Iron Grip Update

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
The team behind Iron Grip: The Oppression has come up with some fresh media for us: a pistol render and two gorgeous concept pieces.[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
Some time ago we announced a graphical redo of Iron Grip, starting with several re-designs. This would delay the mod but would be worth it. So we started creating extreme high-poly source-artwork to create detailed textures and normal maps, along with high-poly ingame models. The first one we’d like to show you is the Are-14 Heavy Pistol. This is a 6 barreled heavy pistol which is an old and out-dated weapon mainly used by the Resistance forces who are short in arms. This pistol is part of a 6-weapon arsenal currently in the works, so there’s much more to come!

Mosey on over to the Iron Grip Site for more information on this intriguing modification.

Haha, the inefficiency (cost wise, time it would take to manufacture, etc.) of having 6 seperate barrels for that pistol is laughable :LOL:

But really, it's a fine model, and that concept art looks astounding.

Nice update, love the concept art, i'm assume they will be the menu background pieces? The 3rd one is my fav. But nr2 = insanly complex, Very cool stuff
And what Vegeta said is true, but it's indeed cool and badass :)

I am really looking forward to this mod.

And no, I dont know why I am not still banned. :imu:

More important then the art is the gameplay. If you head over to their site you will discover how they are trying to do this. One player with RTS while the others on FPS.

That will take a huge work. Not only to code the commander's action propely but to actually balance the whole thing. From this point of view, it may be better to release a non-perfect grafic game so you can balance it on the way insead of trying to release a full blown game.

nah if you look at some of the recently released mods people have been bashing them for not being perfect masterpieces.

The community has definitely shown if you're not perfect they're going to get pissy. I bet that's the reason Iron Grip decided to delay their release and redo some stuff.

Those people are stupid and don't have to be considered.

Take two great mods for example, Garry's Mod and Counter-Strike. Their first versions were far from anything polished, yet by feedback they grew. Garry's Mod is now the biggest Half-Life 2 mod and Counter-Strike was made official by Valve.

If you mod has potential, the first looks won't matter much.

Counterstrike doesn't count because it came out back when people didn't expect a lot from mods. Garry's Mod is not a total conversion. For a good example of what mod authors have to put up with now, look at the comments for the Troy release. There are plenty of dumb comments about how they shouldn't have bothered releasing because it wasn't perfect.

Aye, it all comes down to the expectations of the gamers with a voice. They're spoilt, and expect too much from pretty much every mod. But you shouldn't be making your mod for those people. It's sometimes tough on motivation, since those people are the only ones out there (out here), so the only ones you'll get feedback from, but you have to do some very serious filtering on that feedback and ignore most of the harsh critics.

Make your game for yourself, for the experience, for fun. You can have those motivations and still make a high quality product imo, it really doesn't have to be about the numbers of downloads you get, the number of fanboys on your forum or even the public opinion. Modding is a learning experience, both technically and regarding team-based product development. To me, teams like Troy have proven that they're capable of taking a good idea and turning it into a good game. They haven't done so all the way due to lack of time, but I know what time a HL2 TC mod takes, so I can respect that [god knows I've sacrificed too much time already :p]. From what I've seen, Iron Grip has proven the same thing too already.

But yeah, I can understand why they don't release, after all, we haven't either. I'm sure there's a lot of mod teams that wouldn't have made as good a game as they have now had they released early. Getting burnt by the public opinion is the best way to lose motivation yourself, and to make it near impossible to attract new talent for your team.

Cyan Leader said:
More important then the art is the gameplay. If you head over to their site you will discover how they are trying to do this. One player with RTS while the others on FPS.

That will take a huge work. Not only to code the commander's action propely but to actually balance the whole thing. From this point of view, it may be better to release a non-perfect grafic game so you can balance it on the way insead of trying to release a full blown game.

Have you played Natural Selection? it's been done.

NS and IG are miles apart :p
NS = RTS/FPS hybrid
IG = RTS vs FPS (team1 = 1 player = general commanding RTS units, team 2 = rest of the players who play FPS in a guerilla-warfare way)

Hope this clears things up :)

Honestly, listen to Vince. Iron Grip plays nothing like Natural Selection. :)

vegeta897 said:
Haha, the inefficiency (cost wise, time it would take to manufacture, etc.) of having 6 seperate barrels for that pistol is laughable :LOL:
Barrel and chamber all in one big piece. Easy, fast and cheap to manufacture, however heavy.
It seems to have a pretty large caliber too, so the extra weight would help to reduce the recoil.

From the weapon's description...

Rahmos Imperial Metalworks ARE-14 14mm Heavy Pistol
Origin: Rahmos
Length: 304mm
Weight: 2.6kg
Caliber: 14mm
Ammo Capacity: 6
Muzzle Velocity: 183m/s (602ft/s)
Action: Revolver
Form over function incarnate, the large, ornate and heavy ARE-14 revolver is more of a status symbol than a weapon. These revolvers are awarded to officers who display exceptional courage and ability on the battlefield and are more valued than many service medals. They are very highly prized as souvenirs by any Resistance member who manages to capture one. They're not only showpieces though – their large 14mm soft-nose projectiles are devastating to any unarmored living being within its (relatively short) effective range.

Back