Its Hip To Hate! (apparently)

mbrithoms

Reaction score
While browsing as many HL2 related sites and forums as I could I started to realise that a majority of folk are starting to turn on HL2 Ive read 90% more posts and comments that downright disregard HL2's Gfx in a heartbeat whilst earlier last year folk were in awe of this legendary sequel, just seems a great deal of people are starting to hate the concept, maybe its cool to hate HL2 at the min, certainly seems that way

discuss below :)

Yeah, we've seen this happen. This site has been oddly unaffected by that, possible due to better moderation of trolls.

Kind of inevitable really...with the general slowness of new info, people are gonna get pissed off. Everyone was so excited to start with, not like they can get more excited...

I think it's just because the graphics aren't as amazing to us as they were back then, I mean it's been almost exactly a year now, some games with great graphics have been released/announced, it's a normal thing.

as soon as people saw the Unreal 3 engine, they got deluded into thinking that everything should look that good, even if any games on that engine are still years off.

This is expected! What would you do if you see an amazing car, a true piece of heaven. Then after a year of delays and seeing other amazing cars you see this old car again (but this time without any shine or sparkle) would you be amazed?

If the car was priced competitively and guaranteed to drive better than the others for 5+ years, I would :)

I get the feeling that alot of them have delusions where if they complain enough, that Valve will somehow magically make the graphics look like something from the Unreal 3.0 engine and yet still manage to not delay the game again.

The rest of them are just disgruntled about Valve having delayed the game at the last minute so they end up trying to make Valve seem like the demons of the gaming industry.

I still love you Halflife 2. I am willing to forgive and forget all of our past transgressions.

don't worry, e³ will rebuild the hype, just like last year, but this time RELEASE THE DAMN GAME!!!

Heh, it's probably all mostly versions of brassmonkey/evilewok/???? posting under different names. :)

I'd say just wait until after E3. I'm sure Valve has something very special cooked up for it that'll blow everyone away, again. I predict a huge surge of support and hype to arrive next week :)

Its amazing how much hype has been created over just a small amount of informations. All of those negative people who said HL2 would never gain the hype it had before the source and release date problems, must be eating their words now. How does it taste?

just gets me down to be honest, the new screens of HL2 in mags and the new gamespy ones just didnt really impress me, weve been spoilt with some very nice games graphic wise lately

considering the age distribution on most game fansites, it's not surpising at all.

Ahnteis said:
considering the age distribution on most game fansites, it's not surpising at all.
Also consider the number of people Counter Strike brought into the HL community, and then consider the maturity and age of alot of CS players.

HL2.net has a good core. You won't see flamer/spammers/haters lasting long here. Additionally we have a lot of good non-moderator members that keep thigns civil through various means.

If you hate the game, HL2.net doesn't care. There's no reason to be at HL2.net if you hate the game. :)

I really think it has to do with the HL2 engine delivering things that seems so obviously normal, that people overlook stuff like that:

For instance, in the tech demo, when he used the blue-beam manipulator-brother thingie, and took the matress and laid it on a box, that's unheard of..........

Oh god I just got the insatiable urge to stop typing....

people are fickle, once the game is out however it will be a different story.
as long as I can keep relatively lamer/griefer/moron free with MP I will be happy ;)

but to be honest, GFX isnt HL2's strongest asset.... but its HL2... that says it all, its the whole package and then some.

look at Farcry for example, Excellent graphics... but everything else is kinda lacking.
Im not even going to mention Deus Ex2.

Been here forever, been a fan of HL2 before we even knew Hl2 was in developement (die hard HL1 fan) that being said, give me HL2!

Im dreading E3.

Becuase all the morons and trolls will suddenly realise they no longer hate Hl2.

i can picture it now..... the Forums will be crashing for hours on end again and 9/10 threads will be pointless already talked to death balls.

:dozey:

I'm with Dougy on this one... I expect to see a total online opinion inversion, and a massive positivity overload, causing catastrophic failure of the forums due to an increase in posting members.

This reaction shares many similarities to the well-known 'dumped boyfriend' syndrome. You see, a guy might think a certain girl is the hottest, greatest chick in the world until he gets dumped by her. Then that same girl is miraculously turned into a vomitous skankwhore with no redeeming qualities at all. HL2 was the hot chick then Valve pulled HL2 away from our grasp and HL2 is now a good-for-nothing scumbag.

To me the graphics still look great, although if I must nit-pick I don't like the fact that the water doesn't ripple much in response to weapons fire or bodies falling into it(see coastline and docks videos). I can't wait to spend hours exploring the cityscape and rubble.

