Infantry Soldier

IchI

Reaction score
Infantry Solider

Hello, I know its kinda in the early stages. But I thought I would post some shots of a Infantry Solider I am working on. At the moment its about 700/500 Triangles and I kinda just want to get feedback on what I have made so far. Becuase this is only my second character model I need to make sure I am doing things correct with smooth groups etc... Anyway here it is:

Light_Infantry_Beta1.jpg

Light_Infantry_Beta2.jpg

Tell me what you like about it and dislike about it. Then I will think about changing it to see how well other peopels ideas work. I will post a wireframe later on when I have some time. C&C please.

I cant wait to see the final model Ichi... been waiting long time to see a character model from you :)

looks nice, but you're doing the easy part... the hard part is the body :p

nice start

I made the basic arm structure but its no way complete yet. They need to be made wider at some parts and be less straight and a bit more random. I added some creases to the arms to see what I could do with them but the render has a low ambient because of the skylight so its hard to see. But you can kinda see them. Anyway this is another render. Again add more C&C if you can please.

Light_Infantry_Beta3.jpg

hello again. I just got home and have been working on it for a bit now. Here is the latest render:

Light_Infantry_Beta5.jpg

Atm its clocked at 2000 triangles. Its a bit higher than I wanted. but I can see quiet a lot of places where I can gain back Triangles. I am aiming for:

1: 5000 Triangles
2. 3000 Triangles
3. 500 Triangles

(LOD System)

Ichi, that looks real nice so far :p
Keep at it - if it continues like this, the finished article will look pretty kewl.

ahhh bloody hell Ichi, stop showin off :p. its amazing, although at the moment, it looks like that guys gonna have no neck :dozey:

ye I know. I placed the helmet in some random place thats on the image plane. But the image plane isn't the best in the world. Anyway I just formated and got everything installed again and working on the model now. I might see if I can get some new screen shots up tonight.

IchI, I just checked out the Corporate Anarchy site - looks pretty good! Any targeted release dates yet? :p

hehehe, I think are mod will take a lot longer than normal mods. Mainly because its so big. Its not very ambitious in capabilitys of the engine. But theya re so many little things that make the game its self. I can't say anything really but when the SDK releases we will start propurly working. Atm its just getting little things ready slowly and seeing how all are members work together and to see what actual capabilitys we have. I am modelling the player model to practice modelling player models making sure my strucutre and skill is correct. I am going to model this as if I was modelling it for a game. Meaning I will be modelling all 3 LOD systsmes etc... Its just basic practice.

I have some new renders and a mod concept I am starting my self (still working for corporate Anarchy) I will release it when its finished but its kinda like chess/blockbuster/war heheh thats all I can really say atm. The people I have told about like it so... ye should be good.

Anyway as you can see I am bored at school as ususal. Expect some new renders when I get home.

Lookin' good, IchI. Hands need a lil more work, though :) (idea: could the soldier be wearing gloves, like in OPFOR?).
Other than that, it's great.

yeah agree to the 2 last posts, hands do need some work, they look too flat atm, cant really tell if they are pointing up or down ;)

besides that good so far

nexflo said:
they look too flat atm, cant really tell if they are pointing up or down ;)

besides that good so far
Yeah, when it's finished hopefully the colour and textures will correct that:).

ye, they are actually gloves. Hense the fingers been a bit chubber. Also they are flat so when I come to rig the character I do not have to mess about with 2 axis when placing bones. It just makes it easier. They are strucutred as a hand would be with a bump on the top and a ungrave under that. I could just make a quick test to see what they would look natrally. Might have to do it later.

Yet more updates :D. I hyavn't had much time to really do anything good to it. I have just started to add the legs in. I made some wireframes so you can comment on them. Anyway here they all are:

Light_Infantry_Beta8.jpg

Light_Infantry_Beta9.jpg

Light_Infantry_Wire_Beta1.jpg

Light_Infantry_Wire_Beta2.jpg

Light_Infantry_Wire_Beta3.jpg

C&C on structure please.

thanks.

Pendragon said:
Looking pretty badass. Will you be animating him?

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks that wire makes his ass look big?

lmfao, it proberly does. I might give him some slim faster later on if I can be assed. But I really think I should give him some legs. hehehe.

