I'm running out of ideas.

Sanius

Reaction score
Geforce 6800 standard
512 mb pc2700 ram
amd athlon xp 2500+
drivers 67.66

I tried reformatting, defraging, scanning for viruses, adware, spyware, tried xfx tech support (no help, not a surprise). tried to overclock (doesn't work right).

what do I do? half-life 2 plays badly with high quality settings, 4x af, and 1024x768. i'm talking, 30 fps and less. with stuttering. I have heapsize on 512..I was told that my cpu is a bottleneck..i'm not doubting this, but I can't afford a new cpu/motherboard until next year, or just not very soon. I don't have a job, so thats up to my parents to decide when I can upgrade.

I've had this videocard and hl2 since christmas, and I still can't figure out what I have to do to get it to work properly. i'm running out of ideas and it's driving me crazy. am I just supposed to shell out $300 I don't have?

No shit it does. My specs are the same as yours except I have a 6600GT which is almost the same as the regular 6800. If I run it with AA 4x it will lag like hell too. Have AA at 2x the most.

i say cpu is the bottleneck and turning off 4xaf would improve preformance alittle

you guys don't know what you are talking about. I already tried that.

well u never said u tried that and we have been telling u its the cpu its bottlenecking the full potential of the 6800

Yeah, I have a 2400+ and a 600gt with some 512mb PC3200 RAM, and I only get good settings with Counter Strike (Everything high, 2x AA, 4x AF and running it in the highest 16:9 resolution). But in HL2 it only goes up to medium with some so-so frames on high but mostly stutter.

this may sound weird to you, but try turning down your heapsize and see if anything changes.

/longshot

I was going to help but since you have been a dick to the others, I won't. GG.

Sanius said:
what a surprise, no one is any help to me.
thats a very optimistic attitude to have, but il try
my rig
P4e 2.8
1024MB DDR400 (but as i played HL2 i always had 512, the upgrade is very recent)
Radeon 9800 Pro Atlantis (256bit)

i found that AA and AF are the cause of major stuttering

i keep AA right off, and filtering to trillinear, no complaints

ur processor is not bottlenecking ur gameplay, but only your graphics card on high settings

set the heapsize to about half your RAM
-heapsize 256000

oh i just noticed ur heapsize is 100% your RAM, that is most likely another influence on bad performance. windows needs about 32 or 64 megs to function in the background.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download344.html
this program is worth having, it frees up clogged RAM can help for any game.

You guys are overlooking the obvious. You need another 512MB that will boost your performance 2 or 3x. Im surprized your game will load with -heapsize 512000. I have a 1024MB and I haven't been able to get the game to load anything over like 524000. It should be set to half your System RAM.

Sanius said:
Geforce 6800 standard
512 mb pc2700 ram
amd athlon xp 2500+
drivers 67.66

I tried reformatting, defraging, scanning for viruses, adware, spyware, tried xfx tech support (no help, not a surprise). tried to overclock (doesn't work right).

what do I do? half-life 2 plays badly with high quality settings, 4x af, and 1024x768. i'm talking, 30 fps and less. with stuttering. I have heapsize on 512..I was told that my cpu is a bottleneck..i'm not doubting this, but I can't afford a new cpu/motherboard until next year, or just not very soon. I don't have a job, so thats up to my parents to decide when I can upgrade.

I've had this videocard and hl2 since christmas, and I still can't figure out what I have to do to get it to work properly. i'm running out of ideas and it's driving me crazy. am I just supposed to shell out $300 I don't have?

Circuit City and Office Max have been having half price sale (rebate tho) on ram $60 for 512MB they have a few kinds.

Anti-Aliasing? LOL thats a luxury dude. turn it off. It is for TOP of the line systems. Real time anti-aliasing absolutely requires alot of damn processing. Good luck on upgrade

Setting up your game

VirusType2 said:
Circuit City and Office Max have been having half price sale (rebate tho) on ram $60 for 512MB they have a few kinds.

Anti-Aliasing? LOL thats a luxury dude. turn it off. It is for TOP of the line systems. Real time anti-aliasing absolutely requires alot of damn processing. Good luck on upgrade

One more thing.
Set it to Bi-Linear Filter, it is recommended if you are having performance problems, Tri-Linear Filter is better but may slow your framerate some. I don't know anything about AF but it probably slows your framerate too much.

Also, disregard the little asteriscs (your system recommended settings) walking around you may have good framerate, but once you get in a firefight, your frame rate will suffer.

Try 800x600 with textures on high or medium, and everything else turned off or on low. It should really run good then.

Game play > graphics

AA off
AF billinear
high models
high textures
1024x768 res
water in middle level
shadows high
-heapsize 256000

you will be fine

if you can, try upgrading to DDR400 thats PC3200
upgrade to a gig and run in dual channel, of course if ur mobo supports it

VirusType2 said:
I have a 1024MB and I haven't been able to get the game to load anything over like 524000. It should be set to half your System RAM.
ive read in places 512mb is the max heapsize, and cant cope with any more. but do you really need it?

VirusType2 said:
You guys are overlooking the obvious. You need another 512MB that will boost your performance 2 or 3x. Im surprized your game will load with -heapsize 512000. I have a 1024MB and I haven't been able to get the game to load anything over like 524000. It should be set to half your System RAM.
B\s. I get 75-85 FPS in Half Life 2\CounterStrike Source with 512mb RAM.

Is Vsync on?

Back