"In-Home Streaming" Menu Found In Steam Beta Update

Pikminiman

Assistant Writer
Reaction score
Earlier today, SteamDB uncovered an upcoming new Steam feature called "In-Home Streaming" in the most recent Steam Beta client update. The feature is not yet public, but the feature can be found and accessed in the update files.

2013-10-14_22-53-01_2247622959-png.24486

In the screenshot above, the new feature is shown in Big Picture Mode, and reveals a few options that users will have available to them when they stream games on a local network, such as the ability limit bandwidth usage, limit framerate, disable hardware acceleration, and pick from devices on the local network. It also shows that, for in-home streaming to work, Steam users will be required to log into their account on multiple devices at once, which is not currently allowed on Steam.

The newly-unearthed In-Home Streaming feature is not a surprise, given its previous confirmation as part of Valve’s recently-revealed "Steam Machines" project. And as usual, we’ll be sure to keep you up-to-date as we learn more about Steam’s upcoming streaming functionality.

Attachments

• 2013-10-14_22-53-01_2247622959.png
    2013-10-14_22-53-01_2247622959.png
    328.2 KB · Views: 16,569
Not entirely related to this, but has it been confirmed if SteamOS/Steam will support video streaming?

No not heard about that, but they need to make it happen.

Best part of this is being able to have more than one computer logged in at once, even it if only works on a local network that's still great.

I think they mean streaming a film that's stored on your laptop or desktop to the steambox in the living room, similar to the game streaming. Obvious workaround if you can't is to add XBMC as a non-Steam game on the computer you want to stream from. XBMC already works perfectly with both Steam and controllers.

I think they mean streaming a film that's stored on your laptop or desktop to the steambox in the living room, similar to the game streaming. Obvious workaround if you can't is to add XBMC as a non-Steam game on the computer you want to stream from. XBMC already works perfectly with both Steam and controllers.

If in-home streaming works with games, it'll more than likely work with films, TV, etc.

If in-home streaming works with games, it'll more than likely work with films, TV, etc.
Thats what I figure too, but I didn't know if it was confirmed or not. I've already got a setup with Plex and the PS3, but it'd be a lot nicer to have SteamOS do it all.

Back