Just bought the DVD for Half Life 2 from a shop, where do I put the key?

Dead_Lee

Reaction score
I have installed the game, but whenever I click shortcuts to open it it just takes me to the steam page and offers me to buy it. There is no option to put in the serial key anywhere. The game came with Counter Strike: Source and only one key

Can anyone help?

At the bottom left of the steam window, there is a button saying "Add a game." Click on it, and go to "Activate a Product on Steam" then follow the prompts. Also, are you sure CS:S comes with the full half life 2 game, and not just the base files it needed from hl2?

yeah, the only thing I'm worried about mind is that I bought it for 99p from a trade in shop Cash Converter, so it's likely the code has already been used.

DAMNIT it's a duplicate. Sadface.

Second hand copies of Half-life 2 are all going to yield the same results unfortunately. Although 99p isn't too much of a loss. I'm glad you're interested in revisiting the Half-life 2, I'll see if I can help you through Steam. Give me a nudge on Steam community at some point.

You got ripped off. The disc is worthless without the code and even if you get a new code or buy it off Steam after you install from the disc you'll need to download a large amount of updates before you can play. Sorry. :(

As far as I am concerned people who sell games that they know won't work are tantamount to thieves. This guy indirectly took your money for something he knew would not work.

Heres what I suggest. You go out and buy a new boxed copy of the game, and report to valve that you bought the game but the CD key says invalid. They will ask for pic of the receipt and the CD key - Snap the new receipt and the old CD key - Valve will remove Half life 2 from the user that sold the game and add it to your account - Return the unopened boxed copy for a refund.

As far as I am concerned people who sell games that they know won't work are tantamount to thieves. This guy indirectly took your money for something he knew would not work.

Heres what I suggest. You go out and buy a new boxed copy of the game, and report to valve that you bought the game but the CD key says invalid. They will ask for pic of the receipt and the CD key - Snap the new receipt and the old CD key - Valve will remove Half life 2 from the user that sold the game and add it to your account - Return the unopened boxed copy for a refund.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. He only spent 99p on it, just buy the game legit and use the new key.

Could you explain why? He's bought something from someone, and they have effectively not handed it over (Still on their account) Why shouldn't he try to rectify that? Sure its only 99p, but he was still ripped off, its the principle of the thing.

I just don't think rectifying it by pulling one over Valve is 'the right thing to do'.

The idea that it is "Putting one over Valve" assumes that you accept the principle that you don't have the right to sell a game. I personally do not think this is acceptable. And yes, I know, EULA etc. Doesn't make it morally defensible.

As far as I am concerned, valve do not lose out here, the only person that will lose anything is the seller, and that serves him rights, as I mentioned above.

I have a gift copy of the game, OP why don't you hit me up on Steam and I'll give it to ya.

Back