Info for those deciding on new vid card

dscowboy

Reaction score
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17444

No, I'm not an nVidia fanboy or ATI-hater. Originally I was annoyed with nVidia for their FX-series fiasco and was planning to buy ATI for HL2, but it's looking as though the 6800 series is simply a better card. The inquirer article says the Farcry 1.2 patch failed because they tried to make an SM 2.0b hack for ATI which didn't work. This situation is suspiciously similar to the problems the FX-series had with DX9 and the hacks Valve was putting in Source to accomate nVidia's poor adherence to spec.

So you say 'who cares about SM 3.0?' Well invariably ATI's next gen card will finally have SM 3.0 support, and the Source engine will be updated to do SM 3. But for now, ATI doesn't have an SM 3 card and nVidia does. So for those who plan on buying a vid card this generation, I strongly urge you to look into the 6800s, regardless of anything Valve has said about ATI performance.

When Valve made their promotion deal with ATI I had no problem with it. The FX cards sucked at DX9, and it was good of Valve to tell people that. However, the game has been delayed a year and the 6800s are out. One of two results are going to come from the CS:S benchmarks and Valve is going to feel pain either way:

1) ATI does not have a significant advantage over nVidia, and Valve will look stupid for promoting ATI when there is little or no performance difference.

or

2) ATI will perform significantly better than nVidia, which will make it look like Valve 'cheated' to give ATI the advantage since all other DX9 benchmarks show nVidia and ATI in a dead heat.

I suppose there's a third option: nVidia outperforms ATI in HL2. Then everyone but nVidia is going to look stupid.

To summarize, here are the resons why I'm buying a 6800 GT:

- ATI's current offerings do not do SM 3.0
- All DirectX benchmarks we've seen so far show ATI and nVidia essentially tied. Any significant differences in HL2 performance will probably be artificial.
- nVidia currently has a large advantage in D3's OpenGL performance.

lets make it even easier m8:

categorise each card into low, med, med/high and high end makes it easier for people i find (well for me anyway :))

Low end series (avoid if you play games):

Nvidia GFFX 5200/5600
Ati Radeon 9000/9100/9200/9800se/9600se

Medium end series (treat as bare minimum for serious gaming):

Nvidia GFFX + ULTRA 5700/5800/5900
Ati Radeon 9600

Medium/High end series:

Nvidia GFFX + ULTRA 5950 (pushing it though)
Ati Radeon 9600xt/9700/9800/9800 pro/9800xt

High end series (if your made of moolah)

Nvidia + ULTRA 6800
Ati Radeon x300/x600/x800

WANT THE HIGHEST IMAGE QUALITY KNOWN TO MAN???:

ATI RADEON x800xt

sorry if i missed anything out, but that list gives you the most popular cards bought on the market...so far anyway. expect to pay anywhere from £90-150 on the medium and medium/high end cards...and around £300 on the best cards available (sorry, i dont know the US prices lol).

Pureball, Radeon 9800se would technically be in medium range.. it's about the speed of a 9600XT, AFAIK. Plus, there are the ones you can softmod.. but that's not guaranteed anyway

ok sorry if there are mistakes, but i heard that the 9800se ran like a 9600...sorry if im wrong guys

Pureball said:
ok sorry if there are mistakes, but i heard that the 9800se ran like a 9600...sorry if im wrong guys

I FORGIVE YOU!
/me gives Pureball a poisoned cookie

i would call x300 high end..its like 100 dollars..

i got the x300, x600 and x800 from ati's site...and half life radio rocks lol

dont base your buying decision off benchmarks of the leak. ATI still might come out on top with HL2, just wait and see

its actually been officially stated that half life developers 'prefer' ati over nvidia (half life radio :D), but still, dont make your decision on benchmarks like poseyjmac says. ignore people's reviews on the net, unless they are official that is...i ignored them, and went for actual proof that i had seen.

I'd take the 9700 off the list. It hasn't been made in a while and it is almost impossible to find a 9500/9700 these days.

ps3.0 is a standard which means you have to meet all the requirements to be 3.0 hardware but ati's card has many impovements that are part of 3.0.

it is hardly like the fx and dx9 because even with ps3.0, the x800 still matches the 6800.
the fx series performed like a 9600 rather than a 9800 in true dx9 games.

ShadowFox said:
I'd take the 9700 off the list. It hasn't been made in a while and it is almost impossible to find a 9500/9700 these days.

/me has a 9700
I win! I think.. or maybe I lose.. ;(
I benched 5066 with 3DMark03 whilst OCed.. so I double win!

Back