Well the graphics maybe not the strong side of HL2, but is it that bad, no I think the graphics are fine. The thing is we have been spoiled with good gfx in games lately, I like the graphics more in HL2 than in Far Cry, I think HL2 looks more lifelike, realistic.

HL2 has never or will never lose any support from me :)

but to be honest, GFX isnt HL2's strongest asset

I dunno: I watched the kliener's lab vid again, and I'm not sure anything I've seen really compares when you put it all together. The way light is cast on the characters and the environment, how incredibly detailed they are, how chock full of STUFF rooms are: it all comes together in a way I don't think any other game I've seen can match. The radiosity and detail of the light is unmatched by Doom3. The draw distances in the coastline vid are pretty amazing, considering there is a lot more in each scene (more real objects instead of just sprites and LOD hills) than in a similar scene in Far Cry. And the art direction is inspired. Put it all together in one package, and it may be trumped on a technical feature here or there, but the final picture is just incredible: moody and alive.

The screenshots lately have indeed been sort of blah. But we've seen the game in motion, we know what it REALLY looks like, and those shots don't even begin to do it justice.

if I must nit-pick I don't like the fact that the water doesn't ripple much in response to weapons fire or bodies falling into it(see coastline and docks videos).

Dunno: looked pretty great in the tech demo video when all that stuff splashed in. And the coastline vid not only had gouts of water and ripples where bullets hit, but the force of the hovercreature's fan shot water into the air as well.

People keep saying the HL2 graphics aren't that impressive & I must strongly disagree. The graphics are awesome, especailly if you're going to play it on DX9 hardware.

I cant wait to see what the Gordon model looks like... I might just go to
Multiplayer>options>player setup
to check out the model before I head into SP :D

lol that's not a bad idea, actually as odd as this sounds what you just mentioned is a small thing that I cannot wait for when it comes to HL2: seeing all the different multiplayer models available for us to use. I know it's a minor bit of the game but it's the small details like that, that I am really looking forward to seeing.

I want to know if Gordon still has that ponytail thing on the back of his head...

there will be a lot of guys turning their opinions around the second the game hits the shelves. Sure, everyone was disappointed by the delay and all but why get fanatical about it? Then bash the guys that gave us a great game that's been played for 5 years or so. Doesnt' make sense to me, valve doesnt' owe you jack squat. The $50 bucks I spent so long ago on the original game has been priceless to me in entertainment value. I can't count the hours of fun I've had with friends at lan parties trash talking and fragging each other till early in the morning. I'm really looking forward to the day HL2 is finally released and I'm glad there's a forum for people who are more positive then negative about the whole situation (steam, HL2 delay, etc....) just my opinion i guess...

Apos said:
I dunno: I watched the kliener's lab vid again, and I'm not sure anything I've seen really compares when you put it all together. The way light is cast on the characters and the environment, how incredibly detailed they are, how chock full of STUFF rooms are: it all comes together in a way I don't think any other game I've seen can match. The radiosity and detail of the light is unmatched by Doom3. The draw distances in the coastline vid are pretty amazing, considering there is a lot more in each scene (more real objects instead of just sprites and LOD hills) than in a similar scene in Far Cry. And the art direction is inspired. Put it all together in one package, and it may be trumped on a technical feature here or there, but the final picture is just incredible: moody and alive.

The screenshots lately have indeed been sort of blah. But we've seen the game in motion, we know what it REALLY looks like, and those shots don't even begin to do it justice.

Dunno: looked pretty great in the tech demo video when all that stuff splashed in. And the coastline vid not only had gouts of water and ripples where bullets hit, but the force of the hovercreature's fan shot water into the air as well.
agreed on all points. and dougy is also right about the change in the forums after e3. but we all know who have been showing support through the silent months.

Brian Damage said:
I'm with Dougy on this one... I expect to see a total online opinion inversion, and a massive positivity overload, causing catastrophic failure of the forums due to an increase in posting members.

that kind of thing could cause a resonance cascade.... (I need a drummer).

I like the when it comes to graphics everyone compares whos got the most features, and looks at screenshots in minute detail for artifacts and specular-bump-light-dynamic-displacement-mapping.

Just sit back and watch a Video. I like HL2's graphics more than Doom 3's, and I have absolutely no fcking idea why. I dont really care which little shader did what effect. I think HL2 looks more realistic and everything in Doom3 has a glossy liquid effect..

Back