I'm sure you've these topics before, but my FPS sucks.

A

AntiPastry

First of all, system specs.
Asus p4p800s
1024 mb pc3200 ram
ATI x800 XT AIW
Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz fsb (I think Northwood, overclocked to 3125 mhz.)

Motherboard monitor doesn't indicate that my cpu is running much hotter than 50 degrees Celsius. Note that motherboard monitor is not on while I'm playing CSS. Catalyst 5.7 drivers are installed, and my DirectX is 9.0c. My harddrive was recently defragmented and the windows defrag says that I do not need to defragment.

The fps that I get is definitely worse than it should be, or so I hear. Admittedly, my fps is fine on maps with not a lot of people, and is from 50-110 or so on a map like cs_office or de_dust with less than 8 people. However, I was just recently playing cs_assault and was sick of having as low as 25 or so fps on a server with 14 or so people in it. I already have a lot of optimizations on, such as corpse ragdolls, bumpmapping, shadows, and specular turned off, as well as worse lighting effects. CSS is running at 1280x1024. I was running all of the settings in the options menu at low except for textures, which was on high. Inside of the base in cs_assault I had around 80-25 fps, mostly about 30-50 fps. The only spot I had 80 fps was in the ramped stairway leading from the bottom level to the top, and maybe the hostage room. Frankly, 30-50 fps isn't very desirable for me as I'm ranked among the top 10 in this server, and such low fps makes me play worse.

I tried turned my texture settings to low, but still had low fps.

I'm thinking that I'm CPU limited, but I'm not really so sure that it would really limit my fps this badly. Another possibility might be that my onboard sound is eating cpu cycles, or that I should flash my BIOS to the latest version.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a 6800GT, and was getting somewhat irritated with my sluggish fps. (recently upgraded from a Ti4600)

Today, I downloaded Driver Cleaner Pro from http://guru3d.com

Followed the readme, re-installed new nvidia drivers and saw a signifigant improvement. I'm going to do this for ever new driver release.

I know you have ATi, but this program will still work, and is worth a shot if you haven't formatted after installing your new card.

Back