Intel 128bit processor

Orcone101

Reaction score
There's a rumour going around that Intel have started work on an 128bit processor with a core speed approx 12ghz.
The report can be read here .

WTF would we need 12ghz for?
And wouldn't that get like...really hot? or no?

I'm not sure how we can only go up to 5ghz on liquid cooling (nitrous) but somehow Intel will go to 12ghz?
64bit just came around the corner, theres hardley even any apps or games that support it right now.

Yeah okay, i'm buying one!!!!

Cooling would be a problem!
I'm sure they'd be working on that aswell.
Well I know I've put off buying a new computer for a while, if this is released, prices of 3ghz machines will drop super fast.

I personally think this is a bunch of bs.

Sorry but 64 bit hasnt been adopted yet and there isnt even an official windows release of a 64 bit operating system. There is a beta with in most cases no performance increase in games because the drivers suck and the games dont support 64 bit so how am I expected to believe that all these major companies are just going to stop with 64 bit and move right along to 128 bit just because intel lost the bencmark competition this year.

Oh and um

Intel decided not to screw around with 92, but to go straight to 128bit.

whatever you say pal. :rolling:

Sure theyre might be 128 bit cpu's in the works at the moment but definatly not for desktop systems. Maybee supercomputers but that is about it I would think

Sorry if that came off as rude.

If Intel are working on a 12 GHz cpu I think it will be several years yet before that will see the light of day, at first I suspect it will be aimed for the high end of the market such as servers.

As regard what we would need that speed for in a home computer is an easy question to answer, by the time a cpu running at that speed hits the domestic market we will be seeing games and software that need that type of speed. Bear in mind it could be ten years away before we see that speed cpu's.

When the first 1 GHz cpu came out people said "what do we need that speed for", the rest is history.

Electronics will continue to advance even if Intel are not working on a 12 GHz cpu they will be one day, people that think we don't need that type of speed will make no impact at all in the advancement of electronics.

It is not possible for them to make such a chip, end of discussion :p

They are actually making a dual core cpu, and I believe that chip will be 64bit.

freeman2 said:
When the first 1 GHz cpu came out people said "what do we need that speed for", the rest is history.

so true the head of IBM once said he sees a future where we will only need a few computers and should only have a few.

hahaha

Not happening/Lies
Not the best of rumors either.

The only function I could possibly see a 12ghz CPU performing is some sort of super-computer operation. But...I was under the impression that IBM owned the super-computer industry. Meh, whatver.

maybe all the hardware enthusiast 12 year olds out there went... 2 64 bit cores on one chip = 128 bit!

....:)

Back