Its a pity..

G

That valve couldn't have used all that state of the art technology, engine and work into making a more realistic game, maybe a mafia like game or GTA like game. Something thats easier to relate to than a bunch of aliens from XEN. I guess on the good side is that other companies can hire out the engine for these things.

imagine SystemShock (the one and only game) with source-engine :))

greetz
Tekkie

If you relate to GTA more than you relate to halflife then you should be in jail.

Or maybe a mental home.

wtf are you talking about?! Half-life is amazing.. no other game would deserve such technology first, there is NO SHAME what-so-ever in making half-life.

and realism will come with MODS for hl. i'm sure there will be an ultra realistic bullet physics n all mod released not long after hl2 is out.

System Shock 2 would be terrifying with the Source engine. I just finished that game after building the courage to play it. Shodan was way too easy. the Body of the Many was hard as. and creepy as. I hope Doom 3 is like that in some way

naaaa,

ever played the System Shock 1 CD-Version? IMHO deeper / darker atmosphere than part 2...

another candidates for Source-Eninge:

Alone in the Dark 1 to 5000(/§()$/§($

System Shock 2 relies on atmosphere , well designed levels and sound, and does not need graphics. I dont think the graphics will make it any more scary - eg the Cyborg Wife. Its got a 5 polygon arm for f's sake, but for me it is probably the scariest character in a game ever.

chey_wife.gif

Just hearing its voice in my head sends chills down my spine.

Originally posted by slicknet
That valve couldn't have used all that state of the art technology, engine and work into making a more realistic game, maybe a mafia like game or GTA like game. Something thats easier to relate to than a bunch of aliens from XEN. I guess on the good side is that other companies can hire out the engine for these things.

Odd, in GTA I didn't give a flying **** about the story or the characters, they could be all dead, I wouldn't care. I felt no commitment with the characters, just a bunch of polygons speaking some words.

With HL, you WERE Gordon, you saw everything through his eyes, you didn't know what the hell was going on. You were really pulled into the story with an alien invasion and how the government fits all into this.
Safe to say that HL and presumably HL2 has a much more immersive universe than all GTA games will ever have.
It was easy to relate to Gordon, because you WERE Gordon, and all you wanted was to escape from BMRF.
The story goes way deeper than some silly martian invasion.

Ok.
I've seen the light!

What about Aliens Vs. Predator with the Doom3 Engine?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think many of us will need diaper change faster than an empty clip replacement!

the cyborg mid-wife? they were creepy. But the thing hated the most in System Shock 2 were the PDA messages from people we were being......"reborn" or "enlightened".........that was creepy

Re: Re: Its a pity..

Originally posted by PvtRyan
Odd, in GTA I didn't give a flying **** about the story or the characters, they could be all dead, I wouldn't care. I felt no commitment with the characters, just a bunch of polygons speaking some words.

With HL, you WERE Gordon, you saw everything through his eyes, you didn't know what the hell was going on. You were really pulled into the story with an alien invasion and how the government fits all into this.
Safe to say that HL and presumably HL2 has a much more immersive universe than all GTA games will ever have.
It was easy to relate to Gordon, because you WERE Gordon, and all you wanted was to escape from BMRF.
The story goes way deeper than some silly martian invasion.

maybe i rushed hl cause i didnt really feel like gordon. plus i didnt really think the story was that good. IMO OF was a good bit better than HL.

An Undying remake with Source or Doom 3 engine (I think Source is more suited for this one) :eek:

regaqrding system shock 2

I know we are sort of off subject here.... but I agree with most of you that system shock 3 with the source engine might be a possiblility. I absolutly loved System shock2....that is definately the scariest game I have played hands down. I have tried to play the first one, but it didnt work right on my computer (old game). One of the biggest things to make system shock 2 so scary in its atmosphere is the SOUND. The sound was very creepy ...especially when you have one of "the many" sneaking up behind you...with that voice....the graphics despite the poly count were pretty good for a science fiction...good colors......I want system 3

Originally posted by PvtRyan
An Undying remake with Source or Doom 3 engine (I think Source is more suited for this one) :eek:
Holy crap that would be scarey :x

how could you POSSIBLY compare HL2 and GTA? :shock:
btw i like your wallpapers pvtryan

System shock 2 with source..oh so fun.

