I'm in the middle of building..

staddydaddy

Reaction score
My new computer. I stripped everything out of the old computer case (literally everything, even PSU). I go to check to see if my new mobo fits, and it does. But then I go to put on that little metal plate thing in the case. It's the part where it covers the spaces where the ports in the back arent. Well, it's a little to wide and not long enough to fit in my case (my old IBM computer Intellistation M-Pro. Do they make these pannels in any different dimensions? Anyone encounter this problem before, what did you do? TIA

Your new mobo should come with an I/O sheild that fits. Just take out the old one and pop the new one in.

Sorry guess my post was crappy :eek:. It did come with a new one. I popped out the old one but the new I/O sheild (I didn't know what they were called) doesn't fit in my case. That's what I ment when I said it was a bit to wide and to short. Any ideas on what do to now?

If the case is ATX, and the mobo is ATX it fits. It is a bit hard to get it in. Smash it in with the rear end of your screwdriver.

I know my mobo is ATX, How do I know if my case is ATX? The old IO shield that I popped out of the case isn't the same dimensions as the new one. That leads me to bleive that my case isn't ATX, but I don't know what ATX is :).

Also all but one of the screw holes on my mobo line up with the screw holes on the case, Don't know if that helps determine wether or not my case is ATX or not. I just need to know how to determine if it is or not.

Originally posted by staddydaddy
Also all but one of the screw holes on my mobo line up with the screw holes on the case, Don't know if that helps determine wether or not my case is ATX or not. I just need to know how to determine if it is or not.

if the io shield is located in the same spot then it is an atx case, but most (all) of the atx cases should have identical cutouts for the io shield.

How far is it out of line? When you screw most of them down, it should line up.

I got it to work but i hit another obstiqual (I suck at spelling) with my power supply lol

Whats wrong? If your wondering how to install, unscrew the shield on the back and insert the PSU there.

No, My problem is that I think I'm short on power. Currently I have a 320w PSU and everything fits fine with my new gear. But, I went to a site that had a lil calculator thing that adds up all your computer components and then tells you want wattage of a PSU you need. It said I needed a 360-400 PSU. Now, where I run into a problem is that my current PSU attaches to my case in a wierd way. The top of the PSU has these lil hooks that slide into the top of the case. So the PSU sorta just hangs there (it has a little tab/fin on the side and bottom to some what support it). I just got back from fry's (comp store) and there are no PSU that have that kind of way of attaching to the case. I asked a guy who worked there and he said that IBM has wierd ways of attaching the PSU to cases and that I might have to talk to them about getting a new PSU. What do yall think?

Well let me explain some more. I went to this site to calculate what PSU I needed http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ . I selected my set up and it reccomneded a 353 watt PSU. But when I added all my component's wattages up, I got a total of 282watts. I imagine that the calculator adds a power buffer just as a saftey. I currently have a 330 PSU so I think I'll be ok. Do you guys disagree or agree?

I'm not going to buy a new case unless I absolutley HAVE TO. I just looked at the PSU connections and there are also 4 screws in the back. Thanks guys for helping me out so much on this.

What are your specs? If you experience instability or it doesnt boot, then obviously that means your going to need a new PS.

P4 2.8ghz 800FSB
2 sticks of 512mb DDR400
2 hard drives
1 cd rom drive
3 fans
floppy
9800 pro 256mb
eventually a sound card
cpu fan
mouse keyboard

I would reccommend 400W or more for that, but try it out and see what happens.

well the PSU calculator recommended a 350 under my settings

Am I risking melting/permenently distroying anything by doing this?

400 is overkill
from my handy power site:
Your Recommended Minimum Power Supply is 346 Watts!!

now that is is everything was using 100% power which is bever.

get a decent 350w

EDIT: didnt read whole thing:
using a 320 is pretty safe. you may get a blue screen once in a while

Originally posted by Steven Q Urkle
using a 320 is pretty safe. you may get a blue screen once in a while

In my first mension of my PSU wattage, I was wrong. In the second one I said that I had a 330w . I'll have a 50w buffer between the minimum I need (280w) and the max my PSU can supply. I don't think having a 70w buffer would be too important, but I don't know much ;)

I got everything up and running guys. I'm posting from the new computer! Thanks guys!

Uh oh, I`m gonna be building a system with a p4 2.8GHz 800FSB, 2 512mb ddr400, a radeon 9800 pro, 3 hard drives and all in a Xaser III case that has 7 case fans!!! doesnt look good, its gonna be running on a 300W PSU....

Back