IYO, what's a decent ping?

adamkelt

Reaction score
I tend to try to only play on server where the ping is <30 or so. Am I being too stringent? I mean, I'm not sure - for all I know, a ping of 150 is acceptable...

Thoughts?

i find that a server ping of 50-70 is perfectly fine. The problem is other users on a server who think 200 is just fine...they are hard to shoot because they hop all over the place like they have a magic instant teleportation system. Really annoying if you aren't a sniper.

But a server full of <70 pingers is great, for me.

I find any server less then 150 is fine...I rarely find a server less then 90...but thats probably from lack of looking...

All depends on your connection....In my opinion the following would be around 'normal'

56k..upto 175ms
ISDN....upto 125ms
512 ADSL...upto 90ms
1mb ADSL...upto 60ms

My connection does 300 KB/ps down, 40 KB/ps up and for me, decent ping is below 80. great ping is under 30.

I go for servers with alot of players and as low ping as possible. If I can't find a good server less than about 90 then I don't play. My usualy ping is around 20-40 though.

A decent ping is 0 :p

A ping i'm happy with is about 30. Depending on the server i can sometimes ping at 15 with a 1.5mb cable line so its cool. :E

512 adsl.

used to get 30 ping on 1.6

cant get anything under 60 for source.

and i can really notice the difference, specially lag spikes.

this is on my ISP's cs server aswel

Used to get 5-20 ping in 1.6 (if I looked). In source I usually get 30-45 ping. Meh... :(

i usually only consider the server if its 15-30 ping in the serverlist.

o_O..

Anything under 100 feels the same to me, i can still scout someone's face off just as easy from 20 to 100. anything higher than 150 is annoying though. Oh and lets not get into choke or loss.

anything > 60 i find very annoying to play in. i feel much more accurate and more like the server is "on the same page" with whats happening on the map.

do you guys even know what ping is for ?
look with a ping of 200 you are 2.0 milseconds slower i mean you gat the data from the server 2.0 mili sec later !!!!!!!! this is not good i never play over the lets say 90 then you wont get the you got hacked feeling if u get killed.

smiley_mr.T said:
do you guys even know what ping is for ?
look with a ping of 200 you are 2.0 milseconds slower i mean you gat the data from the server 2.0 mili sec later !!!!!!!! this is not good i never play over the lets say 90 then you wont get the you got hacked feeling if u get killed.

A ping of 200 is 200ms cos thats what ping is measured in

2000 = 2 seconds

Anyway i sort the servers by ping and wont go on any that are above 40

adamkelt said:
I tend to try to only play on server where the ping is <30 or so. Am I being too stringent? I mean, I'm not sure - for all I know, a ping of 150 is acceptable...

Thoughts?

Im just like you. But i only play in servers with 15-25 ping. Sometimes im forced to play with more then 30-35 (matches)

Once it goes higher then that 40-45-50 i start to not like things.

Oktup said:
A ping of 200 is 200ms cos thats what ping is measured in

2000 = 2 seconds

Anyway i sort the servers by ping and wont go on any that are above 40
sorry dude slight caculating error

With my wireless 1mbit broadband I'm quite satisfied with a ping below 100. My ping on the hl2.net server are at about 150ms. I can take it.

for me.. between 40 and 60.. is my avarage... but as long as its below 100-120 its pretty decent IMO

If I can find a server with < 30 on a good map with decent traffic, I'm very happy (some Toronto servers I find <25).
I'm satisfied if I stay steady < 100 though.

So, I've got speed, but my cpu/video card are the huge bottleneck after that so it's a lost cause..

I have the luxury to not care what server im joining, the ping is good pretty much everywhere.

I don't understand people that play on servers where they ping 70+ when there are tons of servers where they can get less then 30. I never play on a server that I ping over 30 on, usually play on a friends server here in Edmonton at 10-15.

Back