Half-Life 2 is the perfect game to have it first though...long live Freeman!

so is System shock 2 a FPS is it anything like aliens vs preds 2 ?

I loved HL and I also loved GTA3 and Vice City, it's difficult to pick a favorite but I think I'd have to go with Vice City because I can just keep going back to it over and over :)

ok it says role playing so whats that exactly , i tend to only play FSP or adventure or sports games. Is it like HL in any way ?

Originally posted by MrAssface
I loved HL and I also loved GTA3 and Vice City, it's difficult to pick a favorite but I think I'd have to go with Vice City because I can just keep going back to it over and over :)

lol.. how off topic is that ?

all i said is that they could make a game that has an everday life element to it.

System Shock 2 is what TTLG fondly calls an Action-RPG. It’s like a RPG, with player stats, and an evolving story-line, but unlike a RPG in that there is little-to-no character interaction. It’s like an action game in that it is every bit as action packed as the best shooter, yet unlike an action game, as it requires complex thought, puzzle solving, and sometimes very passive ways of solving problems.
(so something like rpg and fps in one (neverwinternights meets quake))

lol.. how off topic is that ?

all i said is that they could make a game that has an everday life element to it.

like The SIMS?

They should reamke Pong with the Source engine.. how cool would that be... ?!!?!!?!

actually, If I were to use the source engine to make a game.. maybe thief (thief3 uses Unreal engine techh as far as I know).. or maybe even uh.. actually, I'd go along the same line as System shock, that'd be pretty damn cool. (we are, we are, we are.... HURRY RUUUUUUNNN!!!)

so is sss2 like deux ex not that ive played deux ex mind ?

dunno, never played deux ex but i think you're close :)

Reply:

I think as much as people want things to be realistic...everyone has to remember it is a game...emphasis on game here. heh

- Jason

why is the mafia easier to relate to? because you watch the sopranos? are you in the mafia?

right.......

so running over cops and picking up shiny medals to stop them following you is your idea of realism :dozey:

i love vice city but i dont see why it should get the physics engine hl2 is getting.

only game i would ever want to get the hl2 engine first is BF1942

64 ppl per map in all of that glorious physicienes.......... *drools*

Originally posted by Dougy
right.......

so running over cops and picking up shiny medals to stop them following you is your idea of realism :dozey:

i love vice city but i dont see why it should get the physics engine hl2 is getting.

only game i would ever want to get the hl2 engine first is BF1942

64 ppl per map in all of that glorious physicienes.......... *drools*

Hear, hear!!! Cheers to that!

Hmmm....Aliens vs Predator is MUCH more suited for the Doom3 engion...
so might SS2

but GTA3/VC would be Source, Unreal1 would be source...wheel of time, etc...definately source...

Doom3 = lighting, tight corridors etc to create a sence of atmosphere, source = all the other stuff...

BTW, who wants to see a Doom3 mod of that space sequence in 3DMark2003? That would KICK! :)

Slicknet is an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about. This is the wrong place to make such comments

HL2 is just a mod using the Source engine. Many more mods will be made on Source.

Originally posted by Dougy
right.......

Agreed.
HL and HL2 are far more realistic because of the lack of cutscenes, first-person view, very good AI, no mission screens, no real missions, weapons don't float in the air, etc., etc.

Far Cry would be a better engine to liscence for a fully explorable city such as the one in GTA or Mafia.

I would love to see a remake of one of the System Shock games, but the DOOM 3 engine would be better suited for the job. Just imagine shooting out the lights and using the shadows to hide from enemies. That would be great. =D

You know what enemies I hated the most? Those plant mutants from SS1. Soooo weird.

Back