Is steam required to play half-life 2?

T

Tarzan

Hi..............is steam required to play half-life 2? Or can I just purchase it from a store without needing steam?.......Thanks for any help,it's appreaciated...... :)

you need Steam
if I where u I would buy it over Steam its more convienent and u dont support the faschist Publisher that way

Bleh, I purchased a box copy so I could have the reassurance of having the actuall cd on me all the time (my mom's allways been too scared to buy a product you don't get a cd for) and so I could get the HL2 shirt (I got collectors edition)

So in other words I can buy the box set without the need of steam at the store? Ok thanks again for any more help. :cheers:

When you install HL2 it will install Steam for you.

Tarzan said:
So in other words I can buy the box set without the need of steam at the store? Ok thanks again for any more help. :cheers:
You don't need Steam to buy HL2 but it is a part of the engine and is needed to play it. :)

Tarzan - Steam will automatically be installed as part of your HL2 installation. Before you play the game for the first time, Steam will launch and ask you to set up a new account (I think). Once you have a Steam account open, you'll be able to unlock, then play HL2.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I bought HL2 online through Steam.

Oh Ok I see I think???? In other words I buy halflife 2,then i come home install it,and then what? How do i get Steam? Will it install automatically?Thanks again for helping this confused guy. ;)

it will install automatically.

you'll than have to create an account, and register your halflife2 cd key to that account.

every time you want to play hl2, you'll than have to log into steam with that account.

if you wish to play offline, there is a 'offline' mode, but it's rather tedious to get working sometimes.

do you need an internet connection to install and play just hl2 storyline mode?

do you need an internet connection to install and play just hl2 storyline mode?

yes you need a net connection to activate hl2 online. it's an anti-piracy measure.

On the bottom of the retail box it states "Internet Connection Required"

After you install the game from the CDs, you will *not* be able to play until you connect to Steam via the Internet.

You only need to do this once, but this must be done be fore you can play.

Halflife will try to connect to Steam every time you start the game. If it cannot, you have the option of playing in "offline mode."

Tarzan said:
Oh Ok I see I think???? In other words I buy halflife 2,then i come home install it,and then what? How do i get Steam? Will it install automatically?Thanks again for helping this confused guy. ;)

I think this is the funniest ****ing thread I've EVER read! awesome

Back