I will be rigging and learning animation with this character. So expect some media on those after the model is finished. I have never actually done any rigging or aniamtion and this is really why I am making the character. I also need modelling practice :D

Looks great. Only thing I can see that might be a bit off is the elbow pads. If you hold your arms out like that your elbows point more backwards than downwards. Other than that its great and I saved the pictures to my computer as a kind of reference for poly size and placement for when I build a body for the head I made :)

Lupus said:
Looks great. Only thing I can see that might be a bit off is the elbow pads. If you hold your arms out like that your elbows point more backwards than downwards. Other than that its great and I saved the pictures to my computer as a kind of reference for poly size and placement for when I build a body for the head I made :)

lol, your arms must be weird then :p try it your self :p Remember the position of your hand.

Ichi, hes right, i was gonna mention it earlier, but i didnt have the time. personally, i cant physically make my elbows point straight down, let alone with my hands the same way.

i reckon they should be facing back, but if you're gonna be real stubborn ( jk ) then atleast 45 degrees between that.

Ye, I might have to move them around about 20degrees. Should onlt take me about 1minutes. I will see what it looks like tomorrow.

You might have already said this mate but, what 3d package are you using for this beauty?

3dsmax6. I have been using it 9months. I also know how to use XSI after watching over 10hours of VTM's on it. But I just havn't put it into practice yet. I am also learning zbrush and know the basics of photoshop, but thats just after playing around with it. So its proberly less than basics LOL. Urrrrr..... thats about it really. Ow and XSI is my favorite program, even though I don't happen to actually use it atm LOL! I made a box thats about it. Well infact I made a box cut it up and made it look like my grandmas face. But thats just a bit over the top. Is that enough information for u?

Man, I so need to get laid.

<breaks arm> AAIIIEEEEEE!!!!......yeah....you were....right.....<faints>....

JK :p

Yaaaa, some more renders. Also I changed my mind on moving the elbow pad. I migfht change it later when I am proved wrong that its in the wrong position. But atm I am kinda confused about where it should be. Anyway here are some updates:

Light_Infantry_Beta10.jpg

Light_Infantry_Beta11.jpg

his legs are too wide methinks, but i think the base of the problem is his ass. its too big, and youve continued the shape down into the legs.

another thing, trousers generally fit your leg, so they taper towards the bottom, guessing this guys gonna be the Pheonix Connection in CS, with his trousers tucked into his boots, the are around the knees needs to be thinner.

keep it up man, its lookin sweet.

He needs knuckles.. he has an elevated back of the hand, and that should be easy to even out..

looks pretty good...hands are a bit..fat..what are you modelling it of?

Urrrr.. let me answer:

Legs = the trouses are suposed to be very baggy. I like to try and practice modelling baggy trouses, dunno why. Its just more fun and harder to model

Nuckles = Havn't got unlimited polgons. I tryed making them, but would ratehr try and bump map them later on than wast polgons.

Hands = the hands look totally dodge because they are basiclly totally flat except for the actual indents and bumps on them. When I rig them and give them a more relaxed stance it should look better.

Fat Hands = He is wearing quiet thick gloves. But I see what you mean. Might change that one.

Refrences = I am using a front side and back refrence of an infantry troop and developing it in my own way.

Thanks for all the feedback lads/lasses

:D

What's wrong with you people? :D His ass is fine!!

Whoa.. There's something I never thought I would say.. :eek:

His legs look just fine too, he's wearing trousers y'know, they're a bit baggy, that's all. :)

But ichi, you really need to change the elbow pads! Haven't you tried yourself? Stand like that (notice the way the hand is turned) and check with your other hand which way your elbow is pointing.
It might not be straight backwards, but it's defenitively more backwards than that (try 45 degrees maybe).

But I gotta say it's a damn fine job so far! :thumbs:

Edit: For the record, I posted before Ichi posted his last one.. I didn't just repeat what he said, It was my interpretation :p

ye, to everyone who likes it. I need people for my mod. HINT! HINT! hehehe. At its just me and a very helpful guy called Pendragon who everyone lvoes :D He is such a nice guy (in a none gay kinda way, lol)

The only improvements i can see with the legs are kneepads with straps that wrap around the trousers and squeeze them into the leg, thus thinning the trousers at the knee, also tucking the bottom of the trousers into the heavy military boots as well.

Legs look ok to me, will be easier to judge though once boots are put on. I think just bending the fingers down into a relaxed position like you said should make it appear like there are knuckles anyway, though the bump mapping should finish that off. Hands seem fine too I think.

What's wrong with you people? His ass is fine!!

heh, spit coke out of my nose when i read that. IchI thats a dead sexy model you've got there. I know what you mean about baggy pants. BDU's have almost no shape to them like freaking hammer pants (showing my age there) personally i think it's fantastic and can not wait to see him done....and then perhaps a small tutorial on how you did it ;)

ok, so they're baggy trousers, but if they're reaally baggy, surely they'd crease more...unless they've been starched :p

Back