Tank
Reaction score
http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-total-airhead.php

0000010011_3809.jpg

I'm thinking about getting one.

I currently use these Headphones.

Senheiser HD428

Beats Studio Headphones

I mean does a amp really make a Difference?

Anybody here have one?

It's a headphone amp, not an "ipod amp"

Damn you.

There is no real point to a headphone amp (especially on an ipod) unless you're talking about splitting your signal for multiple headphones.

I have a Behringer 4-way splitter/amp that I use to plug my speakers and headphones in for easier switching and volume control.

Also why did you buy those Beats headphones :|

My friend said his headphones needed an amp from his ipod touch to sound right. Something to do with the ipod touch not having enough power to correctly provide the audio for his specific headset or something... idunno, I didn't understand it, but it did make a major difference for him.

I think he had a thread on those Beats a while back, he was hated for it then too.

Yeah, AFAIK some bigger cans need more juice/have different impedances and need a headphone amp to sound their best. Check what the manufacturer recommends, and try one out yourself, if it sounds good, it sounds good.

Not all $100+ headphones need an amp. And expensive doesn't mean awesome either. Some of the price you pay is for branding for both dre and monster. Another part is noise cancellation.

Not sure if it is true.
Seems noise canceling have some kind of amp built-in. "muddy" sound when adding an external amp to the mix?

A lot of people who buy expensive headphones that have great range and use it with an iPod will get a special cable to go from the bottom of the unit and feed that into a headphone amp. Using the headphone jack on top of the ipod is not as clear since the sound goes through the on-board DAC which I guess is not top quality.

Also read.

You'll really only need an amp for these headphones if you want more bass.

A lot of people who buy expensive headphones that have great range and use it with an iPod will get a special cable to go from the bottom of the unit and feed that into a headphone amp. Using the headphone jack on top of the ipod is not as clear since the sound goes through the on-board DAC which I guess is not top quality.

iPods have a digital out? Man that's pretty awesome

How do you think you transfer data to and from it?

How do you think those Ipod stereo things work?

Unless you're asking if it has 'digital out' in the sense of a conventional digital audio port, like RCA, then the answer is no.

Back