Is this a possible upgrade for my comp?

colson

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if it was possible to put a AMD Athlon XP3200+ Socket A 512 L2 Cache Barton CPU - OEM in my comp. My mother-board is an ASUS A7n8x and its socket A. Currently my processor is an AMD Anthlon XP 2500+ (1.8ghz.) I was hoping to speed up my comp and wondering if this was possible. I'm not sure what other information I need to give but I'll provide it if you need it to help me.
Thanks,
Colson

I'm pretty sure the A7n8x supports the AXP 3200+. I'd check if that would require a bios update or not though. It will depend what version of the board you have if it comes with a new enough bios that supports it without updating.

Ok, but I'm not sure what a bios is or how to perfom a bios update . Sorry I'm a noob to this sort of thing so coud you please explain what you mean. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It says right on the box AMD 400mhz FSB athlon xp ready so if what your telling me is true I can probably upgrade. Thats dope thanks for the help!

holydeadpenguins, has a point " i want one to "
But could you just not overclock your cpu!
I believe these are the exact components in my pc and are very good!
But consider it will cost about £70+ for about 15-20% performance increase to buy the processor. and as your new to computers, could you fit it?
Serious though, it is simple to overclock your present cpu!
pm me if you want some abvice or step by step procedure to overclock it.
SL1

The 2500 could easily reach 3000 or 3200 speeds with a little tweaking. But without the unlocked multiplier of the xp mobile you cant get your bus speeds to insanely high speeds.

If you have an Athlon XP 2500+ and if you can get your FSB to OC to 200Mhz then you should have it at XP 3200+ speeds.
XP3200+ = 2.2GHz = 11 multiplier * 200MHz FSB
XP2500+ = 1.8GHz = 11 multiplier * 166MHz FSB

Asus said:
If you have an Athlon XP 2500+ and if you can get your FSB to OC to 200Mhz then you should have it at XP 3200+ speeds.
XP3200+ = 2.2GHz = 11 multiplier * 200MHz FSB
XP2500+ = 1.8GHz = 11 multiplier * 166MHz FSB

colson, this is what i done with my XP2500 Barton. as asus has suggested!
I simply put up my FSB from 166 to 200 in the bios, iam using the latest
bios version 1013. "But it works quiet well with older bios versions"
It does however cause the cpu to operate at higher tempatures,
So good cpu cooling is required.
You can get the updated drivers from
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
SL1.

Back