technologies around the corner. However, keep in mind we are nearly 'at the corner', so to speak.

`unreal said:
6800GT is a logical purchase, and I am just making you aware of the technologies around the corner. However, keep in mind we are nearly 'at the corner', so to speak.

Allright, thanks. But I'm buying now, so that won't be an option, and I do kind of like the one-step-below-best level, as that's alot of bang for my buck.

`unreal said:
People still run on 5900XT's, 9600XT's, & FX5200's, the next-gen cards aren't as important to get as you may think.

I know that exactly - I have a 9800 Pro, which is from that generation, and I'm not planning to upgrade for a short while yet.

But can't you see the point I am making? This person has a fairly large budget to build a brand new computer, so perhaps he would like to wait until the next gen cards come out which is pretty soon. Save the 'Ah man, ffs' feeling once they come out, and the card he just bought instantly becomes half price.

Happened with a mate of mine, buying the FX 5950 Ultra for nearly £400, and 2 months later the 6800 Ultra got released for the same price.

Back