It takes a couple minutes to boot up?????

kickass2009

Reaction score
I just installed a new hard drive on my computer and I installed windows. The problem is it take 3-4 minutes to boot up. I dont know why. The bios screen doesnt come up either. with my old hard drive it only took about 40 seconds to boot up. Was I supposed to configure the bios befor I installed windows? And is there an easy way to uninstall windows? Or should I just format the hard drive and start over form the begining.

Sounds pretty odd. I don't think it has anything to do with your installation of Windows, if it was working quicker before you installed the new HD.

Are the jumpers properly set on your HDs (If they're on the same IDE channel, Windows drive = master, new drive = slave)? Also, are the two drives on the same or seperate IDE channels?

Make it easy, run them on cable select, put master on end, and slave in middle, this may solve it.

Also check that your boot sequence is correct in the BIOS (HDD-0 first) some may have HDD-1 as thier first. Also to sped up boot time, remove the boot sequences for floppy and CDROMS. This will speed it up a weee bit especially if you leave CD's in the drives.

If windows is running slow, check your device manager, for your IDE controllers, both primary and secondary should be running DMA access, not PIO mode. PIO mode is slower, much slower....

Hope this helps...

I have the same problem... I changed my PSU and may somehow connected the power cables and IDE cables wrong... I was thinkng of fixing it, but im to damn lazy...:cheese:

Back