JUST A RUMOR: Half-Life Might Be Delayed Until Next Year!

Kschreck

Reaction score
"Arrests have been made in several countries related to the break-in to Valve's network, theft of the Half-Life 2 source code, and release of the source code on the Internet.

Rumours of such arrests had been doing the rounds for over a month now, without any official word. This is the first time that the FBI has confirmed arrests, with agent Ray Lauer in Seattle, refusing to comment further, since it is an ongoing case investigated by the Northwest Cyber Crime Task Force, a group of federal, state and local investigators.

Valve has also issued a press release in which the company's CEO, Gabe Newell thanks the gaming community by saying: Within a few days of the announcement of the break-in, the online gaming community had tracked down those involved. It was extraordinary to watch how quickly and how cleverly gamers were able to unravel what are traditionally unsolvable problems for law enforcement related to this kind of cyber-crime.

Thousands of tips were received related to the criminal activities, with a core group of people who were able to analyze and backtrack from these clues. Subsequent to these individuals being identified, Valve has been working with various national authorities to prepare cases against those involved, leading to these arrests.

It was very uplifting to see how the community rallied and tracked these people down. Everyone here at Valve is once again reminded of how much we owe to the gaming community, added Mr. Newell.

The number of people arrested, their location and the extent of their implication in the theft is not clear yet but recent rumours suggest a German, also responsible for the Phatbot worm, may have been involved. Whether the arrests will tie-in the theft with other stories of equipment being seized in San Francisco and of keystroke recorders installed at Valve's offices, remains to be seen.

Although the current news must make most H-L 2 fans happy, the timing casts a question mark over the game's release date. Following the theft, Half-Life 2's release changed from Christmas 2003 to sometime in 2004, it was only just before E3 that Valve begun b>not denying a possible summer release date. A look at Vivendi Universal's, H-L 2's publisher, mid-year release timetable however, raises some doubt over the summer release since the game is not included. What is even more troubling is that the timetable includes other titles, known to have a planned Christmas release for VU Games, suggesting that H-L 2 may miss the holidays of 2004 as well.

Let us hope that Valve choose to recognize the help they received from the gaming community and stick to the summer release we have all been hoping for." -Quote

The Source:

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/h-l2arrestsandpossibledelay.shtml

Looks like you guys might have to wait yet another year to play Half-Life 2! :LOL: Everything in that article is true. If you check the Vivendi release schedule for the year, you'll notice that ever game BUT Half-Life 2 is on it. I''m sure this stuff has been talked about before or whatever, but I don't come to the board a an hourly basis. So what do you guys think of all this delay madness?

As I said at steampowered, I'm not sure this tells us anything one way or the other. Valve, unlike many other developers, owns its own title. And they have been unwilling to give a date to anyone after the last fiasco. As far as I know, they haven't had a date on Vivendi's calendar since "April 2004" fell through.

You might not see HL2 on vivendi's list because Seirra is publishing it.

lol...

rollbarf.gif

you seem almost happy that it may be late? well, the smiley suggests that, anyway.

I'm just waiting to hear from valve. I would rather have an announced delay now than wait for 3, 4, or even more months, info-less, to find out when the game goes gold.

But, assuming what gabe and valve in general has told us (in the testing/optimization stages), it should come out in the near future (1-2 months, being optimistic)

VALVe don't have to tell Vivendi anything. It's VALVe's money that paid for HL-2, if anything it's Vivendi that need VALVe, with HL-2 probably being their biggest seller of the year.

maybe its just me...but i don't get the connection of the theft to when HL2 will be released.. someone care to explain?

yes, Valve got hacked.. HL2 source code stolen.. blahblahblahblah.. so what? why would a theft delay the game now?

doesn't make sense from how i see it.

Vivendi don't need Valve hahahaha Dummy. Blizzard makes more money than Valve does. You think they give a damn. The money is allready in their pocket.

you see since the FBI is involved in the whole thing they could delay the game because well FBI wants to find the people and releasing the game maybe a wrong move (just speculation) or it may be considered as evidence so in under law it cannot be released untill court ordered but that was disbanded when they showed stuffs at E3 this year.. damn it. it better be just heads down finish the FUnkin game.

thank you valve. you rule.. hugs and all.

Citizen 1150421 said:
you see since the FBI is involved in the whole thing they could delay the game because well FBI wants to find the people and releasing the game maybe a wrong move (just speculation) or it may be considered as evidence so in under law it cannot be released untill court ordered but that was disbanded when they showed stuffs at E3 this year.. damn it. it better be just heads down finish the FUnkin game.

thank you valve. you rule.. hugs and all.

They found the people already...

