Jack Thompson facing permanent disbarment

FishBulb

Staff member
Reaction score
and a huge fine, too! :imu:

In a 169-page ruling issued today, Judge Dava Tunis said she felt that the Florida Bar's recommendation that Thompson be forbidden to practice law in the state for 10 years was too lenient. Citing a 1996 precedent, she said that first, any "judgment must be fair to society, both in terms of protecting the public from unethical conduct and at the same time not denying the public the services of a qualified lawyer as a result of undue harshness in imposing penalty. Second, the judgment must be... sufficient to punish a breach of ethics and at the same time encourage reformation and rehabilitation. Third, the judgment must be severe enough to deter others who might be prone or tempted to become involved in like violations."

Citing these three guidelines, Tunis recommended a penalty of "permanent disbarment" for Thompson "with no leave to reapply for admission." She also ordered him to pay the court $43,675 in "disciplinary costs," including $23,538 to pay for transcripts used to outline 27 violations of five Florida bar rules.
Source

And right on the heels of his Freedom Award too. :LOL:

Don't worry, punishment by the law only commands greater respect of him by his supporters.

love Jack's response:

" In a statement sent out to the press today, Thompson repeated his assertions that Tunis has no jurisdiction because her loyalty oath is, according to him, forged. Last month, he repeated his accusation before abruptly walking out of a hearing in Tunis' court"

he's insane

I read the title as "Jack Thompson facing permanent dismemberment." This is also good.

What? Is that how your supposed to treat someone who recieved the freedom award?

I have to wonder how he got to the bar in the first place.

because i think his nuttiness has grown exponentially over the years... so back when he was a student, they were probably like "okay this guy's a bit nutty, but hey it's florida, let's give GW the election! oh wait that's not for another few years.... bar application passed!"

I didn't know people still knew who Jack Thompson was.

Back