Joust: the Movie, coming soon to theater near you

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
dear god no:

A Hollywood production company is planning a big-budget film version of the classic Midway arcade game Joust, according to a report Monday on GameDaily.com.

Will the film include giant flapping flightless birds and pterodactyls? The producers aren't saying, but apparently the screenwriter's vision for the film includes a futuristic Las Vegas suspended in the sky.

http://games.ign.com/articles/816/816002p1.html

great game, not so great movie idea ...will it be another Michael Bay extraveganza? will it feature guys with lances astride ostriches attacking directionally challenged pterodactyls intent on eating thier eggs?

That was an awesome game, I loved it.

This is commercial suicide. The bulk of the movie going public aren't going to have a clue as to what this film is based on. The whole point of adapting a video game is because they have built in audiences!!!! Oh yea, crappy concept.

This is commercial suicide. The bulk of the movie going public aren't going to have a clue as to what this film is based on. The whole point of adapting a video game is because they have built in audiences!!!! Oh yea, crappy concept.

what, the flapping ostriches and giant eggs arent a dead give away?

I dunno, it's based on a game from 1982, I bet 90 percent of my generation have never heard of it.

I dunno, it's based on a game from 1982, I bet 90 percent of my generation have never heard of it.

heh, I was being sarcastic ..I played that game to death and even I had to do a double take while reading the article .."joust? wtf isnt it 20 years too late?"

EMOTICONS!!!!

Otherwise you never know what to take seriously on the internet....

there's no sarcasim emoticon ;( ...oh and most of everything I say is sarcastic <- including that :O

What Hollywood whore shat this idea onto a film studio's plate.

Joust eh? Never heard of it capt'.

What Hollywood whore shat this idea onto a film studio's plate.

these whores:

Hollywood Producers Christine Peters (Area 51, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days) and Michael Cerenzie (Blackout, Black Water Transit) created CP Productions to focus on the under-25 filmgoer. The first of many projects coming from the new production studio is a new imagining of Midway Games' classic Joust arcade game.

"Joust is an arcade game that's as old as Pac-Man and has global awareness," said Cerenzie. "We took one element of the game and the brand itself and built a whole new world around it for the film." [I bet it was the flapping -stern]

Cerenzie calls the new script by Marc Gottlieb "Gladiator meets Mad Max." The film is set 25 years in the future and includes a Las Vegas suspended in mid-air.

"We've updated the game into a commercial, tent pole movie," said Cerenzie. "Marc has done an amazing job in creating a tantalizing and filmic world based on the original game." [in las vegas no less]

"This film is the type of action-packed story that appeals to all four quadrants of the movie-going public [wha?] and we are excited to be in the Midway Games business once again," said Peters.

"You need these kids to come in on Friday with a film's opening today because they're texting their friends right after the movie and you no longer have until Sunday," said Cerenzie.

The plan is to launch the new Joust franchise with a graphic novel, which is being penned by Steven Elliot Altman of DC Comics and Dark Horse Comics, and will be based on Gottlieb's screenplay. The film has been given the fast track by CP Productions and should be wrapped by June 2008. Several A-list directors are already interested in helming this sci-fi/action project. [please be Michael bay, please be Michael bay, please be Michael bay, please be Michael bay]

"We'll cap each film with a moderate budget and bring in awareness with games, graphic novels, and toys," said Peters. "If you look at what Transformers did this summer, it reached well beyond the P&A. Today's kids grew up with games and graphic novels and we have that type of fan base to tap into with these projects."

****ing transformers is evil ../me shakes fist at Darkside

"I did all of my films with independent financing, which is a model we're doing with this company," said Cerenzie. "We're doing a lot of co-financing deals with studios and in some cases we're just using them for distribution. We're bringing money to the table, plus the video games, which gets a greenlight much quicker in Hollywood."

move over Uwe Boll there's a new hack in town ...they couldnt possibly be worse than Boll ......could they?

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17262

Oh god. When will this ****wits learn? GAME TO MOVIE ADAPTION = LITTLE PROFIT.

This is probably coming from the same people who think that their kids might delete their Quicken files in order to install Doom 1 and partake in some p2p-based multiplayer Satanism.

there's no sarcasim emoticon ;( ...oh and most of everything I say is sarcastic <- including that :O

What about this one ;), that's what i use. I hope nobody here thinks ive been making passes at them.....or do i;)

see.

Stern said:
****ing transformers is evil ../me shakes fist at Darkside
It's not our fault! It's not...yeah ok it's our fault. People were making bad game-to-movie translations for years now but this one takes the cake, and I will say that Transformers' success has Hollywood gobbling up any and all properties it can from 20 years ago trying to revive them and make a buck.

But Joust? I can't wrap my head around that one. I honestly can't see anything at all that would make this a good movie. And what is up with "focus on the under-25 filmgoer?" It's Joust...most people of ANY age don't remember Joust unless they were a gamer, and under 25 you can almost forget it. Eh.

You know what I'm eagerly awaiting? The Sinistar movie. So I can throw things at the screen.

Wow, this is probably the worst game they could do.

What's next, Pac Man!

Wasn't there supposed to be a live-action Pac Man? Seriously I think I heard something about that.

Joust as a movie... what will they think up next? I really enjoyed the game, but I do not think it movie quality.

Back