Its just doesn't make sence.

M

master_chief

Ok, could someone explain this to me....

Why the H*ll would the source code for one of the most anticipated games of the year be stored on an unsecured computer witch internet access?

And has nobody at Valve ever heard of making a backup?

I just dont understand why they have to delay the game.
Lets say someone did steal the code...the programmers should have a backup of it. It only makes sence to make backups of your information.

You see, backups would make things easier, that way if the code is "stolen" then you have another copy.

If they had to delay that game, then just tell people. Don't make up folish stories.

Everything that is going on doesn't make sence.
I'm not extremely mad at anyone, it just seems really strange.
Thats just my opinion.

no no no they didn't actually take all the code away from valve, valve still has the code, but some other poeple do as well and with this code they can do things they shouldn't and cause valve monetary losses

of course they have backups.. where did you get the idea that they didnt??!!! even if they didnt they could just download it off the net..lol

"Steal" the source code doesn't mean going to Valve and get it, it means copying it.
Valve still has the source code, but somebody has it too.

*Shhhh, don't tell him*

*Ahem* Yeah d00d, it sucks. The hackers stole the code at left valve with NOTHING. Now they have to code the WHOLE game again. Those valve guys are fookin IDIOTS!!!!!!!!111!!!!

Originally posted by jAkUp
of course they have backups.. where did you get the idea that they didnt??!!! even if they didnt they could just download it off the net..lol

Hey jakUp who is the chick in your Avatar??

Originally posted by Azul
*Shhhh, don't tell him*

*Ahem* Yeah d00d, it sucks. The hackers stole the code at left valve with NOTHING. Now they have to code the WHOLE game again. Those valve guys are fookin IDIOTS!!!!!!!!111!!!!

You sir owe me for dry cleaning. I just passed coffee through my nose onto my shirt and pants!!!

Originally posted by master_chief

And has nobody at Valve ever heard of making a backup?

LoL! they arent rewrighting because someone deleted all the code, they are rewriting it because they dont want hackers using steam to **** peoples boxes.

Attachments

• vida guerra.jpg
    vida guerra.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 344
ah don't be so mean guys, not everyone knows the whole story... anyway, to answer your questions master_chief,
We really don't know why valve aren't saying anything about delays officialy, maybe they just don't know yet themselves?...
The code was actually copied, not physically removed from valves offices, but the hackers that "stole" this code, have opened up a lot of issues for valve, such as security holes, cheats, and no telling what else..
And valve probably has quite a bit of money invested in back up tapes, but thats not gonig to do them any good in this situation because there backups are the same thing as the "stolen" code... Meaning they will probably have to re-write, or find work arounds to fix the holes that are going to be exploited by the leaked code...
And no one really knows what valve were thinking when they had copies of the source on unsecure computers connected to the net, probably just a big mistake on their part..
hope this helps

I knew it looked familiar, she really needs to do more work we haven't seen enough of her.

Yeah, you knew there would be smartass replies to this, I just couldn't resist.

Interesting though, WHAT IF they did steal the code, AND deleted all traces from valves machines (assuming they had full access to all their machines, and valve didn't have off-site backups)?

WOW. Would 100,000+ HL fanboys commit harikari? You betcha, bubba.

Everyone has either onsite tape backups or offsite backups.

The idea that they have no back-ups is patently ridiculous.

I don't have off-site backups...and my lesbian pr0n collection is worth...BILLIONS.

looks kinda like the daughter from the sopranos...only...less fat.

Originally posted by Stryyder
Everyone has either onsite tape backups or offsite backups.

The idea that they have no back-ups is patently ridiculous.

Yeah and the idea of not having network security up to date is patently ridiculous also..... ;)

BECAUSE VALVE IS NOT FINISHED THE GAME!!!

OR THEY WOULD HAVE RELEASED IT ALREADY!!!!

Valve...Valve...Valve...Val.....Vid...Vida Guerra....Vida..

If the hacker really wanted to, he could've hacked any source code and any resource of ANY game currently in production. As seen, betas and codes have leaked before. Truthfully, this is Vavle, not Bank of America. The expectation for ultra-security was not there. Hopefully, more than just Valve learned from this painful lesson

Originally posted by Javert
If the hacker really wanted to, he could've hacked any source code and any resource of ANY game currently in production. As seen, betas and codes have leaked before. Truthfully, this is Vavle, not Bank of America. The expectation for ultra-security was not there. Hopefully, more than just Valve learned from this painful lesson

We're still talking about that?

-Ghost.

Back