is this a compatible comp?

BaNDiT

Reaction score
Im puttin together a new comp (first time) this is what i got. can you please tell me if everything here is compatible.

ASUS "SK8V" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 940 CPU -RETAIL

Antec P4 ATX12V 400 Watt Power Supply With 2 Fans, Model "SL400" -RETAIL

AMD Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache, Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - Retail

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Platinum Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) ECC Registered DDR PC-3200 - Retail

SONY Beige 1.44MB 3.5Inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model MPF920, OEM

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD, OEM Drive Only

Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD1200JD, OEM Drive Only

SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Model DDU1612, OEM
Samsung 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, Model SW-252FEN, OEM Bulk

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0244" -OEM

Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX Certified Speaker System -RETAIL

i also plan on purchasing either the 6800xt or the x800xt depending on which outpreforms the other on hl2 and d3.

thanks a lot.

Very very nice....just....you don't need 200gb of space....ummm definately go with the x800, the 6800 has too many issues and isnt really worth it. Lets see....ur mobo and processor are good unless u wanna wait for the socket 939 which is slightly better, but that may be a couple months. As for everything else looks beautiful. Enjoy your beast of a comp! :thumbs:

thanks for the reply! i would wait for the 939, but i want to get this thing before doom and hl2 come out, so im just looking for the best thats available now. do you have any suggestions. also, do i have to buy any special power cables, or anything small that i dont have listed? im sorry, its just that im extermely unskilled in building computers, so i dont wanna screw up. thanks!

bandit, your rig looks good. your harddrive configuration isnt great though. you might want to just get a single 10k rpm harddrive. itll cost more but it will work out better than 2. or raid, but id suggest you whip out the "raptor" series by western digital.

no you will not need to buy any extra cables. you may if youre buying oem, but it look slike you are pretty much not. if you ever need help feel free to post here.

edit: your graphics cards will not perform better in both games. one is likely to perform one beter (eg: r420 will run hl2 better, most likely) and 6800 will run doom 3better.

I'd go for the regular Athlon 64 3400+ (not fx) because it's cheaper and you're not sacrificing much speed. But for you it seems money is not an issue. Enjoy your system.

k, thanks. any other suggestions?

Edit: what do you think would be better two 80 gig wd 7200rpm hdds or a single 73Gig WD 10,000Rpm raptor hdd ? and why? thanks.

Back