Half-Life 2 is not listed on Vivendi's release schedule.

Uninformed journalist conclusion - It will possibly be delayed till 2005.

That's all this is about.

The Thing said:
They found the people already...

yeah.. and that is why i am puzzled that the game could be delayed.
besides.. the game content worked on after the theft is not in question right? because it had nothing to do with the theft.. the only part of the game is in question is the early builds.. right? just trying to make sense of this..

I think Vivendi and Valve are going to release the game without ever publishing a release date. This might be better in some ways espically if it is soon. Instead of waiting anxiously in anticipation you could be playing the game! (well, probably not.)

Kschreck said:
Looks like you guys might have to wait yet another year to play Half-Life 2! :LOL: Everything in that article is true. If you check the Vivendi release schedule for the year, you'll notice that ever game BUT Half-Life 2 is on it. I''m sure this stuff has been talked about before or whatever, but I don't come to the board a an hourly basis. So what do you guys think of all this delay madness?

Its not on the list becuase that list is the Fall04/winter05 list.

Hazar Dakiri said:
You might not see HL2 on vivendi's list because Seirra is publishing it.

Welcome to the land of Wrong.
population: You.

Hazar Dakiri said:
I think Vivendi and Valve are going to release the game without ever publishing a release date. This might be better in some ways espically if it is soon. Instead of waiting anxiously in anticipation you could be playing the game! (well, probably not.)

We all wish this were true, because if it were, that may mean we could be playing it tomorrow or the next day. I'm saying could, i know it's very unlikely. I bet they will give a release date, but it will be only a week before the game is released, that way they know it's ready.

Pushing the game to 2005 will only hurt valve more. They will *NOT* push it to 2005, or even november/december of 2004. I am willing to bet a free copy of the game on this.

If I win, the copy goes to me, if I lose, the copy goes to me. Deal?

Heh, I could start thread like that too, and half of people will laugh at my stupidity, another half will believe me and start whining about how valve raped their mother, ruined their life, made them fat.

Vivendi on HL2's Release Date : "ummm........ooohh.....hmmm......dunno"
Valve on HL2's Release Date: "Summer, summer, summer and....summer"

I don't think Valve would risk lying to us again about the release date would you?

this thread should be deleted :( Other hl2 sites that copy out stuff will read this and start the "oMG liEK th3y r p0stp0niNG Hl2 ag4IN!!11!" accusations :(

lol,

I learned that after I posted and was looking around on their site.

btw, sigger?

I have a very good feeling that it will be out this summer. On the off chance that they do not release the game this summer, I will immediately begin searching for the leaked build, as I have yet to play it. I am very anxious to play this damn game, and in the unlikely chance it isn't released, I'll have to give in and play the beta. I can't wait much longer guys, seriously.

Hazar Dakiri said:
lol,

btw, sigger?
ohh its a abreviation of signature

I dunno Shuzer, I just found it funny.

Hazar Dakiri said:
lol,

btw, sigger?

sigger = signature

gotcha,

Where did the september 1st release date come from?

we've known this since E3, the reason was that Valve didn't want to give Vivendi an official release date, so they didn't add the game to their list of upcoming games

On Vivendi's press site there's no mention of Half-Life 2 at all. Not even a "Half-Life 2 announced" press release.

So, according to Vivendi, Half-Life 2 doesn't exist.

OH NOES!!!1

EDIT: Before anyone says anything, I'm talking about all their press releases. Not their site in General.

Seriously, someone give me a link to a "Half-Life 2 announced" press release at http://www.vugames.com/corporate_news.do

There was no mention of it in their "E3 2003" press release either.

Imagine how retard HalfLife2.net will look if game is pushed to 2005, because Valve are chanting "Summer, Summer, Summer!" like last year they were chanting "September 30th, September 30th...!", and Fragmaster will join PlanetHalf.com again with a new air of supremecy :D

This thread is bs, Gabe and Doug already explained this, so dont start fighting about it.

I thought all along that Sept 30th was optimistic so I wasn't that shocked to hear it was delayed. Again, the christmas thing was a blow because I thought they might actually release it then but the hack (and subsequent recovery) did add to the delay. Valve never said it would be out in April, Vivendi did, so Valve haven't lied. I believe the game will be released mid-summer (July) like Valve have stated.

Given the stage that Valve are at (and they've never claimed to have been at a stage before) says that they aren't lying, or they're extremely stupid. Considering they make the best FPS games, they must have some intelligence.

Blah, bla,h blah, speculate, rumour, fabrication, blah, blah, blah, nonsense, blah, blah.

exactly the same attitude was abound before september 30 last year. hilarious how people thought they couldnt be wrong.

Back