installing HL1, OP etc from cd AFTER steam?

meganox

Reaction score
i have steam installed with HL2/DM. i also own HL Generation which includes OP, CS, and Blue Shift (don't want to call it BS!), and i've already registered the key and the games appear in play games. fine.

what I want to do is install the HL1 pack from the cds and then let steam update it so i'm not waiting hours for the full download, is there a way of doing this? can i just install into the steamapps folder and let steam do the rest, or should i back up HL2, uninstalll steam, install HL1 normally, reinstall steam and reinstall HL2?

Install it to the default folder, restart to be safe, go. :)

well, the default folder the installer chooses will be C:\Program Files\Sierra\Half Life, but my steam installation is in C:\Valve\Steam. do you mean install it outside the valve tree and steam will find it and move it, or choose to install in C:\valve\steam\steamapps\half life?

OK, i needed to uninstall all my games (i have a seperate windows installation on another partition purely for gaming - highly recommended!) to move my pagefile and defrag properly, so i ended up installing HL1, OF, CS from the original CDs, then i installed steam and my HL2 retail. when i launch HL1 or whatever from steam it copies the game to the steam folder, but it never asked if i wanted to clean up the original installs, so can i just nuke the sierra installations using the sierra uninstallers?

just in case anyone else ever reads this, yes i can.

not bad going, four hours to get HL, OP, CS, DMC, TFC, HL2, HL2DM, CS:S installed and fully updated

Back