Is there wind in HL2?

N

Nez0nline

i was playing cs:s, having fun blowing bottles and other rubbish around with explosives and guns an how the piles of rubbish make the game look realistic, i thought it would look more realistic if there was paper and small items that got blown around by the wind.

Does this happen in HL2?
Does Wind even exist or effect anything in HL2?

Nez
:stare:

Look at the Trainstation video, you'll see some papers floating around

Yes i believe so to some extent, i remember reading about a developer setting up a small hurricane as a test.

Also if you look at the floor in the trainstation bink there is rubbish being swept away by wind.

I've seen games where paper and stuff fly around on the ground but it's nothing special. Infact I hardy even noticed it until I stopped to look.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was turnado in hl2? A realistic one?

So theoretically you could program farts that would have effect as some kind of turbo-running...

It's also a fact that electricitycabels swing in the air.. So that could be the wind :p *hint*

Errrrr, yes... Tubo Farts....

Thats definatly what I am looking forward to in HL2!!! :eek: :eek:

Neway... yeah. There is wind in HL2... but I doubt its done as wind as such... Its prolly just a trigger now and again as you go through the level making things look cool. Notice its right at the start of the first level of the game. It will just be there to make you go "COOL!!" Right at the start. I wouldnt expect to see the effects of wind throughout the game.

God damn I am bored... I must be to spend so long typing about god damn wind... in a game!!! :p

I'm gona leave now.... :imu:

If you listen in the DX 9 HDR video, you can even hear the wind in small pathways.

cooool, thank you very much guys, i used to think this forum was full of stuck up regulars that hated n00bs but you have changed my way of thinking.

Thanks again

Nez
:farmer:

Newbies=good
n00bs=bad

I don't think you qualify as a "n00b". Asking a sensible question isn't bad. I'm a newbie here as well.

There is a console command in CSS to speed up the wind, it blows the bottles around - the white volumetric fog == wind

azz0r said:
There is a console command in CSS to speed up the wind, it blows the bottles around - the white volumetric fog == wind
Are they cl_winddir and cl_windspeed? They have no effect for me.

Yes! We willl have the power to command the wind and create an hord of evil to control the universe!!!! MOAHAAHHAHAHA!!! NOT! Boot jjes teh vind villk eksixt! PLX PLX!

one thing i noticed when i saw the video where gordon is facing that weird ship that looks like a giant seal (weird) the power lines were flying about.. right after get behind that wall (and the guy was talking about non-scripted AI)

i can't remember where i read this, i believe it was on this forum, but i from what i can recall there is no omniescent environmental wind, but you can program repulsion bubbles into the space around certain objects, for example, the scanner at the trainstation vid, just as it comes close to the rubbish on the floor, it repulses it away slightly, kinda like a magnet.

i know, at first when i heard this i was semi-dissapointed aswell, but i kept reading until someone said that you'd be able to therefore use this same "space bubble" tech to do interesting things, like alter the gravity withing certain areas, like having different wind or gravity "bubbles" around the same map, even along the same street

there's some food for thought!

Stamp said:
one thing i noticed when i saw the video where gordon is facing that weird ship that looks like a giant seal (weird) the power lines were flying about.. right after get behind that wall (and the guy was talking about non-scripted AI)

They are more like Manatees...

and hundreds of manatees die due to speedboats whacking them on the head.

you know...let's all remember that this is a game so..it won't be too realstic. Besides it would be kinda annoying if you shoot something something at a bad guy and it misses because of the wind.

It would be cool to see ripples in the water or the tree branches swaying back and forth.

I recommend playing No One Lives Forever 2 (trailer park level) or Serious Sam 2 (Stadium level) to see how wind has been used in previous FPS. These are the best two I have seen/experienced.

I want to see a tumble-weed blow by. :D

see this is why half life 2 is so damn good not really because the game and story are amazing and CS:S is awesome, its because its so flexible you can mod 'turbo farts'. What other game will you see something like that in? none lol

I can see the counterstrike matches now..... no guns just need to get a well placed fart on a guy to take him down.

CS:S has wind... knock over the barrels in site A, let them stop rolling, then eventually they will roll again stop, roll back etc.

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Errrrr, yes... Tubo Farts....

Thats definatly what I am looking forward to in HL2!!! :eek: :eek:

Neway... yeah. There is wind in HL2... but I doubt its done as wind as such... Its prolly just a trigger now and again as you go through the level making things look cool. Notice its right at the start of the first level of the game. It will just be there to make you go "COOL!!" Right at the start. I wouldnt expect to see the effects of wind throughout the game.

God damn I am bored... I must be to spend so long typing about god damn wind... in a game!!! :p

I'm gona leave now.... :imu:

i agree.. its probably part of a script sequence.. but really it doesn't matter does it? i mean pple want other features like fluid dynamics and such over this "blowing wind" feature..

anyway it doesn't bother me either way :)

heh, or have a map with no gravity at all, and you have to fart to get around.. thatd be hilarious!

Stamp said:
heh, or have a map with no gravity at all, and you have to fart to get around.. thatd be hilarious!

this is, as you said, hilarious. please someone pry my diaphragm back with a crowbar, or else i'll die of laughter. now. please. kill me.

If you have played CS:Source and DE_DUST you know there is wind on that map.

Look at the barrels rolling around, look at the cans rolling around, look at the cables swinging in the wind, look at the dust blowing around.

Jesus ;x

estling said:
If you have played CS:Source and DE_DUST you know there is wind on that map.

Look at the barrels rolling around, look at the cans rolling around, look at the cables swinging in the wind, look at the dust blowing around.

Jesus ;x

There are no barres or cans rolling around in my version, unless someone pushes or shoots them. I also don't see any dust blowing around or cables swinging.

Well, that's od. Cause I do that :) If a barrel falls down, it will start to roll when the wind comes. When you walk into BOMB A, you can see a glass bottle roll with the wind. Also, you can see the cables swing. :p

Nex321 said:
Wouldn't it be cool if there was turnado in hl2? A realistic one?

Lets make a MOD where you must survive in a map where is strong tornado and it throws cars and stuff around.

That would be fun !

Back